Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:43 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's iTunes Radio Streaming Music Service Launches in Australia

Apple has launched its iTunes Radio streaming music product in Australia, the first non-U.S. country to get the service after it was launched alongside iOS 7 in September. It was reported in October that Apple was looking to launch iTunes Radio in the U.K., Canada, Australia, and New Zealand in early 2014.

Quote:
Apple today announced iTunes Radio(TM) is now available to music fans in Australia. iTunes Radio is a free Internet radio service featuring over 100 stations and an incredible catalog of music from the iTunes Store, combined with features only iTunes can deliver. When you tune into iTunes Radio on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, PC or Apple TV, you'll have access to stations inspired by the music you already listen to, Featured Stations curated by Apple and genre-focused stations that are personalized just for you. iTunes Radio evolves based on the music you play and download. The more you use iTunes Radio and iTunes, the more it knows what you like to listen to and the more personalized your experience becomes. iTunes Radio also gives you access to exclusive "First Play" premieres from top selling artists, plus the ability to tag or buy anything you hear with just one click.
Apple's Eddy Cue has said that launching iTunes Radio worldwide is a top priority for the company, with Apple ultimately aiming to have the service "in more than 100 countries."

iTunes Radio is ad-supported but iTunes Match subscribers (AU$34.99/year) get to use the service ad-free. The service is available on all iOS 7 products in the Music app.

Article Link: Apple's iTunes Radio Streaming Music Service Launches in Australia
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:44 PM   #2
HackerJL
macrumors regular

Ugh, come on Canada!
HackerJL is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:45 PM   #3
stridemat

Lets hope the U.K., Canada and New Zealand follow shortly!
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:45 PM   #4
Sky Blue

It's just Kylie Minogue, Men at Work, ACDC and Natalie imbruglia on repeat.
Sky Blue is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:46 PM   #5
nazaar
macrumors 6502

Com'on CRTC get with the approvals, step in the 21st century!

(actually I have no idea why the delays in Canada, but I'm assuming it's them)
nazaar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:47 PM   #6
markfc
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to markfc Send a message via AIM to markfc Send a message via MSN to markfc Send a message via Skype™ to markfc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
And Craig McLachlan...
markfc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:47 PM   #7
chrisk1250
macrumors member

Clicking "Add to Wish List" doesn't actually add a song to the Wish List, right? I can't tell if mine is just broken or the button was never implemented because literally nothing happens or gets added.
chrisk1250 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:51 PM   #8
JarScott
macrumors 68000

So, the UK tomorrow right?

Right?
JarScott is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:51 PM   #9
stridemat

For us members who haven't used it, will this make me dump my premium Spotify account at £9.99 a month, instead for an annual iTunes match subscription?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:53 PM   #10
Lymf
macrumors newbie

Can't wait to have it in Belgium...
Lymf is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:55 PM   #11
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stridemat View Post
For us members who haven't used it, will this make me dump my premium Spotify account at £9.99 a month, instead for an annual iTunes match subscription?
Not if you want to listen to whatever song you want on demand. iTunes radio is like Pandora, not Spotify. I use it now and then for discovery but I would never replace Spotify with it.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:59 PM   #12
stridemat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Not if you want to listen to whatever song you want on demand. iTunes radio is like Pandora, not Spotify. I use it now and then for discovery but I would never replace Spotify with it.
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. That is one of the reasons I like Spotify as I can listen to whatever I fancy.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 02:00 PM   #13
puffy1980
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I shouldn't have laughed so much at that as I did!
Surely the UK released can't be fair behind in all seriousness tho....
puffy1980 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 02:02 PM   #14
Alumeenium
macrumors regular

unfortunately it's DoA

Spotify and YouTube already won the streaming war

too little too late guys…
Alumeenium is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 02:08 PM   #15
daijholt
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumeenium View Post
unfortunately it's DoA

Spotify and YouTube already won the streaming war

too little too late guys…
Not exactly. I've got a subscription to Deezer, which is basically like Spotify but with a different name, and the feature I use most is "Hear This", which basically recommends playlists of genre's based on what you listen to, kind of like Genius.

I've got so much music that it's easier to hit shuffle and see what plays.

Here's to hoping the UK launch is coming this week!
daijholt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 02:08 PM   #16
Elbon
macrumors 6502

Is anyone actually using iTunes Radio?

Not trolling - I'm genuinely curious. I don't use it myself, but I don't listen to the radio much in general (I don't use Pandora or Spotify, either).
Elbon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 02:09 PM   #17
macmurray
macrumors member

The CRTC is most definitely holding this up for Canada. I mean, who else is going to make sure we meet our Bieber and Bryan Adams quotas? Seriously though, they demand that a certain percentage of content played on the radio is Canadian, I imagine they are trying to make Apple play by those rules too, which would probably be challenging at best.
macmurray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 02:09 PM   #18
Semester
macrumors regular

I believe some rumor a month or two back said it is supposed to come to Scandinavia in "early 2014". I believe this kind of service would be great for me, I don't listen to all that much music but mostly on the radio if I do.
Semester is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 02:15 PM   #19
stuffradio
macrumors 6502a

Why does Canada keep getting screwed over by these Corporations? A bunch of these other countries like USA, and Australia have Spotify, USA has Pandora also, and a bunch of other music streaming services. Canada only has Rdio and Xbox music...
stuffradio is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 02:21 PM   #20
JamesWillson69
macrumors member

I can't seem to get it to work? I've gone into the iTunes Store app where it prompted me with an alert saying that it is available and if I would like to listen in the music app, (which I would like to) but it's not updating with the icon!! Grrr pls apple y u do dis! Haha #impatient
JamesWillson69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 02:23 PM   #21
JimmyTW87
macrumors member

plus one for a UK launch in the next few weeks though, it's just a shame the time it takes to please all the various wings of the record labels in different countries.

But I guess that's nothing compared to the insane challenge Eddie Cue has of trying to wrangle the US/UK Cable/Sat companies into line for an improved Apple TV Service!
Old Feb 10, 2014, 02:38 PM   #22
AcesHigh87
macrumors 6502a

Hopefully it comes to Canada soon. I completely forgot it would be ad free because of my match subscription but that kinda makes me want to try it out more.
AcesHigh87 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 02:57 PM   #23
Yumbo
macrumors regular

Onya iTunes! Not showing on AppleTV just yet.
The stations are impressive and extensive.
Yumbo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 03:02 PM   #24
Sym0
macrumors 6502

Quote:
What no John Farnham?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 03:04 PM   #25
jmh600cbr
macrumors 6502

as a canadian i am truly shocked.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion