Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haru

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2014
For those debating whether to get the real vs fake. I would say real only on the basis that you might regret paying $20-$40 which could have gone to paying for a real one. Some people miscalculate that the Section 5 costs around $150 before shipping, when really you should be estimating it to be closer between $100-110 since your already committed to putting out that extra for a case. Whether that amount is worth it is debatable by the individual. However I've seen some costly $80 cases in Best Buy that doesn't look as sleek yet most are willing to spend for absolute protection. Yet debatable again because your paying extra for design vs protection.

If your budget is absolutely less than $50, and your willing accept minor design flaws: then the replica is for you.
If your debating between them, I would assume you could afford an authentic one: go for it. You won't regret it and if you do it would be an easy sell.

The real issue isn't about what other people think. It's about what you think. It's not about what it should cost. It's about what it does cost.
You can fool others but not yourself. Pick which ever one that your happy with knowing the fact that you won't regret it.

Timboo

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
sector 5 screws real vs fake

Wanna ask if the real sector 5 screws will fit into the fake sector 5 because i have stripped most of the screws in my fake sector 5 case and the only way is to buy those screws from element case.

----------

Black case is suppose to have silver screws, I actually replaced the silver ones on my real sector five and think it looks better

----------

They work on the authentic case I switched mine out for black screws I posted pics on the authentic forum

Wanna ask where did you buy those 080 x 1/4" screws for the sector 5, i am looking for it. Can you send me the link?

playtillyadrop

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
What can i do if i stripped my sector 5 screw? urgent :(

try placing a rubber band over the screw and unscrew with a srew driver while the rubber band is on top. This is trick that usually works with stripped screws. You might need a thin rubber band since the screw is small to begin with.

ngocnguyen

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
I highly doubt Element screws will fit in the fake and vise versa...why? Fakes are made in China =metric system. Chances are China uses metric screws while Element (a US company) most likely uses ANSI.

Timboo

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
Also do you know where you can buy the screwdriver for the fake element case sector 5 screws?

----------

I highly doubt Element screws will fit in the fake and vise versa...why? Fakes are made in China =metric system. Chances are China uses metric screws while Element (a US company) most likely uses ANSI.

What is the difference between the metric system and the ''Ansi''?
I have no idea

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK

...totally agree!

Plus the fact that the fake cases are a totally different size to the real Sector 5s from Element.

I have a genuine one from Element and also a fake one which I bought off eBay. When I put the 2 cases side by side, there are several noticeable size differences. The genuine Sector 5 corner pieces are a totally different shape and smaller and shorter than the fake ones. Also, the side rails on the genuine cases are a different length to the fake ones.

If you try to mix and match genuine parts with fake parts - they won't be compatible for these reasons.

If you read my post here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1457484/ (Post #1803) where I compare a genuine case (the blue one) to a fake case (the grey one), you will see that the parts are totally different.

Timboo

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
...totally agree!

Plus the fact that the fake cases are a totally different size to the real Sector 5s from Element.

I have a genuine one from Element and also a fake one which I bought off eBay. When I put the 2 cases side by side, there are several noticeable size differences. The genuine Sector 5 corner pieces are a totally different shape and smaller and shorter than the fake ones. Also, the side rails on the genuine cases are a different length to the fake ones.

If you try to mix and match genuine parts with fake parts - they won't be compatible for these reasons.

If you read my post here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1457484/ (Post #1803) where I compare a genuine case (the
blue one) to a fake case (the grey one), you will see that the parts are totally different.

Yea i have read the review. It is good and detailed. But to make sure can you kindly try to switch those screws from the real sector 5 to the fake sector 5 and see if it fits? If it fits i will order those screws from element case.

ngocnguyen

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
Also do you know where you can buy the screwdriver for the fake element case sector 5 screws?

----------

What is the difference between the metric system and the ''Ansi''?
I have no idea

sorry...ANSI must've thrown you off

mm vs inches

1 inch = 25.4 mm

in other words if you need a 1/8" hex/allen wrench but only have a 3mm...the 3mm may work (loosely) but may end up stripping the head of the screw.

1/8" = 3.18mm....you won't find an exact 3.18mm wrench on this planet.

That is the difference

zerodb

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
Wanna ask if the real sector 5 screws will fit into the fake sector 5 because i have stripped most of the screws in my fake sector 5 case and the only way is to buy those screws from element case.

----------

Wanna ask where did you buy those 080 x 1/4" screws for the sector 5, i am looking for it. Can you send me the link?

Do you have a hobby store near you that sells r/c cars and planes, etc? They would likely have a wide variety of small screws and could probably find what you need.

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
Seriously? It's a fake case. Just get another one. Probably cost not much more a new set of screws.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.