Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I am of the opinion that social media is mostly bad, but this is not an angle I could have imagined. Free proof for my theory, love it.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Life is too short to throw away an opportunity like what has just been handed to him. He may make small "indie" games, but this particular game will make him a millionaire and he can continue making games all he likes. Most people will KILL for a situation like the one he's in. Clearly wherever he lives, they don't use currency and he has no need for money. Heck, if I'd made a viral I would sell out so hard and milk it for all the money I could. Life is way too short and the world revolves around money.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
If he was truly overwhelmed with its success and wanted nothing to do with it, then he would sell it to another developer or even just give it away. He's just a dick if he wants to deprive people of something they like just because he "can't take it anymore."

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
So keep your bank account connected to iTunes.
Get a new phone number.
Ditch old email addresses.

Basically go off the grid while cashing in. It's easy as hell to disappear.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
Very understandable. Not everyone likes this kind of explosive success, I can imagine doing the same. Although it's not a very American attitude, as you can smell in the comments ("Dude there's like money lying on the street man. Money money, I love money."). I find this kind of fixation on money strange, to be honest.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
So you make apps, but don't want other people to use and like them? I get he might not like the attention, but that is kind of part of the package these days. At the least he should sell it or if he doesn't want money, allow someone else to take over and continue updating, just for the simple fact that millions have downloaded it already.

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHEN MONEY STARTS COMING IN THE MAIL YOU DON"T TAKE THE APP DOWN!!!!!!!!!! :mad: I LOVE FLAPPY BIRD!!!!!!!! Does anyone know if it will remain on my phone?

Yes, it will remain on your phone. It simply won't be updated ever again and new users will not be able to download it.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
he's announcing it will be removed a day in advance. i refuse to believe that this isn't a marketing scheme to get as many people to download it before it gets taken down and before the interest in it dies

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I don't understand how companies pay for advertising in a game like this.

The ads are on the screen for such a tiny amount of time, and you're so focused on what the bird is doing on the screen... WHO is clicking on the ads?

They don't they pay to have there ads on iAd and then developers place them in there apps.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The difference between this and every other game that makes #1 in the App Store is that the guy is being attacked by the media.

Minecraft, Angry Birds, Tiny Wings, etc, they all got a lot of positive pats on the back. This game is getting articles about how it's cheating you of your time, how it's making people go crazy, how the developer is making a bucketload of money off a free app, and the fact that it looks like Super Mario.

Can't even compare him to Phil Fish, who's only real problem was the fact that it took so much to get a game out.

Getting called something by a complete stranger isn't as bad as being called out as something by people who are established in the journalism and gaming businesses. It hurts big time. And obviously having all the frustrations of 10 million+ users is a nightmare for him too.

I hope he gets the peace he deserves.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Life is too short to throw away an opportunity like what has just been handed to him. He may make small "indie" games, but this particular game will make him a millionaire and he can continue making games all he likes. Most people will KILL for a situation like the one he's in. Clearly wherever he lives, they don't use currency and he has no need for money. Heck, if I'd made a viral I would sell out so hard and milk it for all the money I could. Life is way too short and the world revolves around money.

Different people want different things out of life.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Isn't this guy effectively just throwing away a huge amount of money?!

The currently installed base of the app will continue to bring in advertising income for a very long time. Lots of $$$. Enough to hire developer consultants to write his next game while he spends his time at the beach.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
To those who are crying out about Nintendo, he tweeted that he wasn't taking the game down due to legal reasons.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Some people don't place a high priority on money. Perhaps he isn't comfortable with owning a company and/or trusting others with the work required to keep the app maintained. He seems to be in it just for the love of coding, which is as it should be.

At any rate, we should respect his wishes as we would ask him to respect our wishes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.