Snapchat Vulnerability Can Lead to iPhone Denial-of-Service Attacks - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:18 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Snapchat Vulnerability Can Lead to iPhone Denial-of-Service Attacks

A vulnerability in the Snapchat app opens the iPhone up to denial-of-service attacks that can cause the device to freeze and crash, according to cyber security researcher Jamie Sanchez [Google Translation] (via The Los Angeles Times).

A weakness in the app's system can allow a hacker to send thousands of messages to a Snapchat user in seconds, which can cause a crash that requires a hard reset to fix. Tokens generated by the app used to verify user identity can be reused by hackers to send a flood of messages.
Quote:
By reusing old tokens, hackers can send massive amounts of messages using powerful computers. This method could be used by spammers to send messages in mass quantities to numerous users, or it could be used to launch a cyber attack on specific individuals, [Sanchez] said.
Sanchez demonstrated the flaw for The Los Angeles Times, sending a reporter 1,000 messages within five seconds in a denial-of-service attack, which caused the reporter's iPhone to freeze until it restarted.

The security researcher declined to contact Snapchat with his findings as he believes the startup "has no respect for the cyber security research community" after ignoring previous app vulnerability reports.

Snapchat has faced multiple problems as its private messaging app has grown in popularity, including vulnerabilities that allowed users to bypass screenshot notifications and a recent security breach that compromised the user names and phone numbers of more than 4.6 million customers, which Snapchat was warned about ahead of time by a security group.

When asked about this particular vulnerability, Snapchat said it was unaware of the problem but interested in learning more.

Article Link: Snapchat Vulnerability Can Lead to iPhone Denial-of-Service Attacks
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:20 PM   #2
ZacNicholson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ZacNicholson
snapchat is more trouble than what its worth. if you wanna sext just use iMessage
ZacNicholson is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:20 PM   #3
davidangel
macrumors member

Hmm...

I wish this enterprise-level software wouldn't be so vulnerable to attack.
davidangel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:24 PM   #4
PBF
macrumors 68030

Nothing will deter teens from sexting. LOL
PBF is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:24 PM   #5
wordoflife
macrumors 604

If you use snapchat, I would suggest only allowing your friends/contacts to snap you.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:25 PM   #6
Consultant
macrumors G5

Easily mitigated if you don't let strangers contact you.

Also, can't people simply go to "do not disturb" mode?
Consultant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:27 PM   #7
pramirez95
macrumors newbie

I'm 19, and even I find Snapchat annoying. Glad I deleted mine months ago. I knew it would only bring problems.

And as for snapchat only being "interested in learning more," I would think a company would at least put out a statement saying they are working hard on a fix. I agree with Sanchez; they must really not care.
pramirez95 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:32 PM   #8
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

I find all these tools a bit much. I understand that there are some folks not on apple (I don't know any, I hear it happens ), but with most providers giving unlimited text as a basic feature these days (at least in the US), I see no real reason to use anything other than the apple provided imessage. What do these tools do that I cannot already do?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:35 PM   #9
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

I'm shocked to hear that the sketchy app which allows users to send "temporary" nudes and features a ghost in its icon could be used in such a harmful way!
AngerDanger is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:37 PM   #10
ahlsn
macrumors newbie

I bid $100 they are still on the market
ahlsn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:41 PM   #11
Slix
macrumors 6502

Another reason I do not use Snapchat.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:47 PM   #12
Hastings101
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacNicholson View Post
snapchat is more trouble than what its worth. if you wanna sext just use iMessage
okay, let's do this
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:53 PM   #13
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

After the earlier story that quoted Tim Cook saying spending 10 figures on a company is no problem, and now this snapchat story...

I wish it was April 1st, and the next post on MacRumors is that Apple has agreed to buy SnapChat for $1bil, just to see everyone lose their stuff in the comments.
I mean, Facebook bought Instagram for $1bil, so i could at least be a believable story for a few minutes. Just for the laughs.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:54 PM   #14
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastings101 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacNicholson View Post
okay, let's do this
Ooh, romance is in the air!
AngerDanger is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:56 PM   #15
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

I have other apps that can crash as well. Don't really see the issue. I've been in a Game or Facebook and it's caused my phone to restart (display Apple Logo). Heck even Safari has done this.

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't really seem like a valid issue, just crappy programing.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:01 PM   #16
KdParker
macrumors 68020

cyber security research community?

What is this commuity exactly?
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:15 PM   #17
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Missles View Post
I find all these tools a bit much. I understand that there are some folks not on apple (I don't know any, I hear it happens ), but with most providers giving unlimited text as a basic feature these days (at least in the US), I see no real reason to use anything other than the apple provided imessage. What do these tools do that I cannot already do?
I use What'sApp for one reason: I have friends outside the U.S. who do not have iPhones that I would like to have SMS-type communication with in a way that won't incur per-message charges.

Sure, being on Verizon, I have unlimited SMS to friends in the U.S. who are not on iPhones; but I'm not going to pay Verizon an extra $5.00 a month, I think it is, to have worldwide SMS when the people I would be sending SMS messages to abroad would likely have to pay per-message for incoming SMS messages from the U.S. anyway.

As for Snapchat, don't use it and can't envision a scenario when I ever would.
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:15 PM   #18
dcchicago29
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkslide29 View Post
After the earlier story that quoted Tim Cook saying spending 10 figures on a company is no problem, and now this snapchat story...

I wish it was April 1st, and the next post on MacRumors is that Apple has agreed to buy SnapChat for $1bil, just to see everyone lose their stuff in the comments.
I mean, Facebook bought Instagram for $1bil, so i could at least be a believable story for a few minutes. Just for the laughs.
FB already offer $3B for it and was spurned.
dcchicago29 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:18 PM   #19
forthelove
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
cyber security research community?

What is this commuity exactly?
Good Wizards
forthelove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 03:34 PM   #20
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

I heard the actual problem was that if the picture you sent was really hot the phone would overheat and go down on you.

(Rimshot)
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:25 PM   #21
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

I fail to understand the interest people have in Snapchat.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:22 AM   #22
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacaramac View Post
I have other apps that can crash as well. Don't really see the issue. I've been in a Game or Facebook and it's caused my phone to restart (display Apple Logo). Heck even Safari has done this.

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't really seem like a valid issue, just crappy programing.
Basically someone figured out how to selectively target and crash people's phones, solely because they happen to use Snapchat.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 01:23 AM   #23
batchtaster
macrumors 6502a

All I really know or care about Snapchat is that seeing my 14 year old niece mugging for the camera every 2 minutes as she spent Christmas Day on Snapchat made me want her stupid phone to explode in her stupid face. And for her stupid parents to start parenting her.
batchtaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 01:54 AM   #24
0ldsnake1
macrumors newbie

Never used Snapchat, and never will...
0ldsnake1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 03:03 AM   #25
japanime
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
A vulnerability in the Snapchat app ... can cause the device to freeze and crash
In other words, it's just like iOS 7.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion