Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:27 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Fuels iWatch Rumors by Seeking Exercise Physiologist to Lead Fitness Tests

Apple is looking to hire an Exercise Physiologist to oversee cardiovascular fitness and energy expenditure tests at its main headquarters campus. The new position was posted to the company's job board today (via 9to5Mac).
Quote:
Design and run user studies related to cardiovascular fitness & energy expenditure, including calories burned, metabolic rate, aerobic fitness level measurement/tracking and other key physiological measurements.

Candidate will be knowledgeable about the physiological effects being measured and how to avoid potential inaccuracy and experimental error due DOE flaws and/or reference monitor (i.e. metabolic cart, etc.) usage issues.

The role will need to apply relevant knowledge to the design of products and their testing/validation through user studies.
iWatch concept by Todd Hamilton
The requirements of this position suggest the employee will be working on Apple's rumored fitness-focused wearable. The company has been making a strong push into the medical and fitness field with recent hires like sleep expert Roy J.E.M Raymann from Philips Research and Michael O'Reilly, M.D., former Chief Medical Officer of pulse oximetry company Masimo.

This elite team of medical researchers is presumably designing Apple's iWatch along with fashion experts like Former Yves Saint Laurent CEO Paul Deneve, who was hired last year to work under Tim Cook on a "special project". Apple's fitness band may connect to the iPhone via Healthbook, a fitness app expected to be released alongside iOS 8.

Update: Apple has removed the job listing from its site.

Article Link: Apple Fuels iWatch Rumors by Seeking Exercise Physiologist to Lead Fitness Tests
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:29 AM   #2
afro-ninja
macrumors newbie

Those are some seriously cool artistic mockups.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:29 AM   #3
iEnvy
macrumors 6502a

iCan almost taste it.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:30 AM   #4
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

Now that design is a lot more like what this thing should look like. anybody think its possible (or not possible) to build the battery cells directly into the straps, and have them be flexible/adjustable?
Z400Racer37 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:31 AM   #5
irfaanfaki
macrumors member

Personally getting excited about the iWatch. Don't know how many people share my opinion !

Also curious as to what Samsung will deliver later this month - my fandroid friends will have a lot to say to me that's for sure
irfaanfaki is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:32 AM   #6
musika
macrumors 65816

I think that they're gonna blow us out of the water with this thing. Knowing Apple, they're probably putting the time and thought into all of the basics that nobody else is.

While all other companies rush their stuff to the market with the longest lists of terribly implemented features, Apple is taking their time. I mean, of course we'll have to wait and see. But I expect good things.

Last edited by musika; Feb 6, 2014 at 09:52 AM.
musika is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:32 AM   #7
MrSmith
macrumors 68030

Perhaps they could invent something that encourages people to consume less calories than they use, without the need to permanently damage their knees.

Ernest Dowson
MrSmith is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:33 AM   #8
Gherkin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by afro-ninja View Post
Those are some seriously cool artistic mockups.
it's a cool mockup but they wouldn't work in actual use. You'd have to bend your arm kinda weird to actually look at the screen.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:34 AM   #9
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

its a cool mockup.

this is a mockup of supposedly an ipad in 2009

knowing apple design language by Mr. Ive, this iwatch mockup could actually be similar to the real thing.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:35 AM   #10
MrSmith
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfaanfaki View Post
Personally getting excited about the iWatch. Don't know how many people share my opinion !
You're getting excited about something you know nothing about? Life just isn't doing it for you, then.

Ernest Dowson
MrSmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:39 AM   #11
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

Love the mock-ups. Since those type of bands are popular/accepted, if form factor can remain similar to Nike Fuelband this would be a big hit. I would probably buy it, but would honestly prefer a more watch look.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:40 AM   #12
sk1wbw
In Time-Out

I'd rather it look like a cheap 80s Timex, aka a Pebble Steel.
sk1wbw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:42 AM   #13
BvizioN
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
You're getting excited about something you know nothing about? Life just isn't doing it for you, then.
Rumors do fuel excitement! That's what the majority of people are here for.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:42 AM   #14
applefanDrew
macrumors 65816

If they are just now hiring QA type positions, I would take that to mean it won't be released until next year (yes, despite Cook's comments last year). They're going to get these newly hired-s to get iWatch up to snuff in < 10 months? I doubt that.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:43 AM   #15
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Isn't Tim Cook on the board of directors of Nike? Looks like he's heading towards a conflict of interest.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:43 AM   #16
mj1108
macrumors 6502

With all of these medical hirings/rumors I wonder if it's not a watch and just a fitness band?
mj1108 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:44 AM   #17
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

I really hope Apple avoids the standard watch shape and goes with something like the mockup.
AngerDanger is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:45 AM   #18
Ventilatedbrain
macrumors regular

Apple , if you're reading this , PLEASE HURRY I SERIOUSLY CANT WAIT

Although it's best to skip first gen but I'll make an exception
Ventilatedbrain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:46 AM   #19
irfaanfaki
macrumors member

Quote:
Hahahahahahahahaha I'm sorry that I don't have a life like yours 👍 but was just my opinion. My apologies if I have upset you in any way. I'm just a student, I don't have much to look foward to besides passing.
irfaanfaki is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:46 AM   #20
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Wow. If Apple pulls off anything close to the depicted design and functionality (based on the screens), it will be the next game changer.

I love my watch and won't replace it. But I'm lucky enough to have two wrists.
noisycats is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:47 AM   #21
Mr Rabbit
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z400Racer37 View Post
anybody think its possible (or not possible) to build the battery cells directly into the straps, and have them be flexible/adjustable?
Entirely possible, the Nike Fuelband, which the above mockup takes most of it's design cues from, already incorporates the design....

Nike Fuelband teardown

With this in mind, along with Apple hiring several key people from the Nike Fuelband team, I really do think we're going to see Apple's much cooler take on the Fuelband sometime soon.
Mr Rabbit is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:49 AM   #22
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Like that mockup I might get a watch after 20 years of abstinence. Looks nice ! And if there is health monitoring in (inc sleep) it's a buy.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:50 AM   #23
chakdey
macrumors member

All these hires picking up pace in the last month or so, I don't think we will see the iWatch until end of the year or even until 2015.
chakdey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:50 AM   #24
musika
macrumors 65816

Quote:
He's allowed to get excited for something that hasn't happened yet. Why should that bother you?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:51 AM   #25
Jmacman78
macrumors 6502

The more I'm hearing about this lately, the more excited I get. I currently have a Fitbit Force and I really like it. I could only image what Apple will come up with.
Jmacman78 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion