Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
trust Apple to take this shot on the run-way...

now there just going overboard. we constantly are told by Apple every time we see an iOS ad, just how good the iPhone is.. why do hey need to show it as a "run-way shot"

The other video was a bit better.

Only Apple can do overboard with "sticking it in your face" by saying "We will prove to you how much better we are"

That just sickens me. Apple are constantly waning fame with video like this, and the run-way was just a coincidence. Its sure tells you that Apple is "more" glamorous phone...

I think there is a name for companies that care way too much about a product... the design, and the video shows all that in one, as though "we're good, and we know it."

Ya right :p I'd rather have choices thanks... Only liking one thing is soo single minded Apple warps users in with the hypnotic ads. The iPhones great and all, but i wouldn't go this far. Just like any other product. But Apple has a skill of pushing it past the barrier...

That's not for me... Its just a phone....not a diamond ring :p

digitalfrog

Suspended
Nov 26, 2007
It's a marketing gimmick ... another one...

I shot runway for a a living and it's rare to have shows in full bright light like this.
Backstage is even worse, with very low light, no space (wide angle often required) .... I'd never be able to produce decent work with a phone (yet).

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Not sure how you can say that. Technology being so much more affordable and accessible is a great thing. You might have more crap to wade through now, but legitimate talent and skill will still rise to the top.

For years I've been saying that [affordable] technology in the creative industry is a double edge sword. That is, modern technology can help creative professionals produce work much more efficiently but at the same time, it has become affordable and easy enough to use for the untrained to publish much of the garbage we see.

With that said, I work in the creative field and have lost work to people who's skills are much lower than mine, no matter how much I innovate. Much of what I'm experiencing is due to the democratization of the tools used in the field and the poor economy. There are people out there who are willing to just give the work away for "a piece of the action" despite the poor quality of their work. It also doesn't help that art buyers have also tightened their budgets and spin what they buy as "the next big thing in the industry".

Luckily most people recognize junk labeled as 'art' and don't buy it/support it's creator.

Unless it's labeled 'modern art' then you can do whatever the hell you want. ;)

My sentiments exactly.

I went to a "modern art" art show a few months back produced by some people who went to this expensive artsy-fartsy school and not only did I not get what their work was about but much of it looked like snapshots taken on iPhones.

I honestly don't understand modern art and so many people get away with the garbage they produce by calling it "modern art".

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
The iPhone 5s camera quality is amazing! I can only imagine how future models will improve.

Yeah if you look at the original iPhone camera 7 years ago and compare it to today's. Amazing.

What will it be like in 2020? Hard to imagine!

----------

For years I've been saying that [affordable] technology in the creative industry is a double edge sword. That is, modern technology can help creative professionals produce work much more efficiently but at the same time, it has become affordable and easy enough to use for the untrained to publish much of the garbage we see.

With that said, I work in the creative field and have lost work to people who's skills are much lower than mine, no matter how much I innovate. Much of what I'm experiencing is due to the democratization of the tools used in the field and the poor economy. There are people out there who are willing to just give the work away for "a piece of the action" despite the poor quality of their work. It also doesn't help that art buyers have also tightened their budgets and spin what they buy as "the next big thing in the industry".

My sentiments exactly.

I went to a "modern art" art show a few months back produced by some people who went to this expensive artsy-fartsy school and not only did I not get what their work was about but much of it looked like snapshots taken on iPhones.

I honestly don't understand modern art and so many people get away with the garbage they produce by calling it "modern art".

Well, on the other hand, what is Art?

You can spend your entire life arguing about the definition of art and you'll never come to a conclusion.

Often times, people exaggerate the artist's intent and purpose and over-interpret their work of art.

bbbb4b

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
trust Apple to take this shot on the run-way...

now there just going overboard. we constantly are told by Apple every time we see an iOS ad, just how good the iPhone is.. why do hey need to show it as a "run-way shot"

The other video was a bit better.

Only Apple can do overboard with "sticking it in your face" by saying "We will prove to you how much better we are"

That just sickens me. Apple are constantly waning fame with video like this, and the run-way was just a coincidence. Its sure tells you that Apple is "more" glamorous phone...

I think there is a name for companies that care way too much about a product... the design, and the video shows all that in one, as though "we're good, and we know it."

Ya right :p I'd rather have choices thanks... Only liking one thing is soo single minded Apple warps users in with the hypnotic ads. The iPhones great and all, but i wouldn't go this far. Just like any other product. But Apple has a skill of pushing it past the barrier...

That's not for me... Its just a phone....not a diamond ring :p

Love the little conversation you're having with yourself.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
At least they have the phone the right way up this time. Unlike the Christmas advert. Glad to see they learn from stupid mistakes at Apple.

qubex

macrumors 6502
I work in the creative field and have lost work to people who's skills are much lower than mine, no matter how much I innovate. Much of what I'm experiencing is due to the democratization of the tools used in the field and the poor economy. There are people out there who are willing to just give the work away for "a piece of the action" despite the poor quality of their work.
I hate to interrupt your mope, but this is totally ordinary in all other sectors of the economy too: once something becomes cheaper to make because the tools are more widely available, price falls - driven down to marginal cost, which in the case of creative services is pretty close to zero. And much as a bespoke tailor may complain that trousers imported from China are crap, the truth is that most people don’t need, can’t afford, bespoke trousers. A crap pair of jeans is fine for them because they do the job at a low price. Likewise crap ‘creative’ work is acceptable to certain firms. Your heightened skills simply aren’t (always) worth the extra expense. That, too, is an economic rule: The Law of Diminishing Returns.

----------

At least they have the phone the right way up this time. Unlike the Christmas advert. Glad to see they learn from stupid mistakes at Apple.
If the stereotypes are true, half the models probably held it upside-down. They probably just edited them out.

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
Ugh

Every single person who appears in this video or was any way involved in its creation, is a c*nt.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Every single person who appears in this video or was any way involved in its creation, is a c*nt.

I was going to argue against your point. And frankly I can't. Because. You're 100% correct! It's pseudo-intellectual city. But. On a catwalk this time.

Pretentious isn't the word. But Il try and find one that is ....

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
Shock news, pretty girls sell gizmos...

But at the end of the day, the video quality is nothing special and the lighting is very dull. Lots of super close ups to try and coax some sort of limited depth of field from the small sensor.
Those shots weren't meant to be iPhone footage. You've missed the point.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Well, on the other hand, what is Art?

You can spend your entire life arguing about the definition of art and you'll never come to a conclusion.

Often times, people exaggerate the artist's intent and purpose and over-interpret their work of art.

Ugh, please don't remind me of those art history classes I took in college. :p

I know that at some point, art becomes subjective and the viewer ends up over-interpreting a piece. I suppose this is where I find the biggest points of controversy in the art world. That is to say, how does a viewer truly know the artist's true intent especially if the artist is not around to give an explanation?

This is actually one thing I struggled with while in school. When ever I produced anything, I just did what looked good to me without thinking of intent, for the most part. Then I would either get the 20 questions treatment from my professors asking me what I was trying to say where "it looked cool" wasn't a good enough reason or they would see something that wasn't there.

xproc

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Malaysia
Any idea what is that held in front of the iPhone at 0:24? Would be nice to know what accessories were used in the show/video. I do notice a lot of Glif tripod mounts used.
me too, i thought this is Glif commercial at a split second...

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Larger doesn't mean better in the fashion world. K-Mart is larger, yet I'll be buying Armani suits. Thanks.

Apple is fashion, you will never go to a fashion event and not see apple everything

You talking about Armani suits you can't afford is meaningless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.