Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Only if you go half-n-half on a street sweeper rental first.

Oh wait, I drive a VW group vehicle - and as Mr. May has shown - could not care less about the conditions of that field. ;)

Not entirely sure what was so tantalizing about the airport, especially considering the Top Gear test track itself... but there was something about that place.

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
I guess if your going at 180+mph that dust and sand is going to do damage but that hole on the Ferrari would piss me off.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
Only if you go half-n-half on a street sweeper rental first.

Oh wait, I drive a VW group vehicle - and as Mr. May has shown - could not care less about the conditions of that field. ;)

Not entirely sure what was so tantalizing about the airport, especially considering the Top Gear test track itself... but there was something about that place.

Well it does have a very long runway 4KM almost 2.5 miles.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
After the 2nd episode being completely boring, the last two have been great. Last nights was hilarious. Those poor people being blasted by 600 HP. :D

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
After the 2nd episode being completely boring, the last two have been great. Last nights was hilarious. Those poor people being blasted by 600 HP. :D

I suspect that those people were paid actors. The only real bit was when they smashed into the side of those canal boats. You could see from their faces that it was a mistake.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I suspect that those people were paid actors. The only real bit was when they smashed into the side of those canal boats. You could see from their faces that it was a mistake.

Most likely, but I wouldn't be pissed off I was there and they showed up with that. :D

Not to mention the poor actor they ran over too. ;)

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Good episode. Only thing I didn't like about it was the whole crossovers are bland and indistinguishable bit was a bit forced. Really? James would confuse the Mitsubishi as the VW? I enjoyed the challenge overall though.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Thought tonight's episode was a bit boring, and the Brit thing was so forced at the end!

Anyway, it was before the much superior programme of 'Das Auto'. Much more truthful :p

Basically, the British car industry is a bit crap and TG just can't admit it.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
The episode was okay. I enjoyed Weber's lap and the F-type review more than the last bit.

And now the grueling wait begins for the next series. :(

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Thought tonight's episode was a bit boring, and the Brit thing was so forced at the end!

Anyway, it was before the much superior programme of 'Das Auto'. Much more truthful :p

Basically, the British car industry is a bit crap and TG just can't admit it.

I would strongly disagree with the last point.

Germany Lost the war - Which meant that:

Working class Germans
Middle class Germans
Upper class Germans

ALL lost the war, which meant they were all in it togerther and when the German car industry was being rebuilt they were rebuilding it together.

In Britian class war resumed, the Working class wanting more respect and a greater share of the countrys wealth, the Upper class wanted the Status Quo to continue and the middle class found themselves stuck in the middle.

Complanacy and Industrail strife devestated the British car industry - and by the time we got it sorted it was all over for British owned car Brands.

As Top Gear shows howver, we are very good at making cars - but we were decades behind the Germans in getting to this point.

On a similar note the above could also be applied to Japan.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Well Top Gear is back.... Yes I watched it over the Superbowl. Cars> football.....

Anyway, mixed feelings. It started out decently, but not sure about the end. I mean, I was laughing at all of the TGPD equipment they had at their disposal, but at the same time seemed over the top even for this show.....

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
The Top Gear Megathread! Mark II

I looked forward to it's return with trepidation as it has become a bit farcical over the last few series. It didn't disappoint in that respect last night.

Plus, not one car review.

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
The Top Gear Megathread! Mark II

Started great. I LOL'd when Hamster got excited on the downhill ditched and rolled his hatchback.

I LOLd at the wrapping mess.

Then it went downhill.

The stunt where he and Clarkson didn't even try in the supermarket, and Hamster came out sliding on his side was so farcically staged/fake it was lame.

The last part where they copped out and just blew two of the cars to pieces... Was obnoxiously fake and lame.

I get the show is staged. But damn, they used to at least feign authenticity. :(

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Seeing those cars brought back some memories...

They were trying too hard though, not as funny as the producers probably thought it would be.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Started great. I LOL'd when Hamster got excited on the downhill ditched and rolled his hatchback.

I LOLd at the wrapping mess.

Then it went downhill.

The stunt where he and Clarkson didn't even try in the supermarket, and Hamster came out sliding on his side was so farcically staged/fake it was lame.

The last part where they copped out and just blew two of the cars to pieces... Was obnoxiously fake and lame.

I get the show is staged. But damn, they used to at least feign authenticity. :(

You don't actually believe that Hammond actually rolled his car, do you?

Seeing those cars brought back some memories...

They were trying too hard though, not as funny as the producers probably thought it would be.

That could be said about the last five or so years' worth of Top Gear.

I think I just watch as a kind of force of habit more than any genuine sense of entertainment.

joemod

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Athens, Greece
You don't actually believe that Hammond actually rolled his car, do you?

That could be said about the last five or so years' worth of Top Gear.

I think I just watch as a kind of force of habit more than any genuine sense of entertainment.

So do I. Watching again episodes of few years back (e.g. Transfăgărășan) , don't make me laugh at all. I feel everything is scripted and there isn't any improvisation.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
So do I. Watching again episodes of few years back (e.g. Transfgran) , don't make me laugh at all. I feel everything is scripted and there isn't any improvisation.

Yep, same here. It used to be some mates having a laugh and riffing off each other and they obviously realised that's what made it popular and tried to force it.....which has failed really.

The only thing that saves it is the cinematography which is rather beautiful at times.

Fifth Gear is a much better car programme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.