Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:20 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

TSMC to Use Current Fingerprint Sensor Processing Method for iPhone 6

Last month, a report from Digitimes stated that Apple supplier TSMC was preparing to begin production on fingerprint sensors for the iPhone 6, and was said to be moving to a larger 12-inch fab from the current 8-inch fab to increase production efficiency. However, Digitimes is now reporting that TSMC will once again be utilizing its 8-inch processing for the iPhone 6, as Apple has cited concerns with the yield rate of the 12-inch fab.
Quote:
Apple previously decided to have TSMC produce fingerprint sensors for its next-generation iPhone at the foundry's 12-inch facilities using a 65nm process, the sources noted. However, acknowledging risks associated with 12-inch WLP technologies, Apple has finally chosen TSMC's 8-inch processing which enables mature yield rates for WLP to produce the fingerprint sensors, the sources said.
The report also notes that TSMC will continue to contract the packaging process other firms as a result of moving back to the 8-inch processing. Previously, TSMC was said to be handling the packaging process itself in order to centralize control over the component.

The Touch ID fingerprint sensor was said to be a key factor contributing to the limited supplies of the iPhone 5s at its launch last September, with low yield rates at packaging firm Xintec and iOS 7-sensor integration slowing production. However, with several of those issues ironed out and TSMC now able to utilize a refined process, launch supplies of the next-generation iPhone are likely to be more readily available.

Article Link: TSMC to Use Current Fingerprint Sensor Processing Method for iPhone 6
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:28 AM   #2
HiRez
macrumors 601

Somehow Apple has got to get these yield rates (leading to product shortages) under control. If that means sticking with a slightly older but more reliable technology for another generation, I'm all for it. When they can't get their product out to people, no one cares how advanced the technology is.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:29 AM   #3
Aussi3
macrumors member

Imagine if iPhone 6 didn't get a fingerprint sensor lol
Aussi3 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:33 AM   #4
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
Somehow Apple has got to get these yield rates (leading to product shortages) under control. If that means sticking with a slightly older but more reliable technology for another generation, I'm all for it. When they can't get their product out to people, no one cares how advanced the technology is.
They got millions of devices to customers. 9 million in one weekend btw. The demand is so high they can't even keep up. I'm not down for Apple withholding technology for a year so some people don't have to wait a month or two to get their devices. Talk about backward thinking.
Klae17 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:33 AM   #5
Chaszmyr
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesMac88 View Post
This is incredible as it will also as it will provide more security for apple users
I'm sorry, what?
Chaszmyr is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:35 AM   #6
BvizioN
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussi3 View Post
Imagine if iPhone 6 didn't get a fingerprint sensor lol
iPad air with no touch ID was a big deal for many, never mind iPhone 6. It will be murder around here if that happened
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:38 AM   #7
regkilla
macrumors regular

I have no problem with this. The Fingerprint sensor works great for me.
regkilla is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:42 AM   #8
saintforlife
macrumors 6502a

Apple should have spilt the orders between TSMC and UMC. A dual supplier strategy is always safer.

This also goes to show that 450mm wafer technology is a long ways off from mainstream adoption.
saintforlife is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:49 AM   #9
Serban
macrumors 68030

so we want to know if this will be still in home button or will be on the bottom of the display!!
Serban is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:49 AM   #10
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

I thought TSMC are going / only produce aX chips for Apple, good to know they also produce the fingerprint sensor. Good business for them.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:58 AM   #11
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Won't matter if Apple doesn't make the iPhone 6 much better looking. They have been using the same faceplate since the 1st iPhone, thick bezel, just looks like an old phone.

Old Feb 11, 2014, 01:07 AM   #12
newyorksole
macrumors 68020

Have a great feeling about the iPhone 6
newyorksole is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 01:14 AM   #13
Ajones330
macrumors 6502a

Was expecting new and improved fingerprint sensor on the 6. My 5s works like a charm so I'm not pressing for change...

13" MBP l 13" MB l iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB l
Ajones330 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 01:49 AM   #14
batchtaster
macrumors 6502a

Sounds fab.
batchtaster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 02:21 AM   #15
petsounds
macrumors 65816

So in other words it will be as useless to me as the Touch ID on the three 5s units I've had. Thanks Apple.
petsounds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 02:35 AM   #16
irnchriz
macrumors 6502a

Get those yields up and get it on the next iPads too. The number of times I pick up my iPads after using my 5S and I sit with my finger on the home button waiting for it to unlock before remembering that I have to swipe and put in the code is annoying.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 03:42 AM   #17
iapplelove
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
Somehow? It's not that easy especially for someone who has probably never taken a business class to understand supply and demand theories.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 03:50 AM   #18
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

At least Apple's fingerprint sensor is gonna last more than one model.

I remember the fingerprint sensor on the Motorola Atrix. They probably put a lot of effort into it, right?

But it was nowhere to be found on the Atrix 2. In fact... no other Motorola smartphone had a fingerprint sensor after the Atrix. Weird.

I'm glad Apple is sticking with it. I heartily enjoy my iPhone 5S because of it.
Michael Scrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:34 AM   #19
Infinus.gold
macrumors regular

Finger Print security is great...
i enjoy thoroughly;
hope developers make good use of this hardware....

It's worth waiting for the best.
Infinus.gold is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:10 AM   #20
Sir Ruben
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaszmyr View Post
I'm sorry, what?
It will provide more security for Apple users. Is there something you dont understand? Nobody in my home or office can access my phone thus making it more secure. Its not that hard to grasp surely?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:37 AM   #21
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Not everything Apple sources on the semiconductor side is dual sourced. Though that's a sound strategy, it can also lead to significant challenges between foundries - chasing problems they don't need right now.

Staying on a predictable 8" process while continuing to improve the 12" process is standard practice in this business.

They will likely second source in the future, however they could also simply tell TSMC they need a second source and let them deal with it. They do that with other suppliers.
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:45 AM   #22
todd2000
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruben View Post
It will provide more security for Apple users. Is there something you dont understand? Nobody in my home or office can access my phone thus making it more secure. Its not that hard to grasp surely?
It's not hard to grasp, but it has nothing to do with this article. His comment would have made more sense as a reply to the post talking about the fingerprint sensor in the 5S before it was released. We already have the 5S with a fingerprint sensor, and know that it increases security, so his comment was un-nesscessary.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 05:51 AM   #23
Abazigal
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinus.gold View Post
Finger Print security is great...
i enjoy thoroughly;
hope developers make good use of this hardware....
Apple will have to open up this feature to developers first. I think the only way to use it currently is via a jailbreak.

Which is a shame. It would be cool to be able to unlock apps like 1password using your fingerprint instead of having to type in a password every time.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 06:00 AM   #24
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Digitimes? How reliable are they?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 06:30 AM   #25
kdarling
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klae17 View Post
They got millions of devices to customers. 9 million in one weekend btw.
Note that they didn't get 9 million TO customers that weekend. They simply sold that many.

The press release is here. It also noted that:

"Demand for iPhone 5s has exceeded the initial supply, and many online orders are scheduled to be shipped in the coming weeks."

Quote:
The demand is so high they can't even keep up. I'm not down for Apple withholding technology for a year so some people don't have to wait a month or two to get their devices. Talk about backward thinking.
True, but they always seem to wait until the last second to start building. The delay seems to be mostly about wanting secrecy. If they started too far ahead, there'd be leaks all over.

Last edited by kdarling; Feb 11, 2014 at 06:36 AM.
kdarling is online now   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion