Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
She was 85. My parents and in-laws watched her in movies when they were young.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/agent-shirley-temple-black-dead-85/story?id=22457956

Ahem. When I was a child, her movies were often on TV on a (frequently wet) Sunday afternoon, so, yes, I recall seeing many of her movies, as well.

Latterly, it became fashionable to decry her movies ('too saccharine', 'too schmaltzy', 'too cute') but that misses the point somewhat, which is that, firstly, as a child actor, she was extraordinarily talented, and secondly, this note of relentless and schmaltzy optimism (which may well grate on European ears) was exactly the note her US audiences wanted (and needed) to hear, as a traumatised society just coming out of the Great Depression.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Ahem. When I was a child, her movies were often on TV on a (frequently wet) Sunday afternoon, so, yes, I recall seeing many of her movies, as well.

Latterly, it became fashionable to decry her movies ('too saccharine', 'too schmaltzy', 'too cute') but that misses the point somewhat, which is that, firstly, as a child actor, she was extraordinarily talented, and secondly, this note of relentless and schmaltzy optimism (which may well grate on European ears) was exactly the note her US audiences wanted (and needed) to hear, as a traumatised society just coming out of the Great Depression.

True enough, tastes change with the times. Her acting, now seeming over the top, was apparently perfectly adorable at that time. (To be sure, I wasn't around then..:cool:)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I saw this earlier this morning. I grew up with her movies, she was a beautiful actress. Every one dies eventually but I sure worry that we'll be stuck with the Mileys and the Beibers in the next 10 years. Classy is not a word that seems to register in some stars' minds today.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Didn't even know she was still alive, I thought she died a long time ago.

I saw this earlier this morning. I grew up with her movies, she was a beautiful actress. Every one dies eventually but I sure worry that we'll be stuck with the Mileys and the Beibers in the next 10 years. Classy is not a word that seems to register in some stars' minds today.

That makes two of us! At least she had a long life. RIP Shirley Temple......

Well, she didn't just vanish (or implode) after her days as an exceptionally talented child star had ended, and did remain, to some extent, in the public eye decades after her movie career had ended.

Actually, she seems to have managed successfully the transition into adulthood, (unlike many former child stars) although not as someone who made a career from movies. Later still, she forged a successful career as a public servant and a diplomat under some of the more moderate Republican administrations in recent times.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
RIP Shirley Temple. Nice to see a child star who didn't **** up act II of their lives.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Well, she didn't just vanish (or implode) after her days as an exceptionally talented child star had ended, and did remain, to some extent, in the public eye decades after her movie career had ended.

Actually, she seems to have managed successfully the transition into adulthood, (unlike many former child stars) although not as someone who made a career from movies. Later still, she forged a successful career as a public servant and a diplomat under some of the more moderate Republican administrations in recent times.

I never said she disappeared. Ever.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
She was a diplomat for the US until the mid 90s.

Mauyt68.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.