Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:16 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iOS 7 Bug Allows Disabling of 'Find My iPhone' Without Password

A bug in the current version of iOS 7 appears to allow users to disable Find my iPhone on a device without typing in a password, which effectively hides it from being located on iCloud.com.

Deactivating Find My iPhone takes just a few simple steps and it can be easily repeated on devices running the current version of iOS (7.0.4). The exploit involves making a few simple changes to the iCloud account section of the Settings app.

MacRumors has been able to successfully replicate this bug on an iPhone and an iPad running iOS 7.0.4, but could not get it to work on a device running iOS 7.1, so the flaw will likely be fixed with the upcoming update.

This is a potentially serious bug as Find My iPhone is a useful method of locating a lost device. While this exploit does disable Find My iPhone and allow for an iOS device to be erased, it does not remove Apple's Activation Lock theft deterrent system. After being erased, the device will remain locked to the original account and continue to ask for that Apple ID and password during the setup process to resume functionality.

The bypass only works on a device that does not have Touch ID or a Passcode enabled, as the exploit requires access to the Settings menu. To avoid having Find My iPhone disabled, users should update their phones with a Passcode and install iOS 7.1 when Apple releases the software.

MacRumors has contacted Apple for comment on the exploit and we will update if we receive new information.

Article Link: iOS 7 Bug Allows Disabling of 'Find My iPhone' Without Password
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:17 PM   #2
H2SO4
macrumors 65816

There is always some obscure security bug that affects iOS. I find it astonishing that Apple done know about them and equally that people find them.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:17 PM   #3
clickerclacker
macrumors newbie

7.0.5?
clickerclacker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:19 PM   #4
djtech42
macrumors 65816

Hopefully it is fixed now. It's a serious issue because they have been emphasizing the fact that it can't be turned off without a password.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:19 PM   #5
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020

Don't you folks at MacRumors realize that by posting a thread like this, you tip off thieves to a way of successfully thwarting Apple's find-my-iphone security. Maybe this should not be posted?!?!?!? Now you've given every thief who monitors this site a head start until Apple fixes. Well done MacRumors!!!!
Blorzoga is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:20 PM   #6
AbSoluTc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
There is always some obscure security bug that affects iOS. I find it astonishing that Apple done know about them and equally that people find them.
Keyword - OBSCURE.

Stuff happens. Apple will fix it quickly.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:20 PM   #7
johnalan
macrumors regular

What a weird little bug.
johnalan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:21 PM   #8
Curun
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorzoga View Post
Don't you folks at MacRumors realize that by posting a thread like this, you tip off thieves to a way of successfully thwarting Apple's find-my-iphone security. Maybe this should not be posted?!?!?!?
Except phone would still be useless...

Location can also be thwarted:
by powering down.
Removing SIM and not having near original owners wifi.
Etc
Curun is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:21 PM   #9
Merode
macrumors 6502

You first have to unlock phone so this whole hack is useless for thieves..
Merode is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:22 PM   #10
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

It might be better to not post this rather than telling the internet exactly how to hack a stolen iPhone..
Jsameds is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:23 PM   #11
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

This is there to remind people to set up a passcode to unlock the iPhone to begin with. remember, the can't exploit this if the can't get past the lock screen.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:23 PM   #12
KALLT
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorzoga View Post
Don't you folks at MacRumors realize that by posting a thread like this, you tip off thieves to a way of successfully thwarting Apple's find-my-iphone security. Maybe this should not be posted?!?!?!?
I'd rather want to know about these issues to be aware of security risks, especially when there is an effective solution to this bug:
Quote:
The bypass only works on a device that does not have Touch ID or a Passcode enabled, as the exploit requires access to the Settings menu.
KALLT is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:24 PM   #13
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
MacRumors has contacted Apple for comment on the exploit and we will update if we receive new information.
You really think Apple will talk about product exploits to a random rumour website? That's funny.
At most you'll get official statements on the issue when there is progress on it.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:24 PM   #14
bushido
macrumors 603

good thing everyone has passcode enabled. right, RIGHT???
bushido is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:26 PM   #15
dustinsc
macrumors regular

This is why you use a pass code folks. This is also why Touch ID is awesome, since it addresses convenience, one of the main reasons people don't use pass codes.
dustinsc is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:28 PM   #16
michaelward82
macrumors newbie

I watched the video without sound - was it necessary to be logged in to the iCloud web interface, or was that just a demonstration of the sound alert working?
michaelward82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:29 PM   #17
gatearray
macrumors 65816

I don't keep a password on my iPhone but this could never happen to me.

Settings, General, Restrictions, Accounts, DO NOT ALLOW CHANGES

This means iCloud along with all my email accounts, etc. are "greyed out" in Settings and cannot be modified without enabling changes in Restrictions which requires my passcode.
gatearray is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:29 PM   #18
WilliamG
macrumors 603

Can confirm this bug is already fixed in 7.1, at least in beta 5, and perhaps earlier.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:29 PM   #19
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68000

How does someone find something like this? Who would attempt this for no reason just to see what happens?

I'm always amazed when these bugs are found, like the lock screen on and so on.
Mlrollin91 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:30 PM   #20
velcrovan
macrumors newbie

Wake up

"Don't you folks at MacRumors realize that by posting a thread like this, you tip off thieves blah blah"
Teachable moment: the way to ensure that security flaws get fixed asap, as they should be, is to release information about them publicly.

I know it seems counter-intuitive, but the fact is that trying to keeping exploits hush-hush until they can be fixed doesn't work. Those who could fix the problem take longer to get around to it, thieves always find out anyway, and the only people in the dark about the situation are legitimate device owners.

Now all of us know about the problem and several ways it can be prevented or mitigated. To withhold that information would have been blind and stupid.

Last edited by velcrovan; Feb 6, 2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: added 3rd paragraph
velcrovan is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:33 PM   #21
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickerclacker View Post
7.0.5?
7.0.5 is already out for 5S/5C.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:35 PM   #22
dallastigers
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatearray View Post
I don't keep a password on my iPhone but this could never happen to me.

Settings, General, Restrictions, Accounts, DO NOT ALLOW CHANGES

This means iCloud along with all my email accounts, etc. are "greyed out" in Settings and cannot be modified without enabling changes in Restrictions which requires my passcode.

I was wondering if this could also be a possible fix.
dallastigers is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:36 PM   #23
webfarer
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merode View Post
You first have to unlock phone so this whole hack is useless for thieves..
Good point. But the possibility that some random act can switch off Find My iPhone feature is upsetting me.
webfarer is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:38 PM   #24
Rocko1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalisherpa View Post
7.0.5 is already out for 5S/5C.
Only in limited markets....
Rocko1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:40 PM   #25
H2SO4
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbSoluTc View Post
Keyword - OBSCURE.

Stuff happens. Apple will fix it quickly.
Apple haven't really had a great record of fixing things quickly. Also I'm sure they could devise some software that could run through combinations of keystrokes etc to find things like this.
They should do better!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion