Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

flashicon.jpg
Adobe has released a "critical update" for its Adobe Flash Player software on both Mac and Windows, addressing a zero-day vulnerability that gives complete control over compromised systems to hackers.

The vulnerability affects all Macs with Adobe Flash Player version 12.0.0.43 and earlier and all users are urged to update immediately. Adobe has a site where users can check what version of Flash they have installed. The latest version of Flash can be downloaded from Adobe's website.
Adobe has released security updates for Adobe Flash Player 12.0.0.43 and earlier versions for Windows and Macintosh and Adobe Flash Player 11.2.202.335 and earlier versions for Linux. These updates address a critical vulnerability that could potentially allow an attacker to remotely take control of the affected system. Adobe is aware of reports that an exploit for this vulnerability exists in the wild, and recommends users update their product installations to the latest versions.

These updates resolve an integer underflow vulnerability that could be exploited to execute arbitrary code on the affected system.
Adobe thanked Alexander Polyakov and Anton Ivanov of Kaspersky Labs for discovering the vulnerability, but the company did not specify precisely how it works.

Article Link: Adobe Releases 'Critical' Update for Flash After Security Vulnerability Discovered

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
And people still want to try and give Apple crap for trying to rid us of this hot mess of a format.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Why do sites continue to use Flash? And why do people wonder why Apple has such problems with Flash (and Adobe)?

I've completely removed it and only run Chrome when I need it.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Flash has its uses, people. Can't believe some of the comments here.

Whenever I need to torture test a computer, I run a Flash video. Certainly easier than running Intel Burn/Prime95. ;)

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Can't wait until Flash is not needed at all anymore on any device.
Oh and Silverlight too while we're at it (I'm looking at you Netflix).

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Why does Adobe insist on naming the file install_flash_player_osx.dmg?

Why can't they append the version number to it?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
In other news - a company is responding to an issue with their software to plug a security vulnerability. But yet, some MacRumors posters find a reason to make this a bad thing.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
In other news - a company is responding to an issue with their software to plug a security vulnerability. But yet, some MacRumors posters find a reason to make this a bad thing.

That's because when they update their software its almost always for a security vulnerability. And generally its a fairly massive one.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
That's because when they update their software its almost always for a security vulnerability. And generally its a fairly massive one.

I see no reason to bash them for being responsive. There are plenty of companies that leave known security leaks for months on end...

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I see no reason to bash them for being responsive. There are plenty of companies that leave known security leaks for months on end...

I applaud them for being responsive. The people at Adobe are fine and they produce some good products.

Flash is just not one of them. It's a buggy resource hog that is the security weak link for most computers.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I hate Flash for the same reason I hate Java - at least in Windows. Endless updates that do not change the user experience but just take up bandwidth and time, and stupid flashing notifications.
Oh, and Adobe Reader - so now I have to give it permission to open a PDF every time, as there is a security hole and I am supposed to take responsibility for it?!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I hate Flash for the same reason I hate Java - at least in Windows. Endless updates that do not change the user experience but just take up bandwidth and time, and stupid flashing notifications.
Oh, and Adobe Reader - so now I have to give it permission to open a PDF every time, as there is a security hole and I am supposed to take responsibility for it?!
Same goes for Windows in a sense too--the mere popularity of those things gets people to focus on exploiting them and find anything and everything they can to do so. The fact that they are fixing issues often is a positive thing, and and to be annoyed for having to install updates or something like that, well, that's certainly way less important and less meaningful than actually not addressing the issues.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
And people still want to try and give Apple crap for trying to rid us of this hot mess of a format.

Because they didn't just try, they shut it out of their platform long before the alternative was ready. Of course, there are still some things that there isn't anything better than flash for, but we should ignore that.

----------

Steve predicted this.

He predicted that Adobe would continue to try to make their software better? Woe is them, they're doing the responsible thing. They should just plug their ears and pretend that vulnerabilities don't exist. That's the right thing to do, right?

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
It's a shame that I still have to install it as many websites still ask for it :mad:

Now shutting down Safari to update.

EDIT: I even had to close the system preferences for the update...this is getting ridiculous :rolleyes:

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
It seems like there is a dancing update notice in the dock every week and the installation process is sort of odd and often difficult in itself. However, various videos play and there are animations that seem to work right and so what is the alternative?

brunerd

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2009
Chicago
Silverlight down, Flash to go

Can't wait until Flash is not needed at all anymore on any device.
Oh and Silverlight too while we're at it (I'm looking at you Netflix).

Good news, login to Netflix, Account -> Playback Settings, you'll notice a new option "Prefer HTML5 Player instead of Silverlight" :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.