Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supersizejm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Hello I just started playing with a die cutting machine and am trying to create pop up text or text that is cut along the edge of the page and I can't figure out how to create an open end in the text so it won't be cut. I have tried adding a white box over the ends that i don't want to cut but when I export the file to the cutting software (sure cuts alot) I get the outline of the box in the .svg file. Does anyone have any ideas how to make this work. I don't know if I've explained this well but I attached an example of what I'm hoping to do.

Thanks
Jason

Attachments

• pop up text.jpg
    pop up text.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 407

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
Is this linked file what you're trying to do?

https://db.tt/Ds15xv5G

If it is, turn the text into outlines, give it a stroke and fill, draw a box over the top that contains that part of the text you want to keep, select the box and text and go Object -> Clipping Mask -> Make.

Cheers

Jim

supersizejm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Awesome that did it!! thank you so much I knew I was missing something simple.

Thanks
Jason

supersizejm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Ok maybe not. That did the trick visually but when I save the file as a .svg it keeps the masking box as part of the file and closes up the ends. Is there a way to remove a line segment from text without changing the shape. I've tried editing the mask but it still remains after I save it. I've also tried everything in the Pathfinder menu with no success.

Thanks
Jason

Bertrude

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
England
Pardon me if I'm wrong, but if you're cutting the negative space out of the sheet of paper, you need closed paths of that negative space don't you?

In which case, you could punch (minus front in Pathfinder) the text out of a shape, then punch that out of the sheet to create that negative space you need.

I've attached a screen grab to hopefully demonstrate what I mean.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-02-07 at 13.17.28.png
    Screen shot 2014-02-07 at 13.17.28.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 147

supersizejm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Thanks, I guess I wasn't looking at it right. I come from a printing background and have been approaching it from that end I need to learn to think cutting not printing and focus on the negative spaces.

Thanks for all the help
Jason

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.