Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Can anyone comment on the viewing angles with the Zagg Cover and the Folio? I'm trying to decide which one I'd prefer. Since the Logitech only has one angle, I'll likely not get that one.

Epiphron

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2010
Argh the zaggkeys looks amazing, but it's missing the crucial ability to easily take out/insert the ipad a la Logitech Ultrathin. :mad:

Tacit37

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2014
Question

Hi, thanks for posting this! The one review on amazon says that if one plans to remove the iPad frequently from the hinge then it may wear the hinge tightness over time. Do you find this to be true? I enjoyed the freedom to remove the iPad easily from my ultra-thin keyboard for iPad 2 so am looking for thin, light and removable keyboard for the air

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Can anyone comment on the viewing angles with the Zagg Cover and the Folio? I'm trying to decide which one I'd prefer. Since the Logitech only has one angle, I'll likely not get that one.

You mean like one versus the other? They're the same. Like a normal laptop in terms of angle.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Ok, so after a weekend with the Folio...

I exchanged it for the Cover. :)

Why?

I really missed reading/tablet mode and the Folio doesn't make this easy or convenient. Removing the inserting the iPad into the Folio is easy, but there's no place to stash the Folio with the iPad removed.

I've only had the Cover for about an hour, but I'm happy with the results. Everything I wanted out of the Folio without compromising on tablet/reading mode. I did have to go to a different Best Buy to get it, though, since my local one doesn't carry it.

eee36

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014
I had the Zagg folio for my rMini and thought it was wonderful. The only downside was that it couldn't articulate all the way to make the iPad useable in traditional tablet mode. Because of this, I got the Logitech Keyboard Folio. Much lighter and I'm able to fold the folio in a matter where I can hold the iPad like a tablet.

After having it for a couple of weeks, I find the keyboard is just a bit too cramped for me. Sharing the Tab button with the letter Q doesn't sit well with me either, lol. I was browsing yesterday and came across the Clam Case Pro for the rMini, instantly fell in love with the way it looks. It's like a mix between the Zagg (spaced out keys, laptop-like design) and the Logitech (fully articulates so I can hold it like a tablet)! I just placed an order for one and I'm hoping I'll be receiving it before the end of the month. If it isn't too bulky, I'll probably return the Logitech and settle for the Clam Case.

Has anyone tried the Clam Case for the rMini yet?

ffnc1020

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2013
Indiana
I had the Zagg folio for my rMini and thought it was wonderful. The only downside was that it couldn't articulate all the way to make the iPad useable in traditional tablet mode. Because of this, I got the Logitech Keyboard Folio. Much lighter and I'm able to fold the folio in a matter where I can hold the iPad like a tablet.

After having it for a couple of weeks, I find the keyboard is just a bit too cramped for me. Sharing the Tab button with the letter Q doesn't sit well with me either, lol. I was browsing yesterday and came across the Clam Case Pro for the rMini, instantly fell in love with the way it looks. It's like a mix between the Zagg (spaced out keys, laptop-like design) and the Logitech (fully articulates so I can hold it like a tablet)! I just placed an order for one and I'm hoping I'll be receiving it before the end of the month. If it isn't too bulky, I'll probably return the Logitech and settle for the Clam Case.

no experience with the mini but the ClamCase Pro for my old iPad2 is the best keyboard case I've ever come across.

captrlp

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
In regards to wearing out of the hinge due to frequent removal of the iPad, I don't foresee that being an issue with the hinge design Zagg created, even with long term (years) usage. Naturally there will be wear, but the internal design if the hinge is not just rubber. The front portion uses a "spring" design, whereas two rubber coated pieces flex. Actually, I wish it would loosen, then I could use the Zagg shield un modified!

j.benj

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
My Zaggkeys cover just arrived from Amazon and it's pretty awesome. ive had some other keyboards in the past but this one seems the most well-thought-out from a design standpoint. the Air really feels like a little laptop with it and the keys remind me of my MacBook Pro. Only thing left for me to do is take the Dremel to my Belkin back cover to notch out a little clearance for the Zaggkeys hinge and I'm all set!

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
My Zaggkeys cover just arrived from Amazon and it's pretty awesome. ive had some other keyboards in the past but this one seems the most well-thought-out from a design standpoint. the Air really feels like a little laptop with it and the keys remind me of my MacBook Pro. Only thing left for me to do is take the Dremel to my Belkin back cover to notch out a little clearance for the Zaggkeys hinge and I'm all set!

Can you post a few pictures of how you do this? I may try it with mine. Loving my Zaggkeys cover as well :)

Tacit37

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2014
Got the Zagg Cover

I ordered my zagg from amazon through J&R. I definitely don't agree with some of the reviews on amazon that it's hard to take out and be in tablet mode. The typing is a great experience. Good option for those who like flexibility of use.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I know this thread is about the Cover, but thought I'd post (crappy) pics of the Folio as well. Appears to be basically the same keyboard as the Cover, the difference being the iPad is basically fully protected instead of having the back exposed, you also don't have what appears to be an awkward hinge bulging out. :)

I'm kind of upset because I just saw that today but I bought a logitech ultrathin keyboard for $29 on amazon. I just couldn't pass that deal up.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Just an update, I'm going to have to return/exchange my ZaggKeys Cover. The keyboard itself freezes randomly and I have to power it off/on for it to work again. None of the buttons or lights work, sometimes it'll go days without a problem and sometimes it'll happen multiple times per day or hour. :(

Merthod

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2014

I agree.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I've been using the Zagg cover since Tuesday, and really like it. It meets or exceeds all my requirements. I especially like the Cut and Paste keys found on the upper row.

The only real problem I've had is, that I want to use the pads that come with it to protect the bottom of the cover, but there was only one pad in the package (which was sealed). So I'll have to find out how to contact them to get some more.

The keyboard also impressed my co-workers at work. One remarked that this keyboard turns my iPad into a Surface. I don't know how to take this, have I been insulted? :D

I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a physical keyboard for their iPad.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
I've been using the Zagg cover since Tuesday, and really like it. It meets or exceeds all my requirements. I especially like the Cut and Paste keys found on the upper row.

The only real problem I've had is, that I want to use the pads that come with it to protect the bottom of the cover, but there was only one pad in the package (which was sealed). So I'll have to find out how to contact them to get some more.

The keyboard also impressed my co-workers at work. One remarked that this keyboard turns my iPad into a Surface. I don't know how to take this, have I been insulted? :D

I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a physical keyboard for their iPad.

I believe that one pad has four tiny pads within it. At least mine did. Look closely. They are smaller than a hole-punch.

Valinor

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
Thinking about getting one, but was wondering, is it really impossible to get the Air into the hinge with a clear case on my ipad? I have something like this to protect my ipad:
http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-ThinShell-Partner-Manufacturer-Warranty/dp/B00CW1NBMO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1400158940&sr=8-3&keywords=poetic+clear+case
If no, think it is possible if I cut the back half of the rubber out of it seeing as with a clear shell/case it doesnt need scratch protection.

I actually sold my Cover and go the new revised Logitech Ultrathin for my iPad Air. The keys are nicer than the Zagg and there is no hinge, or lighted keys, but the build quality seems better to me.

Valinor

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013
I actually sold my Cover and go the new revised Logitech Ultrathin for my iPad Air. The keys are nicer than the Zagg and there is no hinge, or lighted keys, but the build quality seems better to me.

Cool. Didn't know there was a revised version. Finally you can adjust the screen angle.
Looking at photos, dont think i can get my ipad in there with my clear shell/case on :(

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I would be surprised - it's a very tight fit - but I'd say the same of the logitech.

I personally feel that the Zagg is on par with the Logitech as far as build quality goes, and I overall much prefer it.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
i love mine

i take it out with me everywhere, i have it in a soft shell case and it protects the iPad Air fine.

it is a treat to type on, but wish they would create a keyboard protector, that would dampen the typing sounds. wish they had brightness level buttons too! is there a brightness keyboard shortcut? i hate swiping up for the control centre that is so gay! there should be keystroke shortcuts to bring that ***** up hahahaha!

if you look up my profile on here and search my posts i think i have photos of my set up.
here you go hope this works?

Just to spark interest and inspire / motivate all young aspiring producers and recording artists:

URL]

URL]

*left to right: maxed out late 2013 MacBook Pro 2.6Ghz 16GB 1TB; KORG Microkeys 37; ZOOM H6 and iPad Air 128GB w/ ZAGGKeys Cover.

Show your mobile studio yeah?

Love you all thank you.

best looking keyboard cover yet!

love you all.

Last edited:

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN

Still happy with mine:) Don't want to take this thread off track, but here is a mini-review

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have never been a fan of adding a keyboard to my iPads. This is my 3rd iPad and up until this point never even thought of a keyboard except to snicker when others talked abut them.

Then I was at a conference last week and saw a colleague checking her e-mails and typing away during the day. Seemed just so natural to have an unobtrusive iPad/keyboard combination and be all caught up with her e-mails at the end of the day. As opposed to me, who ended up dragging out the big ole laptop to check e-mails.

So then I was on the search for my own keyboard. I saw both the Logitech and the Zaggkeys at Best Buy. I pulled them both out of their boxes to hold, play with and type on for a bit. The Zaggkeys layout is really stellar. The keys are extremely well placed and have a great feel to them. The typing experience for me is just like typing on a laptop minus the mousepad. I also liked the idea of the multi viewing angles of the Zaggkeys hinge. So I bought the Zaggkeys and got it at a discount, which was even better.

I've had a chance to play with it for the weekend and really, really like it. It has a great solid feel and looks great when paired up with my white iPad. If I had one gripe, it would be with the weight of it. It is heavy but not terribly so. I typically use the keyboard attached for most of the time at home but remove the iPad when reading a book or when out and about and not expecting to do a lot of typing. This keyboard is really a great option and I'm so glad I picked it.

Update: Okay, I thought it was just me, but I'm noticing double keystrokes with this keyboard. Thought it was just me getting used to the new keyboard but I've found other reviews with the same issues. I'm really bummed as I like everything else about this keyboard. Really makes no sense to have a separate keyboard for fast typing and then have to back stroke to correct double keystrokes. I'm going to return it today and try the logitech ultra thin.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.