Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:09 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

New Apple TV Hardware References Found in iOS 7 Software Builds

Recent rumors have indicated Apple is planning to release a redesigned set-top box in the near future, and hints of the new hardware have already appeared in iOS 7 software builds, according to 9to5Mac and developer Hamza Sood.

There is a reference to the AppleTV4,1 listed in the iOS 7 Apple TV framework that handles AirPlay. AppleTV4,1 does not correlate to an existing Apple TV device, thus pointing to new hardware.

The current Apple TV (which was tweaked in 2013) is listed internally as AppleTV3,2, while AppleTV3,1 refers to the 1080p device released in 2012. AppleTV2,1 references the first ios-based Apple TV released in 2010.

According to 9to5Mac, references for AppleTV4,1 first appeared in the original version of iOS 7 released in September, but were not discovered until recently. AppleTV4,1 appears to be a reference to an entirely new device that is more than just an iterative update to Apple's existing set-top box.

An updated Apple TV has been expected for quite some time, as Apple's last refresh of the device was a minor tweak last year that saw the device upgraded to a smaller A5 chip. The device has otherwise retained the same look and functionality since the third-generation Apple TV was released in March of 2012.

Rumors have suggested that the revamped box might include game support, an Apple TV-based App Store, and support for Bluetooth controllers. Apple is also said to be testing a set-top box that combines the Apple TV with wireless router functionality and the company may also be testing a version of the device with a TV-tuner component allowing users to pull in content from their existing cable boxes, overlaying channels with an Apple interface.

Recently, Apple revised its online storefront to give the Apple TV greater prominence, suggesting it has moved past the "hobby" status that Apple executives have long assigned it. Over the course of the last several months, Apple has worked hard to boost the content it offers on the Apple TV, adding a number of channels including ABC, Bloomberg, Crackle, KORTV, Redbull TV and The Beatles channel, which was just added today.

Article Link: New Apple TV Hardware References Found in iOS 7 Software Builds
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:09 PM   #2
musika
macrumors 65816

Same old song and dance.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:10 PM   #3
ZacNicholson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ZacNicholson
one day it won't be a rumor anymore. . . in 5 more years
ZacNicholson is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:11 PM   #4
Sky Blue

yesss, coming soon! Only question is when.
Sky Blue is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:13 PM   #5
Corrode
macrumors 6502

Looking for an Apple TV that will give me reason to purchase it in addition to my existing media box. So far, AirPlay is the only feature I really want.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:13 PM   #6
RighteousNixon
macrumors newbie

Location: Split my time between Detroit, MI & La Fortuna, Costa Rica
If only they would be open to supporting all of the video formats, they could gain a MUCH larger percentage of the market. As is, I will be sticking with my jailbroken Apple TV's.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:15 PM   #7
applefanDrew
macrumors 65816

Hope the cable tuner is true. Charter is so ugly.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:15 PM   #8
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

I was sent a pre-production version for beta testing. It's virtually identical with the exception of this inexplicable form factor:

Last edited by AngerDanger; Feb 10, 2014 at 07:30 PM. Reason: [img]
AngerDanger is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:17 PM   #9
Popsalopagus
macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure if Apple released an Appletv/Tivo box, that I would sell my first TWO unborn children for it. I'm also pretty sure that my wife would sell me for that kinda box.
Popsalopagus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:17 PM   #10
Lymf
macrumors newbie

Man, I'd love this to be release within the next few weeks as I'll be in the USA soon
Lymf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:19 PM   #11
Curun
macrumors 6502

Oh man. If it has a digital tuner, and can pull in my local over the air channels. that would be hotsauce. I'm not putting any weight on that.

But if I didn't have to switch from AppleTV back to TV for channel selection. that would be nice.
Curun is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:20 PM   #12
ctyrider
macrumors 6502

There is no way new Apple TV is going to include a Cable TV tuner. Apple is not the kind of company that goes back in time for features.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:20 PM   #13
BJMRamage
macrumors 68000

ok, seems on par with the thoughts/rumors

thee seems to be a greater push toward these new channels.
Maybe a new search over ALL channels (like a Roku Box)
BJMRamage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:20 PM   #14
alectheking
macrumors 6502a

honestly, I would like a USB port on it to plug in my hard drive with a mass collection of movies. Yeah, I already use airplay and my MacBooks hdmi port, but it would be nicer and easier to use the Apple TV as my hub.
alectheking is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:21 PM   #15
Michasss8
macrumors newbie

I wish there was access to Appstore from Apple TV.
Michasss8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:25 PM   #16
TsMkLg068426
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by applefanDrew View Post
Hope the cable tuner is true. Charter is so ugly.

I hope this will also allow Charter Communications customers access HBO Go on Apple TV finally. One thing I worry about is will Charter block Apple TV from using cable tuner you know how Charter is.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:30 PM   #17
Asclepio
macrumors 6502

i wanna a flappy bird app on ATV
Asclepio is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:30 PM   #18
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Please do something about that hard to navigate UI.
Razeus is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:30 PM   #19
TrentS
macrumors 6502

Original content, Please!!

Apple has so much dang money, they need to start "creating" their own original content for the ATV! They could create Apple's own Food Channel app to go on the AppleTV, along with its own Travel Channel App, et.....

Heck, they should have been the ones to spring first and make their own movie about Steve Jobs. They could easily create their own movie channel app, hiring actors, producers, directors, etc, and start coming out with their own Apple produced movies, all for the AppleTV owners. Screw HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, etc.... Come on Apple, learn to be more proactive when it comes to competing for video content!

TrentS is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:31 PM   #20
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curun View Post
Oh man. If it has a digital tuner, and can pull in my local over the air channels. that would be hotsauce.
+1

Quote:

I'm not putting any weight on that.
Speaking of weight-- I wish it weighed more.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:33 PM   #21
monaarts
macrumors 65816

They will need to have something really nice for me to go buy 2 new AppleTV's to replace my current ones.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:33 PM   #22
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

We need an Apple Event soon… I keep hoping announcements will be sent out for something…. major Apple TV upgrade…. iWatch… iPhone…. iToaster… iCaramba!… anything new.
Popeye206 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:34 PM   #23
Peace
macrumors P6

There won't be a cable tuner in this. A cable tuner does more than tune to a station. It also descrambles a signal. There is no way Charter or Comcast would allow a 3rd party device do the "initial" descrambling. It could receive the descrambled signal and place a layer on top to show a grid of the stations available though.
Peace is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:34 PM   #24
FlyersPh9
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to FlyersPh9 Send a message via Skype™ to FlyersPh9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RighteousNixon View Post
If only they would be open to supporting all of the video formats, they could gain a MUCH larger percentage of the market. As is, I will be sticking with my jailbroken Apple TV's.
If you use Beamer it does all the conversions for you on the fly. I haven't found a video format that hasn't worked to date!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
There won't be a cable tuner in this. A cable tuner does more than tune to a station. It also descrambles a signal. There is no way Charter or Comcast would allow a 3rd party device do the "initial" descrambling. It could receive the descrambled signal and place a layer on top to show a grid of the stations available though.
The XBOX One doesn't descramble the signal but rather overlays it's own UI onto the screen. I could see Apple doing something similar. I would absolutely love this feature.
FlyersPh9 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:34 PM   #25
RighteousNixon
macrumors newbie

Location: Split my time between Detroit, MI & La Fortuna, Costa Rica
Quote:
Originally Posted by alectheking View Post
honestly, I would like a USB port on it to plug in my hard drive with a mass collection of movies. Yeah, I already use airplay and my MacBooks hdmi port, but it would be nicer and easier to use the Apple TV as my hub.
Yep! Add support for all of the different video codecs and include a USB 3.0 port and I guarantee they would close to double thier market share. Unfortunately, they just seem completely unwilling to go there.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion