Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:52 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Tim Cook: 'Android is Like Europe', Many Different Things Under One Name

Apple CEO Tim Cook compared Android to Europe in his wide-ranging interview with The Wall Street Journal yesterday, saying that the PC and mobile platform wars couldn't be compared. Cook said that Android is made up of many different things under one banner, as opposed to Windows which was one uniform platform.

Cook's statement was in response to a question asking if the mobile device market will ultimately follow the PC market, where Apple remains a comparatively niche player compared to the dominance of Windows.

He said that the examining the PC and mobile markets as a direct comparison doesn't work, largely because one of the historical differences between the Mac and Windows was the lack of availability for applications on the Mac, while iOS has a very strong developer base.

"There was a vast, vast difference in the number of applications that were available for the Macintosh", Cook said. And, over the years, the gap continued to grow because the Mac lost some key applications.

However, on mobile devices, Apple has more than one million applications with half of those specifically optimized for the iPad. On Android, Cook says, there are only 1,000 apps optimized for tablets. He says the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".
Quote:
The other thing is that Windows pretty much was one thing. Android is like Europe. Europe was a name that somebody came up with for Americans who didn't understand that Europe was a lot of countries that weren't like U.S. states. They were very different. Android is many things. How many people who use a Kindle know that they're using Android? And you see what Samsung is doing by putting more and more software on top. I think it's night and day. The compare is so off.
Cook also noted that he doesn't view the PC market a a monolith because he works at Apple -- he joined the company from Compaq and said he understands the PC world "at that time because [he] was in it". He continued, "if you really talk to the people who went through it... I don't think any of them would tell you it's the same" as the mobile device market today.

Elsewhere in the interview Cook revealed that Apple has repurchased $14 billion in stock over the past two weeks, and that the company is open to making large acquisitions if it makes sense. He also reiterated that Apple is working on "some really great stuff" in new product categories, an assertion that Apple executives have made numerous times over the past few months, and that Apple is spending an enormous amount of time and money on the "Macs of the future".

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread has been moved to our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Tim Cook: 'Android is Like Europe', Many Different Things Under One Name
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:52 PM   #2
DBZmusicboy01
macrumors 6502

Not exactly.
DBZmusicboy01 is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:52 PM   #3
jonyive4
Banned

ba-dum TISS
jonyive4 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:53 PM   #4
ZacNicholson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ZacNicholson
shots have been fired.. your move google
ZacNicholson is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:53 PM   #5
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

So what does that make Apple, a dictatorship?
AppleScruff1 is offline   49 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:54 PM   #6
Goftrey
macrumors 68000

That's the worst analogy I've ever heard in my life.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:54 PM   #7
SethBoy
macrumors member

How insulting to Europe!
SethBoy is offline   45 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:54 PM   #8
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

At least Europe lets you go from one country to the other easily. If Android is Europe then Apple is North Korea.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:55 PM   #9
macrumors 6502

how about: let EU alone, and watch after your own backyard?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:55 PM   #10
MonstaMash
macrumors regular

He's right though. As more and more manufacturers add their own customization to Android, it's not so clear cut as, say PCs in the 90s that ran Windows.

It seems like most people are unaware that Kindle even uses Android.

And does TouchWiz even resemble the stock Nexus software anymore? The Magazine UX on their new tablets is unrecognizable from Android.

However, it seems like Google met with Samsung to address some of these concerns.
MonstaMash is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:55 PM   #11
godrifle
macrumors regular

And Apple is like the US, self-aggrandizing and unable to innovate since the glory years.

Bah-dum-dum.
godrifle is offline   34 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:55 PM   #12
sputnikv
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
So what does that make Apple, a dictatorship?
a single efficient country vs a collection of lesser ones
sputnikv is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:56 PM   #13
Albright
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goftrey View Post
Yes. The word "Europe" did not exist until Americans needed a word to refer to the continent. Ohhh-kaaaaay, Mr Cook…
Albright is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:58 PM   #14
Wuiffi
macrumors 6502a

I think he is talking about the EU (European Union ) and not Europe. Because the US isn't alone on their continent either
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:58 PM   #15
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klae17 View Post
At least Europe lets you go from one country to the other easily. If Android is Europe then Apple is North Korea.
The people of North Korea seem to be very, very happy. The second happiest nation behind China, according to their 'research'.

In all seriousness: Android sucks.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 05:00 PM   #16
peteullo
macrumors regular

Well... He's not exactly wrong.
iPad Air 2
peteullo is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 05:01 PM   #17
pik.
macrumors 6502

unfortunately he is right...

and stock android is like a beach near the Mediterranean....

Cook...you are right...

and wE ALL KNOW who is responsible for the european crisis...

fortunately google does not have any Huns :roll eyes:

for this

"Europe was a name that somebody came up with for Americans who didn't understand that Europe was a lot of countries that weren't like U.S. states''
he screwed it up
Old Feb 7, 2014, 05:01 PM   #18
RedOrchestra
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
He's a bean counter, not a poet!
RedOrchestra is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 05:02 PM   #19
Gudi
macrumors 65816

He is much too polite: 'Android is Like America', Totally ****ed Up

Last edited by Gudi; Feb 7, 2014 at 05:17 PM.
Gudi is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 05:02 PM   #20
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albright View Post
Yes. The word "Europe" did not exist until Americans needed a word to refer to the continent. Ohhh-kaaaaay, Mr Cook…
Wotz all dem staytes over dat dere big wawter whar paypul tawk funneh kawed?
Renzatic is online now   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 05:04 PM   #21
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

CEOoo no he didn't. that's a bad analogy, really.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 05:04 PM   #22
autrefois
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yes, he's going to regret saying that, if he doesn't already. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes when they speak off the cuff, but that's kind of a doozy.

Besides being a pretty bad analogy, it's an unflattering one. Comparing a union of 28 countries, which combined represent one of your biggest (if not the biggest) customer bases in the world, to your competitor in a disparaging way ("crappy") is NOT the way to win over customers or increase market share.

Depending on how the media play this, I can see this making big headlines and people getting offended (in my opinion, somewhat justifiably) by this.

Android does NOT need any help at this point and hopefully he can "walk back" the statement a little somehow to lessen the damage. Or hopefully it will go away quietly. We'll see.
autrefois is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 05:08 PM   #23
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
Europe was a name that somebody came up with for Americans who didn’t understand that Europe was a lot of countries that weren’t like U.S. states.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 05:08 PM   #24
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

Android is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 05:09 PM   #25
Renzatic
macrumors 604

I don't think he was saying Android/Europe is crappy, so much as it's not truly one cohesive platform. Rather a bunch of autonomous platforms that are loosely tied together under one umbrella of services.

Or in Europe's case, a bunch of self autonomous countries that are tied together under a common set of laws and trade agreements.

Though the quote itself isn't exactly the swooftest thing I've ever heard ole Cook say.
Renzatic is online now   39 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues