Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I have a friend who had a 3 minute clip of his work featured on the local news. I previously made a bunch of DVD copies on my pc for him to pass out to his friends.

Subsequently, my pc died and I'm trying to burn some new copies for him on my mac (VOB file). My understanding is that handbrake can do this. However, the only options it seems to give me is to convert the video to another format (i.e. H.264). It also doesn't give me the optical drive as an output option. Can someone walk me through this? (sorry, I'm newer to mac).

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
I'm making the assumption that you want your DVD in the standard format which will play on any DVD player.

Handbrake won't burn directly to DVD. You'll have to use Handbrake to convert the VOB to an MP4, then use iDVD or some other burning software to produce your DVD.

Be aware that iDVD is painfully slow at rendering video to the correct format for the DVD, so you may want to set it off just before you go to bed.

I believe Roxio Toast will go straight from VOB to DVD, but if you're not going to be doing this on a regular basis then it's a bit of an unnecessary expense.

There's a free program called DVD Creator by iSkysoft which claims to burn VOBs direct to DVD. I haven't tried it, but as with any freeware, you'd need to do your research to get some feedback from people who've used it already. Hopefully some other forum members will have experience of this and add their advice.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Thank you. Yes, I want to create a DVD that will play natively.

That was a very helpful reply. I appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.