Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Recent rumors have indicated Apple is planning to release a redesigned set-top box in the near future, and hints of the new hardware have already appeared in iOS 7 software builds, according to 9to5Mac and developer Hamza Sood.

There is a reference to the AppleTV4,1 listed in the iOS 7 Apple TV framework that handles AirPlay. AppleTV4,1 does not correlate to an existing Apple TV device, thus pointing to new hardware.

appletvreferences.jpg
The current Apple TV (which was tweaked in 2013) is listed internally as AppleTV3,2, while AppleTV3,1 refers to the 1080p device released in 2012. AppleTV2,1 references the first ios-based Apple TV released in 2010.

According to 9to5Mac, references for AppleTV4,1 first appeared in the original version of iOS 7 released in September, but were not discovered until recently. AppleTV4,1 appears to be a reference to an entirely new device that is more than just an iterative update to Apple's existing set-top box.

An updated Apple TV has been expected for quite some time, as Apple's last refresh of the device was a minor tweak last year that saw the device upgraded to a smaller A5 chip. The device has otherwise retained the same look and functionality since the third-generation Apple TV was released in March of 2012.

Rumors have suggested that the revamped box might include game support, an Apple TV-based App Store, and support for Bluetooth controllers. Apple is also said to be testing a set-top box that combines the Apple TV with wireless router functionality and the company may also be testing a version of the device with a TV-tuner component allowing users to pull in content from their existing cable boxes, overlaying channels with an Apple interface.

Recently, Apple revised its online storefront to give the Apple TV greater prominence, suggesting it has moved past the "hobby" status that Apple executives have long assigned it. Over the course of the last several months, Apple has worked hard to boost the content it offers on the Apple TV, adding a number of channels including ABC, Bloomberg, Crackle, KORTV, Redbull TV and The Beatles channel, which was just added today.

Article Link: New Apple TV Hardware References Found in iOS 7 Software Builds

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Looking for an Apple TV that will give me reason to purchase it in addition to my existing media box. So far, AirPlay is the only feature I really want.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I was sent a pre-production version for beta testing. It's virtually identical with the exception of this inexplicable form factor:

Y8XSziX.png

:p

Last edited:

Popsalopagus

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2014
I'm pretty sure if Apple released an Appletv/Tivo box, that I would sell my first TWO unborn children for it. I'm also pretty sure that my wife would sell me for that kinda box.

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Oh man. If it has a digital tuner, and can pull in my local over the air channels. that would be hotsauce. I'm not putting any weight on that.

But if I didn't have to switch from AppleTV back to TV for channel selection. that would be nice.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
There is no way new Apple TV is going to include a Cable TV tuner. Apple is not the kind of company that goes back in time for features.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
ok, seems on par with the thoughts/rumors

thee seems to be a greater push toward these new channels.
Maybe a new search over ALL channels (like a Roku Box)

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
honestly, I would like a USB port on it to plug in my hard drive with a mass collection of movies. Yeah, I already use airplay and my MacBooks hdmi port, but it would be nicer and easier to use the Apple TV as my hub.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Hope the cable tuner is true. Charter is so ugly.

I hope this will also allow Charter Communications customers access HBO Go on Apple TV finally. One thing I worry about is will Charter block Apple TV from using cable tuner you know how Charter is.

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Original content, Please!!

Apple has so much dang money, they need to start "creating" their own original content for the ATV! They could create Apple's own Food Channel app to go on the AppleTV, along with its own Travel Channel App, et.....

Heck, they should have been the ones to spring first and make their own movie about Steve Jobs. They could easily create their own movie channel app, hiring actors, producers, directors, etc, and start coming out with their own Apple produced movies, all for the AppleTV owners. Screw HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, etc.... Come on Apple, learn to be more proactive when it comes to competing for video content!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
We need an Apple Event soon… I keep hoping announcements will be sent out for something…. major Apple TV upgrade…. iWatch… iPhone…. iToaster… iCaramba!… anything new. :)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
There won't be a cable tuner in this. A cable tuner does more than tune to a station. It also descrambles a signal. There is no way Charter or Comcast would allow a 3rd party device do the "initial" descrambling. It could receive the descrambled signal and place a layer on top to show a grid of the stations available though.

FlyersPh9

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
If only they would be open to supporting all of the video formats, they could gain a MUCH larger percentage of the market. As is, I will be sticking with my jailbroken Apple TV's.
If you use Beamer it does all the conversions for you on the fly. I haven't found a video format that hasn't worked to date!

There won't be a cable tuner in this. A cable tuner does more than tune to a station. It also descrambles a signal. There is no way Charter or Comcast would allow a 3rd party device do the "initial" descrambling. It could receive the descrambled signal and place a layer on top to show a grid of the stations available though.
The XBOX One doesn't descramble the signal but rather overlays it's own UI onto the screen. I could see Apple doing something similar. I would absolutely love this feature.

honestly, I would like a USB port on it to plug in my hard drive with a mass collection of movies. Yeah, I already use airplay and my MacBooks hdmi port, but it would be nicer and easier to use the Apple TV as my hub.

Yep! Add support for all of the different video codecs and include a USB 3.0 port and I guarantee they would close to double thier market share. Unfortunately, they just seem completely unwilling to go there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.