Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimlaing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Central NC
Hello,

I'd like to use the HDMI adapter for the iPad, to display (sheet) music that is on my iPad's screen to another screen. This does work - but if I hold my iPad in Portrait mode, the other screen shows an iPad 'image' in the center, with lots of black on the left and right sides (I think this is called 'pillar box' format). If I hold my iPad in Landscape mode, the image mostly fills the other screen. But I want to have the music be a single 'page' on the iPad (held in Portrait mode on my music stand) while the other larger TV/monitor, mounted in Portrait mode, shows that same single sheet of music, filling its screen.

That is, I'd not have the other screen (TV or monitor) be in typical TV setup (Landscape). I'd like to rotate my other screen to Portrait mode, have my iPad in portrait mode, and have the output FILL the other screen. I know that the iPad won't detect when I rotate the other screen of course - I just want to find a Setting that allows this. That way my music FILLS the 2nd screen (a TV or monitor). I hate to see wasted (black) space on a monitor!

I want the other screen to be in Portrait mode (as I hold my iPad in portriat mode), displaying what's on the iPad's screen, iPad held in Portrait mode.

Another application of this would be a "digital signage" idea, where in iPad is connected to a larger screen that is mounted in Portrait mode (90 degrees rotated from they way a TV is 'usually' viewed), and have the iPad output FILL that screen.

Can this be done?
Jim

Mcclure

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
I think if you have the sheet music sideways (wouldn't be very useful most of the time) you can open the file on your iPad and lock the rotation, then turn your iPad to portrait (even though it is locked in landscape). It would then display correctly on the rotated TV as well.

jimlaing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Central NC
misc

Thanks - I can't go 'sideways' on the iPad then lock; if I go to Landscape mode (rotate the iPad), the music-display app goes into a "2-page" mode, which I don't want. When I hold the iPad up, in Portrait mode, the music-display apps out there all go to single-page, fill-the page mode. It's this mode that displays on a connected HDMI monitor in a mode that does not fill the HDMI display; it "wastes" nearly half of the HDMI display's real-estate!

Jim

jimlaing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Central NC
Trying to upload images to show what I'm talking abuot

iPad with music.png

HDTV landscape with Music.png

HDTV photo Portrait w Music.png I have done some mock-ups to show what I'm talking about here. One is an iPad in Portrait mode with some music on it. The next is an HDTV, connected via HDMI, with the music. The 3rd is what I want: the HDTV turned on its side, and the music better filling the screen (using more pixels). I can't seem to achieve this. When I rotate the iPad itself to Landscape, with most any PDF display app, the sheet of music gets smaller and is in the middle of the screen. Hope this helps!
Jim

jimlaing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Central NC
TV vertical (in 'portrait' orientation)

I'd like to get (via HDMI connection) my TV (which I rotate 90 degrees so that it's effectively a 'portrait' display) to display iPad as shown below (iPad held portrait, TV held portrait):
(attached is a photo of a 'mock-up' of what I hope to do:

Can this be done?

(I hope the attachment comes through; I've never used attachments on
this site).

Attachments

• TV portrait Pad image portrait with ipad shown.jpg
    TV portrait Pad image portrait with ipad shown.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,760

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
As far as I know, you can't get the home screen to appear like that. However, you can try taking the actual pdf of your sheet music and rotate it 90 degrees. Now, when you hold your iPad in portrait mode, the sheet music should appear small and sideways. Now go into landscape mode so that it fills the screen and lock the orientation. Now plug it into your rotated TV and it should appear as you want it to.

Reactions: JayMysterio

jimlaing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Central NC
portrait mode to external display

Thanks .. . yes, I found that I can get a PDF file to display this way. I was hoping to have it do this all the time, for any app, so that I could have the largest possible display on the TV.

Thanks for the suggestion ...

Jim

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
what you are asking for is impossible via the iOS software. You would need an app that is created to do what you want whether all in one app or via allowing two copies of said app to appear on the same external like what Real Racing 2 did

Reactions: JayMysterio

quokka

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2014
Portrait Time

I have done what you are requesting with the following....

Connect TV to PC/Mac, change external TV Monitor display settings to be in portrait orientation in the PC/Mac settings. With the TV now showing the desktop in portrait download Reflector from http://www.airsquirrels.com/reflector/

Ensure your mobile device and PC/MAC are on the same network and fire up Reflector on the PC/MAC and airplay on the mobile device (its in the swipe up options at the bottom of the device screen).

Connect the device to airplay and choose mirror and select the PC/MAC.

Now with the iphone/ipad you can lock orientation on it (slide up again and choose the lock) and on the PC/MAC you can click the mirrored image and set to remove frame and make image fit the screen as well as a number of other options.

We display phone contents at exhibitions this way to do live demos. Let's us print a nice iPhone image on the backdrop around an inset TV that mirrors the screen in portrait to its max dimensions perfectly.

Hope that helps, Reflector is pretty cheap to buy but there are no doubt other airplay enabled software devices out there as well.

Reactions: singleton

rkparis

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2006
I've been playing with external monitors to achieve the same "portrait image." I use a Lightning to VGA adapter ( at the iPad Pro), and then, of course a VGA cable (adapter to both a 4:3 and a 16:9) to external monitor. Doesn't really work with either, but the 4:3 has much less black on the sides. The 16:9 external was a "Pivot" Dell 1609w. I'm guessing that the iOS doesn't really support external monitor rotation/features (like a Driver in a Mac/PC) at this time. It's easy to control the monitor image from a computer with the right Driver. There's nothing anywhere in iOS/Settings that I could find re: external display rotation, other than to Lock the iPads rotation. However, the new iPad Pro's with the USB-C output probably does. It looks like Apple is finally getting behind expanding the capability to the iOS for video, and maybe sound, to go from iOS to an external device. At least for the new Pro. Considering the perfect fit an iPad is for Presentations, etc., should have been done a long time ago.

Reactions: singleton
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.