Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

euflag.png
Apple CEO Tim Cook compared Android to Europe in his wide-ranging interview with The Wall Street Journal yesterday, saying that the PC and mobile platform wars couldn't be compared. Cook said that Android is made up of many different things under one banner, as opposed to Windows which was one uniform platform.

Cook's statement was in response to a question asking if the mobile device market will ultimately follow the PC market, where Apple remains a comparatively niche player compared to the dominance of Windows.

He said that the examining the PC and mobile markets as a direct comparison doesn't work, largely because one of the historical differences between the Mac and Windows was the lack of availability for applications on the Mac, while iOS has a very strong developer base.

"There was a vast, vast difference in the number of applications that were available for the Macintosh", Cook said. And, over the years, the gap continued to grow because the Mac lost some key applications.

However, on mobile devices, Apple has more than one million applications with half of those specifically optimized for the iPad. On Android, Cook says, there are only 1,000 apps optimized for tablets. He says the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".
The other thing is that Windows pretty much was one thing. Android is like Europe. Europe was a name that somebody came up with for Americans who didn't understand that Europe was a lot of countries that weren't like U.S. states. They were very different. Android is many things. How many people who use a Kindle know that they're using Android? And you see what Samsung is doing by putting more and more software on top. I think it's night and day. The compare is so off.
Cook also noted that he doesn't view the PC market a a monolith because he works at Apple -- he joined the company from Compaq and said he understands the PC world "at that time because [he] was in it". He continued, "if you really talk to the people who went through it... I don't think any of them would tell you it's the same" as the mobile device market today.

Elsewhere in the interview Cook revealed that Apple has repurchased $14 billion in stock over the past two weeks, and that the company is open to making large acquisitions if it makes sense. He also reiterated that Apple is working on "some really great stuff" in new product categories, an assertion that Apple executives have made numerous times over the past few months, and that Apple is spending an enormous amount of time and money on the "Macs of the future".

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread has been moved to our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Tim Cook: 'Android is Like Europe', Many Different Things Under One Name

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
At least Europe lets you go from one country to the other easily. If Android is Europe then Apple is North Korea.

Reactions: dampfnudel

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
He's right though. As more and more manufacturers add their own customization to Android, it's not so clear cut as, say PCs in the 90s that ran Windows.

It seems like most people are unaware that Kindle even uses Android.

And does TouchWiz even resemble the stock Nexus software anymore? The Magazine UX on their new tablets is unrecognizable from Android.

However, it seems like Google met with Samsung to address some of these concerns.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
I think he is talking about the EU (European Union ;) ) and not Europe. Because the US isn't alone on their continent either ;)

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
At least Europe lets you go from one country to the other easily. If Android is Europe then Apple is North Korea.
The people of North Korea seem to be very, very happy. The second happiest nation behind China, according to their 'research'.

In all seriousness: Android sucks.

pik.

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Bologna/Corfu/Paris
unfortunately he is right...:)

and stock android is like a beach near the Mediterranean....:D

Cook...you are right...

and wE ALL KNOW who is responsible for the european crisis...

fortunately google does not have any Huns :roll eyes:

for this

"Europe was a name that somebody came up with for Americans who didn't understand that Europe was a lot of countries that weren't like U.S. states''
he screwed it up

autrefois

macrumors 65816
That's the worst analogy I've ever heard in my life.

Yes, he's going to regret saying that, if he doesn't already. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes when they speak off the cuff, but that's kind of a doozy.

Besides being a pretty bad analogy, it's an unflattering one. Comparing a union of 28 countries, which combined represent one of your biggest (if not the biggest) customer bases in the world, to your competitor in a disparaging way ("crappy") is NOT the way to win over customers or increase market share.

Depending on how the media play this, I can see this making big headlines and people getting offended (in my opinion, somewhat justifiably) by this.

Android does NOT need any help at this point and hopefully he can "walk back" the statement a little somehow to lessen the damage. Or hopefully it will go away quietly. We'll see.

Renzatic

Suspended
I don't think he was saying Android/Europe is crappy, so much as it's not truly one cohesive platform. Rather a bunch of autonomous platforms that are loosely tied together under one umbrella of services.

Or in Europe's case, a bunch of self autonomous countries that are tied together under a common set of laws and trade agreements.

Though the quote itself isn't exactly the swooftest thing I've ever heard ole Cook say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.