Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Really, I would love to make $50,000 a day! Seriously, that's about 1.8 million if that kept up for a year.

So, really, I would think that there's something more to this story.

you mean 18 million!

triptolemus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
Really, I would love to make $50,000 a day! Seriously, that's about 1.8 million if that kept up for a year.

So, really, I would think that there's something more to this story.

I wish people would learn the difference between revenue and profit.

From TFS:

As promised, Dong Nguyen, the developer of Flappy Bird, has removed the popular game from the App Store. Flappy Bird has been the number one downloaded free app on Apple's App Store for almost a month. The game was generating $50,000/day in revenue from in-app ads.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
You don't get it do you? With the media these days and their desperate attempts to have something "news worthy," He's probably being harassed non-stop about the death that the game brought.

I doubt he was harassed before he made the announcement of pulling it, but he certainly was harassed afterward. I have a feeling this app will magically reappear on the app store in a few days anyway.

triptolemus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
what expenses does he have tho? besides the 30% apple share

You're asking the wrong question. The ad provider was seeing the $50k in revenue. The correct question is what expenses does the ad provider have in relation to that $50k? I'm sure they can substantiate their resulting profit margin to be in the neighborhood of 8% (whether or not its accurate) and pay Dong a cut of that.

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
You're asking the wrong question. The ad provider was seeing the $50k in revenue. The correct question is what expenses does the ad provider have in relation to that $50k? I'm sure they can substantiate their resulting profit margin to be in the neighborhood of 8% (whether or not its accurate) and pay Dong a cut of that.

"The game was generating $50,000/day in revenue from in-app ads."

Presumably, this is Dong's revenue from the ads shown in the game. He gets paid a certain $ amount per ad. Why would he quote how much an ad provider was making off the game? He's not going to care what the ad provider is making and he probably wouldn't know.

meechy

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
How did this game get so popular anyway? Did some big time youtuber or tweeter with millions and millions of followers give this game a mention that made it shoot up the ranks? Or maybe the dev used bots to raise the ranking and it went crazy from there?

Because the game is average at best and there are many more games on the app store that are way better than this but have got nowhere near the success this game enjoyed.

Thepoobear

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
So it's abnormal to value anything else, like peace and privacy, over the great god money.

Very interesting concept of normalcy...

It certainly is in the minority here, but putting aside that this is not exactly a random sample, being in the minority in one's values does not constitute being abnormal in any way that I know.

It's abnormal to put anything over the basic need to feed yourself.

To those without $$$, it's everything. Try bring poor and see how it is.

MacSawdust

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2002
Worst Game Ever

The "controls" are so bad most people can't get past 5. No loss to the gaming world here.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
It's abnormal to put anything over the basic need to feed yourself.

To those without $$$, it's everything. Try bring poor and see how it is.

I'm not clear where any information about the guy said he was so penurious that he couldn't feed himself. One doesn't need more than the purported $50,000 per day earns to feed themselves.

It is not my impression that he is without money, so I'm not sure where the discussion is going. Forgive the cliché, but this is a straw man argument. We are talking about a specific person, not a general issue of whether being poor makes money important.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
What a drama! I think it's a stunt to get more people to download it before it's gone from the Appstore "temporarily".

News update: The creator of Flappy Bird is so upset with so many people reporting the removal of Flappy Bird from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store that he's putting the game back up for sale."

:D

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
A huge tax headache.

It's actually really simple. All that income is coming from one source. He would just need to pay estimated quarterly taxes. It's all stuff he could hire somebody to do for next to nothing compared with how much he's making.

Thepoobear

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
I'm not clear where any information about the guy said he was so penurious that he couldn't feed himself. One doesn't need more than the purported $50,000 per day earns to feed themselves.

It is not my impression that he is without money, so I'm not sure where the discussion is going. Forgive the cliché, but this is a straw man argument. We are talking about a specific person, not a general issue of whether being poor makes money important.

What exactly is your point? I'm willing to bet a poll would favor my opinion to yours.

Thepoobear

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
Because the popular opinion is always the right one. :rolleyes:

Regardless of what your opinion actually is, haven't read, don't care.

Popular opinion is usually right. And being right more often than not is good enough.

I forget what this argument is even over. Shrink had to pull his "I'm a doctor" stunt and argue a simple comment.

----------

It's actually really simple. All that income is coming from one source. He would just need to pay estimated quarterly taxes. It's all stuff he could hire somebody to do for next to nothing compared with how much he's making.

Exactly. Most normal people could figure this out.

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
Some people seem to think he won't still be making $50k/day - he will as long as people keep playing. It just means he won't have any new customers so the ad revenue will decrease over time, but he'll still be making money :)

Fair play to the guy - sometimes a simple life is the best life, especially for someone who develops as part of a hobby!

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Oh no...Let's all start a petition. Quick!!! :confused:
BTW, was the $50K/day going to him? How much was going to Apple?

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
It's sad to see how many people here think that money, consume and fame is everything you can wish for in life. I know it's hard to think differently when you live in a place like the USA, but at least try to imagine that there are many people out there who just want a simple life without the burden of these things. I know most of you don't realise this, but those things destroy more than they achieve (Just like fast food, guns, media corporations, uncanny, huh). These amounts of money are poison for everyone and those around them. He's smart to escape the whole situation at once without trying any of the naive suggestions you hear from many people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.