Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arcade

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Bronx, NY
Square trade is charging $5.99 per month for 24 months with $50.00 deductible per claim ( 2 ) year. Iphone.

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010
Is the $199+tax the amount Apple charges you to replace an iPhone with AppleCare? Or just under the regular warrantee?

Regular charge, no warranty with Apple. If you have applecare +, there is a $50 deductible if you break the phone or spill liquid on it. The regular Applecare does not cover such incidents, you have to pay 199+tax (4/4S, more for iphone 5, I think its $229 now)

Square trade is charging $5.99 per month for 24 months with $50.00 deductible per claim ( 2 ) year. Iphone.

They always have coupons out. Dont know if you can apply them in the app though. Ive read about folks getting coupons by just emailing them.

I thought that the first year was just called the manufacturer's warrantee and AppleCare was the extended warranty.Image

The first year is AppleCare, which does not cover incidents like cracking the screen or dropping it in water. It only covers manufacturer defects, not you abusing your phone.

What we are talking about is warranties that cover such incidents. Apple sells one for $99+tax called Applecare + (note the plus sign), which covers your iphone for 2 such incidents with a $50 deductible. Squaretrade sells something similar, except you have 4 incidents with squaretrade upto the original purchase price of the phone.

Squaretrade also puts out coupons, for example right now if you go to their facebook page you can get a 40% off coupon (max $40) on your warranty purchase. Not sure if this coupon works in the app.

Last edited:

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010

Kyle2123

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
Also, on SquareTrade's FB page, I've seen the reps posting that they will waive the $50 deductible for ADH if you take it in to the Apple Store. I emailed them and they wrote me an email back verifying that this is true. That makes it a really good deal... $60 for a 2 year iphone warranty that includes accidental damage and $0 deductible provided you take it to the Apple Store to replace. Also the warranty has coverage equal to full retail, so you could replace your phone like 3 times over the life of the warranty since Apple will usually swap the phones for $199 if you break something.

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010
Also, on SquareTrade's FB page, I've seen the reps posting that they will waive the $50 deductible for ADH if you take it in to the Apple Store. I emailed them and they wrote me an email back verifying that this is true. That makes it a really good deal... $60 for a 2 year iphone warranty that includes accidental damage and $0 deductible provided you take it to the Apple Store to replace. Also the warranty has coverage equal to full retail, so you could replace your phone like 3 times over the life of the warranty since Apple will usually swap the phones for $199 if you break something.

Yes Ive experienced this first hand, albeit a bout a year ago. Others have posted similar experiences. Paid Apple 199+tax for a replacement to my iPhone 4, and SquareTrade reimbursed me the entire amount, no deductible.

SC54HI

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Great discussion & info. Thanks everyone.

We're moving towards an upgrade w/VZW to get two iPhone 5s. I would love to dump the $20+ a month paid to TEC Asurion but am uncertain about replacing it with ST or AC+ or something else or nothing. We would have our working iPhone 4 models as back up if something happened.

FYI, Consumer Reports (Feb 2013) says that of their members who were surveyed on this matter 15 percent got a new phone because the old one broke, and only 2 percent got a new phone because the old one was lost or stolen. This is why they recommend not getting such insurance, saying it's much same as the extended warranty policies they also say aren't worth it. The stats may be higher or lower for a given part of the US but it's pretty difficult to find those data - probably well-hidden by the insurers! :rolleyes:

Alveezy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Hawaii
So a Hypothetical question...I own an iPhone 5. Which have been replaced by the new iPhone 5c. In the event that my iPhone 5 gets Lost/Stolen/Break...Will they replaced it with a 5 or a 5C?

Also if someone could simplify the deductible thing for me? I looked up the rates on their website and replacing an iPhone 5/5C is $169. Is that how much i'm gonna be paying for the replacement? or is that what they're going to deduct from the full retail price of the phone?($549-$169= $380???)<<<can someone clear this up or i'm just assuming, deductible works like that?

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
AppleCare+ vs. VZW Warranty vs. Geek Squad. vs. SquareTrade

Are you covered by apple care +? You will get the same device back (iPhone 5 for an iPhone 5)

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Also if someone could simplify the deductible thing for me? I looked up the rates on their website and replacing an iPhone 5/5C is $169. Is that how much i'm gonna be paying for the replacement? or is that what they're going to deduct from the full retail price of the phone?($549-$169= $380???)<<<can someone clear this up or i'm just assuming, deductible works like that?

The deductible is how much you would pay out of pocket.

nickpro

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Bay Area
quick question - if i purchased an iPhone at Best Buy will I able to take it to an Apple Store within the 1 year standard warranty period and have them repair/replace it if defective? thanks.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
quick question - if i purchased an iPhone at Best Buy will I able to take it to an Apple Store within the 1 year standard warranty period and have them repair/replace it if defective? thanks.

Only if it is a defect you will get a free replacement. If it is not a defect and is your fault and you don't have apple care + you will have to pay full price for a replacement.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
If given the choice between Asurion and AppleCare + I'm going AC+ all day. You get a better quality replacement at a much cheaper deductible. When the iPhone 5 and 5S first launched if you had a problem they were shipping factory sealed models out as replacements. Not anymore. Those days are long over. The only downside to AC+ is that if you lose your phone you're screwed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.