Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Apple should quickly send all the U.S.A. athletes red, white and blue U.S.A. flag stickers of the exact size required (no bigger!) to cover their corporate logo. Other countries flags to those athletes as well. Showing that they all have iPhones.

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
This is utter crap. I've already decided to never buy a Samsung product. Now I can't watch the Olympics. No Samsung, there is this thing called freedom and you can just pound your "rules" up your arse.

Possibly the most stupid comment on Macrumors (and there are a lot). Are you really saying that you can't watch the Olympics because Samsung are involved? i can actually see why Samsung have done this, the 2012 opening ceremony had athletes holding Apple products in pretty much every frame. Saying that you can't watch the Olympics because you might see a Samsung device, or might not see an Apple device is just too far

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
This happens every Olympics with multiple sponsors. I guess 90% of you posting were unaware of that.

That doesn't make it right. I know that similar things go on at other sporting events and I think it's ridiculous there, too. If their logo is on everything else associated with the Olympics, why be so anal about a competitor's logo showing up? And this is directed at all companies, not just Samsung.

It was ridiculous in Vancouver when the Olympics were coming in - stores were banned from all sorts of things for fear they were infringing on other companies.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Apple should quickly send all the U.S.A. athletes red, white and blue U.S.A. flag stickers of the exact size required (no bigger!) to cover their corporate logo. Other countries flags to those athletes as well. Showing that they all have iPhones.

And have all Americans disqualified from the games to help a corporation? Smart move... :rolleyes:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

I think that's a very clever idea! But Apple wouldn't do it because it would cost money. :D

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
The ******** is strong. Who cares, they are the sponsors and can request anything.

Its been done for ages. You dont see pepsi in a coca cola sponsored event now do we?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Possibly the most stupid comment on Macrumors (and there are a lot). Are you really saying that you can't watch the Olympics because Samsung are involved? i can actually see why Samsung have done this, the 2012 opening ceremony had athletes holding Apple products in pretty much every frame. Saying that you can't watch the Olympics because you might see a Samsung device, or might not see an Apple device is just too far

Yeah, fanboyism is rampant in this thread.

C'mon guys, we've all seen the TV shows and movies where the actor is clearing using an Apple product but the Apple logo is either covered up or edited out.

For that matter, other company logos too, not just Apple. Ever seen the villain drive a Ford SUV with a nondescript oval where the logo should be? Or a Toyota vehicle with no badge visible? On Stargate Atlantis they used what look like Dell Latitude D800 series laptops everywhere, but the rear panel is conveniently covered with an Atlantis crest where the Dell logo should be.

What if it was Apple that had sponsored the Olympics and decreed "no Samsung logos visible please"? The tone in this thread would be far, far different.

:rolleyes:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This is actually insanely common in the Olympics, though Samsung is taking it to a bit of an extreme.

It's actually a huge issue for athletes in less prestige sports because they can't wear their sponsor's logos, which means they can't cash in on being in the Olympics. I remember in the last summer Olympics this was an issue, because runners couldn't even tweet or share that they were sponsored by, say, Adidas, because Nike had a stranglehold on the Olympics.

It's fine for a Lindsey Vonn to be sponsored by, I think, UnderArmor, because they can cash in on her fame long after the Olympics have passed...but if you're not super famous and your ten minutes of fleeting sports glory fall during the Olympics and your sponsor isn't Nike...oh well.

Difference is it doesn't appear that Samsung is sponsoring individual athletes. In that case Samsung really shouldn't have a say in what phone the athletes are using. I remember during the London Olympics athletes were given S3's but you still saw plenty of them holding up iPhones in the crowd. My guess is there is no way to really enforce this.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I think that's a very clever idea! But Apple wouldn't do it because it would cost money. :D

its not far off how teams handle logo's at the olympics. Again referencing hockey.

many players will wear their own equipment to the Olympics. Especially goaltenders.

Most equipment has the logo of the manufacturer on it. If the Manufacturer is not a sponsor at the olympics, the IOC makes them block out the logo.

If you want to see this really in full swing, Take a look at goalies masks. You'll find many of them with either IOC stickers, or their countries flag as a sticker covering up the corporate logo they aren't allowed to represent.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
This is utter crap. I've already decided to never buy a Samsung product. Now I can't watch the Olympics. No Samsung, there is this thing called freedom and you can just pound your "rules" up your arse.
Freedom? Why do you think the games are in Russia this year?
I'm more concerned about the spirit of the olympic games as its board of director complied to that request... Money buys everything...

Actually, this is a long standing Olympic practice. At most, Samsung is taking advantage of it. In both the Beijing and London games, the Olympic committee had people taping over the brands of the BATHROOM fixtures. Because the manufacturers were not official sponsors.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
For all of you bashing Samsung, you need to read the article more closely. The Olympic Committee asked this and it has always been done.

I'm not a Samsung fan (the company, obviously their components are great) but it's silly to make this sound like Samsung had anything to do with this.

energyboy

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2014
Why are there so many vicious comments here against Samsung? This completely normal corporate behaviour, Apple would have done the same thing. I've worked in advertising for a number of years and not one client has ever been 'OK' with a competitors logo being shown next to theirs under any circumstance.

Also, I don't recall any backlash when Apple demanded to have their own booth when selling their iPhones at every vendor, completely avoiding any competitors presence with branding and logos.... so why all the fuss?

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
The ironic part of this majority of people can spot Apple devices a mile away even if it has a cover on it good job Samsung. A sticker over the Apple logo that will probably just bring more attention to the device. Again great job Samsung.

tlevier

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Littleton, CO
When the Olympics became a business instead of a competition, that's when I stopped caring. Ostensibly, this means that I stopped caring sometime before I was born.

There should be a competition that determines who the strongest person in the world is, etc. But you can't do that if you put terms and conditions on involvement. The games should belong to the world and athletes should not be bound by anything.

Since it has become a business, objective competition has given way to subjective competition. It no longer matters if you are the fastest, strongest, or most dominant; but if you are the most graceful and well liked among the judges.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wow guys, this is normal practice.

Something similar happened with the first Spiderman movie, where Sony wanted to hide Samsung's logo during the scene that happens in Time Square.

It is a very common practice and I can assure you that any other company would've done the same if they were the main sponsor, including Apple but then again, does Apple ever sponsor anything? Their fault, not Samsung's.

That's a very poor comparison. It's one thing to control what appears in your very controlled movie, it's quite another to ask hundreds of athletes to hide the Apple logos on the devices they use every day, and will use even more at a photo-heavy event like the Olympics.

Also, while Apple doesn't strictly sponsor anything––as someone mentioned, they don't need to––they do provide free Apple products for Hollywood.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
The ******** is strong. Who cares, they are the sponsors and can request anything.

Its been done for ages. You dont see pepsi in a coca cola sponsored event now do we?

We had a Soda Stream add during super bowl.

EDIT: Although, admittedly it was censored in that a line "Sorry coke and pepsi" was supposed to be removed when aired on TV during the game

Last edited:

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Maybe because they invested millions? Wouldn't you want to protect your investment? Don't forget that the IOC agreed to this.

I don't care that the IOC agreed to this, I have my suspicions about whether or not corruption is still going on, even though they say that there isn't.

My point is that I don't care what company is doing this, when their logo is going to be plastered all over the place by *default*, trying to tell people who show up or the athletes not to use certain devices is crappy.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
its not far off how teams handle logo's at the olympics. Again referencing hockey.

many players will wear their own equipment to the Olympics. Especially goaltenders.

Most equipment has the logo of the manufacturer on it. If the Manufacturer is not a sponsor at the olympics, the IOC makes them block out the logo.

If you want to see this really in full swing, Take a look at goalies masks. You'll find many of them with either IOC stickers, or their countries flag as a sticker covering up the corporate logo they aren't allowed to represent.

In the NFL players aren't allowed to wear anything with a logo of a non NFL sponsor or they get fined. This is quite common in the sporting world. Of course the only reason it is being discussed is because it is Samsung.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
I think it was London where the opening ceremony were basically a 3 hour Apple ad. Was pretty funny.

You're right, but what are we to infer from this, that successful people by-and-large choose iPhone over the competition?

:eek:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I don't care that the IOC agreed to this, I have my suspicions about whether or not corruption is still going on, even though they say that there isn't.

My point is that I don't care what company is doing this, when their logo is going to be plastered all over the place by *default*, trying to tell people who show up or the athletes not to use certain devices is crappy.

I don't think they said that the athletes can only use Samsung devices, did they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.