Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

espo56

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2008
Central New Jersey
I have the ipad Air. I previously had the Ipad 1 and 3. I was intending to by a mini with retina until I saw the air. No comparison. My husband now has the mini r and I am glad I have the air. The mini is too small. If I didn't have an iphone I would have considered it. The air is better for word processing and movies. When I want something more portable I just use my iPhone.

eggyhead

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2014
Mini, hands down. It'll fit in a handbag and it's cute by comparison. An air would be bulky, could draw unwanted attention, and will likely be left and fairly unused at home.

Mechayoshi

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
The Mushroom Kingdom
I like the mini. It can go everywhere such as purses and such but at the same time it's just big enough to be just as useful as a full sized ipad. If you want her to use it more get the retina mini:)

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
Hey guys,

It is not just another iPad Air vs. iPad Mini Retina thread.

For days, I have been struggling with an important question what to buy for my Girlfriend as a gift. In a while, we will go to our local Apple Store (Amsterdam) and I will ask her (indirectly) what she would like to have: an iPad Air or an iPad Mini Retina. Just to know what she prefers. As she is not very technical, she might say that she likes both devices. I do have an iPad 4 at home and think that it is quite big for her girly hands. (the Air is a bit smaller and lighter, but nevertheless)

The problem is that I perfectly know everything about the pros and cons of both devices. As a girl, she might fall in love with the smaller iPad Mini Retina. On the other hand, I know that the Air has a much better color reproduction, a bigger screen and better heat dissipation. (100 Mhz more CPU speed is not very important) While she might be able to easily travel with the Mini Retina and take it to her lectures, the Air is bigger and it is easier to surf on the Internet and read Pdf files on it. But you cannot comfortably hold the Air in your hands (especially, if you are a girl) and it cannot easily be transported in a tiny purse.

Is there anybody who bought an Air/Mini Retina for his girlfriend/wife/mother? What do they prefer? What do your "better halves" think about these two devices? What is your opinion on this?

Any ideas/suggestions are welcome! It will help me to better structure my thoughts and buy her an Apple device that she will enjoy for many years to come.

Just to let you know, the r mini and air are identical when it comes to performance and speed even though the air has 100 mhz more so I would say buy her the r mini, Believe me, it is better, I personally love it, I am 18, I am a boy and I can hold an ipad 4 in one hand but I love the r mini.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I would probably try this: Head out shopping somewhere with an Apple store and stroll in to look at them. Start playing with both the Air and the rMini and see which one she likes. Then buy it later.

I have a 1, 3 and a new rMini. rMini is my favorite, but it's a really personal decision.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have a 1, 3 and a new rMini. rMini is my favorite, but it's a really personal decision.
So true. Gender doesn't really play into it (unless you're taking purse size into consideration). It's really just a matter of personal preference. I know plenty of females who prefer 9.7" iPads and lots of guys who prefer 7.9" iPads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.