Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
I purchased a computer that comes with OS X, and I can't run boot camp according to the seller. He said that I can however install windows by disconnecting the hard drive it came with and use a SATA compatible drive to install windows on that. From there reconnect the first drive and it should boot to either OS at launch. I'm a little unsure on this, but learning sometimes means stepping outside the box. Is there any guidance on this somewhere? And more importantly, I was going to use an old hard drive from a 2009 MacBook Pro as the windows drive after erasing it. How can I tell if it is SATA compatible?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I purchased a computer that comes with OS X, and I can't run boot camp according to the seller. He said that I can however install windows by disconnecting the hard drive it came with and use a SATA compatible drive to install windows on that. From there reconnect the first drive and it should boot to either OS at launch. I'm a little unsure on this, but learning sometimes means stepping outside the box. Is there any guidance on this somewhere? And more importantly, I was going to use an old hard drive from a 2009 MacBook Pro as the windows drive after erasing it. How can I tell if it is SATA compatible?

what did you purchase? what MAC model?

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
It's a late 2009 MacBook Pro 13 in. That is the hard drive that I am curious about. Is there a good way to tell if it is SATA compatible? The newer computer I bought is not an official mac product. The drive I am hoping to install windows on is the old laptop drive after erasing it.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
It's a late 2009 MacBook Pro 13 in. That is the hard drive that I am curious about. Is there a good way to tell if it is SATA compatible? The newer computer I bought is not an official mac product. The drive I am hoping to install windows on is the old laptop drive after erasing it.

it should have a SATA II drive in it to confirm take the bottom off the MBP and the label on the hard drive should be visible, it should say on it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.