Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Hi guys,

Having read some articles about some people selling their iPhones with the notorious game pre-installed for a ridiculous sum of money, I thought I'd give it a punt and do the same.

Problem is, are these legitimate bids and sales, or does eBay remove the listing?

Also, how does one go about selling their iPhone with the app installed but without having their Apple ID linked to the phone? What is the safest way to do so?

I can't believe I'm even typing this, but if this makes me a wod of cash, I won't think this was a wacky idea anymore :D Am I dreaming?

Thanks! ;):D

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
I seriously doubt anyone paid $94,000 for an iPhone with that game installed (but I could be wrong), but there are some crazy bids going on right now on eBay. Just type in flappy birds and search and you can see some bids in the $2,000 dollar range, some less, some more. I don't know if they are real or not, but people are bidding.

I say give it a try. If it sells, then great, hopefully you will recoup the costs for another iPhone and to create another iTunes account to pay for all the apps you once had and hopefully a little profit. If it doesn't, then at least you tried, no harm in trying.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
Hi guys,

Having read some articles about some people selling their iPhones with the notorious game pre-installed for a ridiculous sum of money, I thought I'd give it a punt and do the same.

Problem is, are these legitimate bids and sales, or does eBay remove the listing?

Also, how does one go about selling their iPhone with the app installed but without having their Apple ID linked to the phone? What is the safest way to do so?

I can't believe I'm even typing this, but if this makes me a wod of cash, I won't think this was a wacky idea anymore :D Am I dreaming?

Looking at your username I can see why you thought this might work....

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
If it's not possible to safely unlink your Apple ID whilst keeping the app installed, I may just jailbreak it and install the .ipa

If you want money that bad, go and earn it like the rest of us.

I earn my money and I work hard for it. What makes you come to that stupid ass conclusion? Unless you're very wealthy, who would turn down an opportunity to make a quick buck for a relatively small investment? If you saw the opportunity, then you would go for it.

Looking at your username I can see why you thought this might work....

Haha, I guess I live up to my name. :D I'm thinking of putting a starting bid of £1337 ;) (just kidding :D )

Anonymous-

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2014
Plymouth, UK
I have just posted something similar about this on another section. There is one currently going for over £6m. It's crazy! Although, I do have an iPhone 4S which i'd like to sell which has the game on as I upgraded last week.

I, too, would like to know how to do this as well!

Darryjr

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2013
New York
I actually had a galaxy tab on eBay with flappy birds. I started bidding at $500 , made up to $3000 , words can't even describe what I was thinking. Shocked to say the least, needless to say eBay took it off due to copyright issues. If selling tablet or phone you need to erase all apps installed. Oh well doesn't hurt to try. If someone was willing to pay me ridiculous money, who am I to stop them. Lol

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I actually had a galaxy tab on eBay with flappy birds. I started bidding at $500 , made up to $3000 , words can't even describe what I was thinking. Shocked to say the least, needless to say eBay took it off due to copyright issues. If selling tablet or phone you need to erase all apps installed. Oh well doesn't hurt to try. If someone was willing to pay me ridiculous money, who am I to stop them. Lol
At least it sounds like eBay is there (in some cases) to slow down the craziness from spreading.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Selling product at a premium to those willing to pay it is "earning" money. In a certain sense that's what I've been doing for years albeit my customers aren't as silly but whatever.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Oh man, I had a great laugh. I hated that game and find it hilarious people would want to spend so much buying a phone with that app installed.

For one, if they remove their proprietary information, the game is gone.

For two, the .apk for android is still available. LOL I just found and installed it on my Note 3.

Such ridiculousness.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I have just posted something similar about this on another section. There is one currently going for over £6m. It's crazy! Although, I do have an iPhone 4S which i'd like to sell which has the game on as I upgraded last week.

I, too, would like to know how to do this as well!

You would have to sell your Apple ID, which I wouldn't be surprised if Apple shut it down if they found out you did that. You wouldn't even have to sell the phone, just give the buyer access to your apple id and they can download it from the purchased apps.

Caesars

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2013
I don't see why eBay is removing these, if I want to sell my iphone with free apps installed, who gets hurt here ?

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
The problem with this is if Apple sends an update that breaks Flappy Birds on it, it's game over. So do it while you can!

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
I'm going to say that its highly unlikely that someone is actually paying anything for those phones more than their regular price.

If you note one thing: Most bids are either with 0 feedback buyers or with low feedback buyers. The few accounts you may see with higher feedback...may very well be just hacked.

Under completed listings, the only couple that show sold are by low feedback/new 0 feedback sellers. Its nothing more than a waste of time by scammers from what I can make out of it.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
Pretty sure those are all fake bids to jack up the price. Either the seller has multiple eBay accounts with diff credentials or they got their friends to bid on the item to pump up the price.

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
Pretty sure those are all fake bids to jack up the price. Either the seller has multiple eBay accounts with diff credentials or they got their friends to bid on the item to pump up the price.

Sounds about right, maybe they just wanted to get the attention of media lol.

I just quickly went through all the "Completed Listings" for the ones that show sold....eBay has taken them all down and I highly doubt anyone actually paid that much money.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
the developer probably went on ebay to try to get something to calm him down from all the money he's made and found these iPhones and killed himself. :D

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Hi guys,

Keep dreaming.

----------

Sorry how would that not constitute earning it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.