Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gr4z

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
England
Hi

I currently have a MBP 2010 15" with Windows 8.1 installed. I have noticed if I am using an external keyboard and screen and close the lid the Pro heats up nicely - I assume this is because of the dGPU and Windows inability to dynamically swap with the iGPU and fans having to work overtime owing to the laptop being closed?

I am looking at buying a new MBP 13" Retina very soon and wondered if I would suffer the same issues as the 13 only has a iGPU?

Can anyone comment on the rough battery life on a 13 with W8.1 and bootcamp? I am getting around 2 hours on my 2010 15" model but I would expect a fairly big bump with a 13" haswell.

Thanks

Last edited:

Lipid

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2014
No issues at all with latest rMBP-13 on W8.1! Closing the lid just puts windows to sleep. No dedicated graphics = no problems.

With the default Balanced power setting the average consumption is about 5Wt on idle (the cpu being on 0,77GHz). If you do some regular stuff like browsing and using MS Office you will get about 5-6 hours while using Chrome. In contrast Internet Explorer is much better in terms of power savings, so you can get even more.

gr4z

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
England
No issues at all with latest rMBP-13 on W8.1! Closing the lid just puts windows to sleep. No dedicated graphics = no problems

Thanks for this - when i close the lid I am continuing to use the laptop I use the external keyboard, mouse and screen. Does yours suffer any heat issues when using it closed? Thanks again.

Lipid

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2014
Actually I've never tried to use it in this mode. I only connect the mouse and external monitor, but the lid stays half-closed, I'd say about 40-50 degrees just to leave the room for palms to lay on the keyboard. I prefer to use the mac's keyboard. In that mode I never experience any overheating in High Perofmance power plan. The CPU is 40-42C and fan never exceeds 1300 rpm staying dead silent all the time.

I think if I close the lid it will make more heat as the ventillation exhaust will be almost closed, so I prefer the lid to be half-opened.

gr4z

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
England
OK thanks - ordered a new MBP 13" retina last night form the refurb store so will get to try this out in the coming days :) thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.