Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Not directly. The only way you can have two external monitors with full capabilities is with Apple's own Thunderbolt display. You could plug one of those screens into the thunderbolt port and purchase a USB monitor adapter for the other one. There are several threads on this, evidently it works OK for some applications but has too much lag for others.

There is also a Matrox box that would let you plug two of those in. However, they would act like one single virtual screen that spans both monitors instead of two separate screens.

I think you could use an Apple TV to connect one of the screens too, but that would also have some lag and would be limited to 1920x1080 resolution IIRC.

SBA

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2008
There is also a Matrox box that would let you plug two of those in. However, they would act like one single virtual screen that spans both monitors instead of two separate screens.

If you want normal performance, do this. I had one of these boxes (specifically, the Matrox DualHead2Go DP Edition) running 2 Dell 23" 1080p monitors with no issues (other than the single stretched display, mentioned before). This was with a 2012 Macbook Air, which has an Intel HD4000 integrated GPU.

USB adapters still have some input lag, which can get a little annoying, and the Apple TV mirroring is kind of a nice feature, but probably not ideal.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
AppleTV AirPlay is laggy. :/ I wouldn't recommend it.

EDIT: Unless you hare doing a presentation with no video

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.