Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ValtermcPires

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Portugal, Cascais
SEGA-Sonic-Boom-840x472.jpg

Developer - Red Button Entertainment (Wii U) | Sanzaru Games (3DS)
Publisher - Sega
Platform - Wii U, Nintendo 3DS
Genre - Action-adventure

Sonic Boom is an upcoming video game for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS developed by Big Red Button and Sanzaru Games in conjunction with Sonic Team. It is the first game of Sega of America's Westernized Sonic Boom franchise and the third game in Sega's exclusivity agreement with Nintendo. The game is a prequel to the television series of the same name.

Screenshots:

96wdh4.jpg

segakundigtsonic_1058204b.jpg

segakundigtsonic_1058184b.jpg

segakundigtsonic_1058234b.jpg

segakundigtsonic_1058224b.jpg

segakundigtsonic_1058214b.jpg

Trailer:

- Sonic Boom™ - Video Game Reveal Trailer

- Sonic Boom Discussion - Thoughts & Impressions (Wii U Trailer)

Packshot:

N/A

Previews:

- Why Sega handed Sonic over to Western studios and gave him a scarf

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Typical touched up screenshots. We all know screenshots are as photoshopped (or extra rendered) as much as any supermodel.

I have given up hope of finding a decent sonic game. Sonic Lost World looks good - plays bloody awful on Wii U. For that reason I won't be holding my breath for this.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
A Gamestop had the Lost World game demo on their Wii U Kiosk and I couldn't control Sonic properly to get through the level for the life of me...

Graphics are great - too bad gameplay is hardly controllable.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
A Gamestop had the Lost World game demo on their Wii U Kiosk and I couldn't control Sonic properly to get through the level for the life of me...

Graphics are great - too bad gameplay is hardly controllable.

Controls are awful, they just never seem to get it right control wise. The 3DS version at least controls better - the amount of sheer frustration caused on the Wii U version by the sloppy controls, inability to target and slow enemy targeting just destroys all momentum and flow the game tries to create.

The best sonic game in the last 10 years is actually Sonic Racing Transformed.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I was quite interested in Sonic: LW at the beginning, but the gameplay trailers were a bit of a let down. Maybe I'll give it a shot one day, but with DK coming up I don't think I will actually. Should get that Mario3d game before either...

BUT LET'S NOT FORGET: Boom has a different developer and I've read that these former Naughty Dog's worked on Crash Bandicot + Jak & Dexter, good enough for me to be (a little bit) hyped again. According to my age that is. :D

Trailer looks gorgeous this time!

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
So first off these are not just screenshots but come from a live action trailer. This is exciting stuff - a Western take on Sonic - with combat that would appear to involve guns, punching and other things not done in Sonic before.

This has me interested for sure

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm upset and want to cry. But I have that reaction to every new Sonic game.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I was quite interested in Sonic: LW at the beginning, but the gameplay trailers were a bit of a let down. Maybe I'll give it a shot one day, but with DK coming up I don't think I will actually. Should get that Mario3d game before either...

BUT LET'S NOT FORGET: Boom has a different developer and I've read that these former Naughty Dog's worked on Crash Bandicot + Jak & Dexter, good enough for me to be (a little bit) hyped again. According to my age that is. :D

Trailer looks gorgeous this time!

Looks like Boom is based on the TV cartoon?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.