Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
I don't understand why people think AT&T could not just do away with unlimited data any time they wanted too. AS if their iPhone with unlimited is the Holy Grail. I guarentee you 99.9% of the people who have unlimited with their iPhone doesn't even use 1 GB a month with it. AT&T knows they are making out like a bandit keeping the unlimited plan going.

aa521490

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2007
I don't understand why people think AT&T could not just do away with unlimited data any time they wanted too. AS if their iPhone with unlimited is the Holy Grail. I guarentee you 99.9% of the people who have unlimited with their iPhone doesn't even use 1 GB a month with it. AT&T knows they are making out like a bandit keeping the unlimited plan going.
AT&T won't as long as T-Mobile is offering it.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I don't get this one bit... I am comparing the plans now with what I have currently and I'd pay $40 MORE a month with the MSV compared to the MS. This is using the AT&T Rate Plan Calculator...

http://myattrpc.com

EDIT: You only get the discount ($15per/phone) if you get the AT&T Next Plan with the phone. So if you then add in the monthly installment of $25 a month (if you choose the 18 month upgrade) then it equates to $40 a month per phone. This is the SAME price as if you were to buy the phone with a 2 year contact and pay $40 per phone.

This plan charges $15 for all phones + $100 for the 10GB of data + monthly installment (either $25 for 18months or $32.50 for 12month). If you do not upgrade every 2 years, they both would still cost the $15/month out of contract or the standard MSV Plan. The only difference is that you get to pay the $15/month with no monthly installment for 6 months as the 2 year contract is 24 months. Leading the cost to the 2 year contract to be $150 more expensive ($25 x 6 months).

Last edited:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I don't get this one bit... I am comparing the plans now with what I have currently and I'd pay $40 MORE a month with the MSV compared to the MS. This is using the AT&T Rate Plan Calculator...

http://myattrpc.com

EDIT: You only get the discount ($15per/phone) if you get the AT&T Next Plan with the phone. So if you then add in the monthly installment of $25 a month (if you choose the 18 month upgrade) then it equates to $40 a month per phone. This is the SAME price as if you were to buy the phone with a 2 year contact and pay $40 per phone.

This plan charges $15 for all phones + $100 for the 10GB of data + monthly installment (either $25 for 18months or $32.50 for 12month). If you do not upgrade every 2 years, they both would still cost the $15/month out of contract or the standard MSV Plan. The only difference is that you get to pay the $15/month with no monthly installment for 6 months as the 2 year contract is 24 months. Leading the cost to the 2 year contract to be $150 more expensive ($25 x 6 months).

if you have a family plan with old people who never plan to upgrade or very rarely then one person can upgrade or buy outright and its a big savings

anything that's Galaxy S3/iphone 5 and newer hardware will be good enough for most people for at least another 2 years from now

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
if you have a family plan with old people who never plan to upgrade or very rarely then one person can upgrade or buy outright and its a big savings

anything that's Galaxy S3/iphone 5 and newer hardware will be good enough for most people for at least another 2 years from now
What are the saving? Have you done the math? Can you please prove your statements.

Kingg711

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2014
I have reviewed this at both the AT&T store and tmobile. My finding show tmobile is the more economical plan while AT&T has better coverage. We have 5 lines, all smart phones. We use wireless about 70% of the time, so coverage is not as important. AT&T fleeces it's users via the phone purchase. Choose the $199 down iPhone plan and the iPhone 5s costs $1000. Choose the art next plan and your don't get to keep the phone. Plus as long as you are making payments, they cost per line is increased to $40 from $15. Tmobile is a true separation of phone and plan. Good bye AT&T after 12 years.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I have reviewed this at both the AT&T store and tmobile. My finding show tmobile is the more economical plan while AT&T has better coverage. We have 5 lines, all smart phones. We use wireless about 70% of the time, so coverage is not as important. AT&T fleeces it's users via the phone purchase. Choose the $199 down iPhone plan and the iPhone 5s costs $1000. Choose the art next plan and your don't get to keep the phone. Plus as long as you are making payments, they cost per line is increased to $40 from $15. Tmobile is a true separation of phone and plan. Good bye AT&T after 12 years.

Tmobile is a subpar carrier with slow data speeds and barely have coverage. To each their own.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
Tmobile is a subpar carrier with slow data speeds and barely have coverage. To each their own.

Here's your slow data speed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 88

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
In my case I was paying $440 a month for 15gb $160 plus 8 lines $30 a line plus 25% fan. Now at 245 for same. Huge difference.

Yeah I'm kind of debating if I want to use subsidy but more than likely worth it to buy outright unlocked.

Bbafett

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Georgia
What are the saving? Have you done the math? Can you please prove your statements.

Was paying $210 for the two unlimited and one 2GB iphones until we switched to the new Mobile share plan and we just got the first bill. Bill went to $154 and we also got tethering included which we couldn't do before. 10GB is more than twice as much data as we were using. Over 24 months that is $1,344 which is more than enough to pay for the additional cost on the two iphones we generally upgrade(hand down ours to kids). So I believe our savings even with $450x2 extra cost for subsidy would be $444 over 2 years.

Plan is great if you don't want to upgrade more than every two years which is something I don't care about doing. Although we could get away with an extra upgrade as well if we absolutely wanted.

We also signed up for the FAN discount which I didn't know about as well until reading posts for another $15/month as a bonus savings.

The $154/cost is without the FAN discount so actual bill is $139.

HDJulie

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 13, 2008
Little Rock, AR
I have 5 phones that are all under contract under a 10GB mobile share plan. I was paying $170 ($120 + (5 * 30)) for the phones & plan (I also have some tablets but those don't change price on the new plans). I saw online that I could get the new rates which would save me $95 ($100 + (5 * 15)) so I switched using the online tool. Then, I realized that all 5 of my lines are under contract! And contract phones are $40 each, adding $50 to my bill! I freaked & called AT&T & after a lengthy wait on hold, explained the situation but the rep told me that *even though my current lines are under contract*, I can still get the $15 rate per phone. It's only if I upgrade a line after today at the 2 -year contract price that I would have to pay $40 for that line. This does not jive with what the website says so has anyone else done this -- gone to the new plan with lines that are under contract but still get the $15 price?

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
I have 5 phones that are all under contract under a 10GB mobile share plan. I was paying $170 ($120 + (5 * 30)) for the phones & plan (I also have some tablets but those don't change price on the new plans). I saw online that I could get the new rates which would save me $95 ($100 + (5 * 15)) so I switched using the online tool. Then, I realized that all 5 of my lines are under contract! And contract phones are $40 each, adding $50 to my bill! I freaked & called AT&T & after a lengthy wait on hold, explained the situation but the rep told me that *even though my current lines are under contract*, I can still get the $15 rate per phone. It's only if I upgrade a line after today at the 2 -year contract price that I would have to pay $40 for that line. This does not jive with what the website says so has anyone else done this -- gone to the new plan with lines that are under contract but still get the $15 price?

I too am in the same scenario. It's $15 a line.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
T-Mobile is an urban carrier.

If you live and work in urban areas, then T-Mobile will save you a lot money.

If you don't live and work in urban areas, then stay away from T-Mobile. A saving of $500 a year won't you do any good if the coverage is not up to par.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

So then when you go to upgrade your phone, and everyone does, you'll end up paying more?

Sounds like a bait and switch to me.

They take a short term hit then make it up and more over the next 2 yr cycle.

Do you really think ATT hasn't had an army of analysts and lawyers working this to their advantage?

The very fact that no one can follow their website is proof of that...

HDJulie

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 13, 2008
Little Rock, AR
So then when you go to upgrade your phone, and everyone does, you'll end up paying more?

Sounds like a bait and switch to me.

They take a short term hit then make it up and more over the next 2 yr cycle.

Do you really think ATT hasn't had an army of analysts and lawyers working this to their advantage?

I thought that too but for about the same price difference, you could upgrade using the 0% interest NEXT plan which you can pay off anytime.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I thought that too but for about the same price difference, you could upgrade using the 0% interest NEXT plan which you can pay off anytime.

Are you sure? You can either go with the contract plan that you freaked out about above - where each phone is $40/month plus the initial cost of the phone, or you can go with NEXT which will add a minimum of $32.50 per line to your bill for each basic iPhone you want to finance. So in the long run you're paying not $100 + (5x15) but rather 100 + (5x15) + (5x32.50) which, depending on the exact specifics of what you are paying now, is probably going to be a bit more expensive for you.

This is what AT&T is trying to do - entice people to sign up now for a data plan that is more than they really need, knowing most of them will stay with it for the long run, and then transition to the NEXT plan which generates more money still.

HDJulie

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 13, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Are you sure? You can either go with the contract plan that you freaked out about above - where each phone is $40/month plus the initial cost of the phone, or you can go with NEXT which will add a minimum of $32.50 per line to your bill for each basic iPhone you want to finance. So in the long run you're paying not $100 + (5x15) but rather 100 + (5x15) + (5x32.50) which, depending on the exact specifics of what you are paying now, is probably going to be a bit more expensive for you.

This is what AT&T is trying to do - entice people to sign up now for a data plan that is more than they really need, knowing most of them will stay with it for the long run, and then transition to the NEXT plan which generates more money still.

I think the NEXT plan is $37 a month for 20 months for a 64GB phone? If so, then on the old plan it was $120 + (5 x $30) + $2000 ($400 each phone to upgrade) = $2270 for a year. New plan is $100 + (5 x $15) + ($37 x 5) (NEXT plan for 5 phones) = $2395 or $10 extra a month. However, have to add $36 x 5 = $180 for 5 activation fees on the old plan *and* can only upgrade once every 2 years on the old plan. However, I think the NEXT plan is limited to 4 lines but still, seems to be pretty close overall & I end up out of contract.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
It is funny - a colleague with AT&T was camping in a cube near me last week and when she needed data was standing near the window looking for anything ... while Verizon has full LTE through the whole region. Crap ... had heard it was getting better I said; not really, a little better in certain areas she remarked.

Sadly Verizon has a monopoly in our area or I would jump in a heartbeat - we would save ~$75 a month.

Where are you located (regarding your coworker and the lack of coverage with AT&T)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.