Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has hired Roy J.E.M Raymann, from Philips Research, for its iWatch team, according to a report from 9to5Mac. The hire is the latest in a long series of recent reports that suggest Apple is hiring a wide variety of health and medical sensor experts for its upcoming iWatch product.

According to Raymann's LinkedIn biography, his main research is in "how to optimize rest and activity", "non-pharmacological approaches to promote sleep", and "interpretation of ambulatory physiological and biomechanical data". He did other research on sleep and coffee, power napping, and he founded the Philips Sleep Experience Laboratory, a non-clinical sleep research facility.

philipsresearch.png
Philips Research has been involved in many major technological advancements, including the development of the compact disc, LED lightbulbs, the MRI, and more.
Philips Research is a global organization that helps Philips introduce meaningful innovations that improve people's lives. We provide technology options for innovations in the area of health and well-being, targeted at both developed and emerging markets. Positioned at the front-end of the innovation process, we work on everything from spotting trends and ideation to proof of concept and - where needed - first-of-a-kind product development.
The hire suggests Apple could be looking to help iWatch buyers with tracking and improving sleep, while also possibly tracking other health data like pulse and activity, and blood data like glucose levels. Several current fitness tracking devices are designed to track both sleep length and sleep quality. For example, bands like the Jawbone UP and the Fitbit Force are both able to slip into a night time monitoring mode that keeps track of sleep.

Philips confirmed to 9to5Mac that Raymann no longer works at the company, but would not say where he was currently employed.

Article Link: Apple Hires Sleep Expert From Philips Research to Work on iWatch

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Just now hiring doesn't bode well for a 2014 release.

Apple took their sweet time with both the iPad and the iPhone and I believe they're taking the same care to only release the iWatch when it's something that will blow everybody away.

Many moves are being made on the TV front while several preparatory steps for the iWatch still haven't materialized. For AppleTV, a snowballing speed of new app releases, new content contracts, decreasing reliance on traditional tv networks and increasing popularity of internet based ones (i.e. Netflix), server farm buildout, an impending UI revamp and holding back on Apple Displays. An AppleTV is bursting at the seams to come out.

Something big is coming for TV this year and Apple will not want one key product to steal the spotlight from another.

Timeline:

WWDC2014: New AppleTV UI and app store for developers to start working on. New AppleTV (box) with select experimental iWatch components hidden inside (i.e. a miniaturized chipset).

iOS 8 announcement: Healthbook app revealed as the focus of iOS8. Getting this right will be key to the success of the iWatch. It'll be tested out as an iPhone app first.

iPhone 6 announcement: Experimental parts for the iWatch used inside the new iPhone. A new version of the motion processor chip, a smaller chipset, a big leap in battery efficiency and some sort of wireless charging would be important for an iWatch. If all of these make their way into the iPhone 6, we'll have a good hint that the iWatch is not far behind.

Last edited:

smizzle

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Wow, the iWatch keeps sounding better and better. I've gone from no interest to must have over the past few months. The health and fitness stuff is a much bigger draw to me than the weird "smart phone features crammed into a watch" approach we've seen from others. Can't wait for the official reveal!

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
Does Philips have any good products? Can't remember the last time I bought something philips, maybe in the 80s

o0smoothies0o

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2013
Wow, the iWatch keeps sounding better and better. I've gone from no interest to must have over the past few months. The health and fitness stuff is a much bigger draw to me than the weird "smart phone features crammed into a watch" approach we've seen from others. Can't wait for the official reveal!

Anyone intelligent knew this was the device it was going to be from the first rumors, since the first rumors already pointed to expansive biosensors. I've tried to convince numerous morons that thought it would be awful that it wasn't at all designed to tell you time.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Anyone intelligent knew this was the device it was going to be from the first rumors, since the first rumors already pointed to expansive biosensors. I've tried to convince numerous morons that thought it would be awful that it wasn't at all designed to tell you time.

"Anyone intelligent" would assume the first few rumors were 100% credible? :rolleyes:

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
this iWatch will have so many health sensors that it will be impossible for me to catch a cold.

Unfortunately, at this rate the iWatch will be in the shops when I am too old to take benefit...

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
Probably he got hired a year ago or more.

And probably they alrdy have the sensors installed in prototyps but need a guy to read the data coming of that sensor.

If the iwatch can count how much masurbation i need to get an orgasum and track my progression over time, ill buy one on day one.

smizzle

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

Please accept my humble apology for not being intelligent enough to immediately know exactly what the device was going to be based on the first rumors. I think I speak for the entire planet when I say that we all wish we were as smart as you.

CR7tique

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013
Don't understand why Apple is attracted to the wearable tech arena. Personally, I want to carry the least amount possible, and with the gradual integration of nfc capabilities seems as though the wallet will become obsolete sooner than later.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Need to hire a researcher whose expertise is in larger screens for mobile phones.

I sleep just fine LOL.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
So basically, regarding all the rumors, this will be far from the typical retarded smartwatches that we see today? looks already much more usefull and interesting at this point than those pebble and galaxy smartwatches

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.