Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
This is in no way intended to start a Windows vs. OS X vs. other OS battle, but I thought the graph in the article was interesting...

Oops, Windows XP gains in January but so does Windows 8.1

TL;DR XP is still used on around 25% of computers, but Windows 8/8.1 is making gains. Mavericks accounts for around 3.2%...

So the graph in the article separates the various Windows OSes going back to XP, but it only shows Mavericks for OS X followed by linux and an "other" category. But I know there are still a number of Mac users that use older versions of OS X and perhaps even older versions than that. Can we assume that Mac OS is likely larger than 3.2%? Discuss (namely because I don't want to be that Apple troll on a Windows article on Cnet... lol...)!

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Mavericks is 3.2%. Older OS X versions are part of "Other". Windows still dominates, so those older OS X versions are just part of the noise in this chart.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Mavericks is 3.2%. Older OS X versions are part of "Other". Windows still dominates, so those older OS X versions are just part of the noise in this chart.

That's what I figured, and I knew Windows would be way ahead anyway. I'm just not a fan of how they skewed OS X to look SO small in comparison when we probably have a 5 or 6% share at least.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Not skewed at all, unless there is an older version of OS X that beats Linux's 1.6%. Since the article was about Windows, they could have just clumped OS X and Linux under "Other".

guineaphinea

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2014
Windows still rules and dominates the market (at least the reliable/easy to use versions :p). Where I live (Eastern NC), ALL of our schools and government buildings both in my county and surrounding ones all use Windows machines which I'm sure is a HUGE contribution to numbers like these.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.