Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:02 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Tim Cook: Apple 'Spending an Enormous Amount' on 'Macs of the Future'

Apple hasn't "given up on the Mac" like some of its competitors and has "some really cool things" coming, according to CEO Tim Cook who sat down for a wide-ranging interview with The Wall Street Journal.

Answering a question about new product categories, Cook said the company is going to focus on "only doing a few things and doing them great", but that Apple does have significant new products, in new categories, in the works.

He went on to say that he felt Apple has a long way to go in its existing categories as well, the Mac in particular.
Quote:
I think Apple can grow well with great improvements and new products on its existing category of products.

[...]

And we haven't given up on the Mac. A lot of people are throwing in the towel right now on the PC. We're still spending an enormous amount on really great talent and people on the Macs of the future. And we have some really cool things coming out there. Because we believe as people walk away from the PC, it becomes clear that the Mac is what you want if you want a PC.
According to the well-sourced KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple is planning to release an ultra-slim 12-inch Retina MacBook in the middle of 2014 and it could be one of the "really cool things" that Cook talked about.

Elsewhere in the interview Cook revealed that Apple has repurchased $14 billion in stock over the past two weeks, and that the company is open to making large acquisitions if it makes sense. He also reiterated that Apple is working on "some really great stuff" in new product categories, an assertion that Apple executives have made numerous times over the past few months.

Investor Carl Icahn, who has been agitating for an increase in Apple's stock repurchase program, tweeted today that Wall Street is "still not listening" to Cook's statements and Apple's stock price remains relatively flat.
Quote:
Tim Cook again confirms $AAPL will launch new products in new categories (plural) this year. Wall Street apparently still not listening. - Carl Icahn (@Carl_C_Icahn) February 7, 2014

Article Link: Tim Cook: Apple 'Spending an Enormous Amount' on 'Macs of the Future'
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:04 PM   #2
iapplelove
macrumors 68000

i would love a retina iMac.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:05 PM   #3
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816

Does that mean there will be a new Mac Mini soon?
Moonjumper is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:05 PM   #4
Daalseth
macrumors 6502

Carl Icahn can go sit on a pickle and spin.
Daalseth is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:05 PM   #5
BlindGoldfish
Banned

Pretty sure one of the downfalls of Apple in the late 80's/early 90's was having too many products out there. I realize the desire to want to have innovative products, but I'm not sure how well the "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" will work.
BlindGoldfish is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:06 PM   #6
k3ith
macrumors member

This guy is such a troll.
k3ith is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:06 PM   #7
PassiveSmoking
macrumors member

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease give us a prosumer version of the new Mac Pro with an i7 and Radions!
PassiveSmoking is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:06 PM   #8
HurtinMinorKey
macrumors 6502

The real question: can they break truly Intel's desktop/laptop CPU monopoly with innovative solutions?

I hope so.
HurtinMinorKey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:09 PM   #9
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Prediction: Apple's answer to Windows 8 touchscreen convertible PCs.

Done "properly". However that looks.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:09 PM   #10
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonjumper View Post
Does that mean there will be a new Mac Mini soon?
WHAT!!?? You want results? Just enjoy the corporate board-speak and fluffy empty words... and smile with glorious satisfaction that something is being done. But, don't expect anything to be done.

Sounds like Cook is saying this will be a year without major innovations or products. What else does an exec say when they have little on the immediate runway?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:11 PM   #11
sw1tcher
macrumors 6502a

I hope Tim Cook doesn't think an "ultra-slim 12-inch Retina MacBook" = a new product category
sw1tcher is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:11 PM   #12
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Tim Cook: Apple 'Spending an Enormous Amount' on 'Macs of the Future'

So will we!
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:13 PM   #13
perealb
macrumors regular

Tim Cook talks too much. Stop making people's expectation even higher and start delivering. It's like he's creating a new level of leaks. Apple should start going after whoever leaks their projects, sue their a$$es and let everybody know about it. I'm sure they have a vision that maybe we don't for an iWatch, for instance, but this has been leaking for so long that it doesn't seem to be a big deal anymore. Those leaks also give opportunities for other companies to come up with their version of the iWatch before Apple even perfects it themselves.

My biggest hope (even though there are so many leaks about it already) is the new Apple TV. I seriously don't think it's an actual TV. I believe it's a combination of things in a hybrid set-top box. Those things would include a game console, a media player for local (UPnP, UDP, etc) and cloud content, a cable/satellite connectivity with siri searchable/navigable program guide content and DVR, an open ATV app store, AirPort capability, an improved AirPlay that includes a seamless transfer of output to the Apple TV (iOS 8) from any device or computer, 4K resolution output, dedicated remote control and also iPhone/iPad intelligent remote control, etc. Hell YEAH!!
perealb is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:14 PM   #14
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Man, I hope they release a new Mac Mini…
AngerDanger is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:15 PM   #15
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tcher View Post
I hope Tim Cook doesn't think an "ultra-slim 12-inch Retina MacBook" = a new product category
Who cares? If it's a product people want they're not going to care if it's classified as a new category or not. It's only Wall Street and the tech press obsessed with this new category nonsense.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesser Evets View Post
Sounds like Cook is saying this will be a year without major innovations or products. What else does an exec say when they have little on the immediate runway?
Yeah because that's exactly what Cook said.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:18 PM   #16
Icaras
macrumors 601

MacRumors, I beg you, just please don't post up Icahn's photo in another news article again.

Thank you.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:18 PM   #17
JimmyTW87
macrumors member

greedy

I do sometimes feel like a greedy iWhore, and I appreciate the time goes into truly ace products, but waiting 2 years between major iPhone changes seems far too long in this day and age, I'm happy with my iPad Air but it hasn't changed my life, and the 1gb of ram in it truly sucks.

I guess we are all in the same position waiting to be WoW'd, fingers crossed for a surprise or two, is a true surprise even possible in this day and age?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:18 PM   #18
forcesteeler
macrumors 6502

Tim Cook "We have new exciting innovative products this year"

Tim Cook at WWDC2014. "I like to present you iPhone 27 and iPad 38"

Apple you have Billions of Dollars, USE IT. Why keep coming with the same rehash crap every year.
forcesteeler is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:19 PM   #19
parish
macrumors 65816

@Tim - why not spend some $$$ on a new version of Aperture to run on the existing Macs?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:22 PM   #20
sw1tcher
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Who cares? If it's a product people want they're not going to care if it's classified as a new category or not. It's only Wall Street and the tech press obsessed with this new category nonsense.
Who cares? AAPL stock holders like me.

Why? If an "ultra-slim 12-inch Retina MacBook" is what Apple considers to be a new product category when it's really not, Wall St is going to slam the stock again. It's in Apple's best interest to not allow that to happen.
sw1tcher is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:27 PM   #21
smulji
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tcher View Post
Who cares? AAPL stock holders like me.

Why? If an "ultra-slim 12-inch Retina MacBook" is what Apple considers to be a new product category when it's really not, Wall St is going to slam the stock again. It's in Apple's best interest to not allow that to happen.
**** Wall Street. Going to bed with Wall Street is like sleeping with a den of vipers. I agree with the following post;

http://www.manton.org/2014/02/we_love_music.html

Focus on making things better and not come up with new categories just to satisfy Wall Street.
smulji is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:27 PM   #22
centauratlas
macrumors 6502a

Bring back the 17 inch MBP or something equivalent!
PLEASE???
centauratlas is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:28 PM   #23
RedOrchestra
macrumors 6502a

Carl Icahn said - "Tim Cook again confirms $AAPL will launch new products in new categories (plural) this year. Wall Street apparently still not listening."

To which Tim responded "...anyone "reasonable" would consider Apple's upcoming products to be in new categories."

anyone "reasonable" - hardly reassuring, to the street, that's it's going to be anything other than evolution.

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in Cook's statement that would make anyone think innovation.
RedOrchestra is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:30 PM   #24
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcesteeler View Post
Tim Cook "We have new exciting innovative products this year"

Tim Cook at WWDC2014. "I like to present you iPhone 27 and iPad 38"

Apple you have Billions of Dollars, USE IT. Why keep coming with the same rehash crap every year.
...Because "Billions of Dollars" = Great products. I don't understand what it is that you want? Please tell me.
sulpfiction is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:31 PM   #25
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassiveSmoking View Post
Pleeeeeeeeeeeease give us a prosumer version of the new Mac Pro with an i7 and Radions!
They have. It's called an iMac.

Configurable with up to:
- 3.5 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz).
- 32 GB RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M with 4GB of GDDR5 memory.
- Two thunderbolt ports (yeah, they need an update to thunderbolt 2)
longofest is offline   8 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion