Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:39 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone 6 Said to Adopt 'Bezel-Free' Display

Apple's iPhone 6 will reportedly gain a "bezel-free" display when it launches later this year, according to a report from The Korea Herald focusing on both the next-generation iPhone and Samsung's upcoming Galaxy S5 smartphone.

Mockup of iPhone 5s compared to larger bezel-free 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 sizes
No significant details about Apple's plans for the iPhone 6 are shared in the report, with the majority of it focused on the Galaxy S5 and only a few sentences noting that Apple is working on a "similar" prototype with bezel-free display and fingerprint sensor. Samsung will reportedly be using a more standard fingerprint sensor than the display-wide fingerprint scanner or iris scanner that had previously been rumored for the device.
Quote:
"Scanning fingerprints on the entire screen, which was much talked about recently, will be available in the latter half of this year as there are still technological hurdles to overcome," [the source] added, hinting that the production yield for the full-screen fingerprint scanner is still far from satisfactory.

The source said that Samsung's top rival Apple is also testing a similar prototype sporting a bezel-less screen that features a fingerprint scanner.
Last November, Bloomberg reported that the iPhone 6 was planned to feature a larger display with "glass that curves downward at the edges", perhaps alluding to a bezel-less design in which the edge of the device is formed by the display glass itself rather than a separate bezel. A report last month from The Wall Street Journal claimed that the iPhone 6 "won't include a curved display", but it is possible that both reports could be correct if the design were to include a flat display panel fused to glass (or sapphire) cover that curved at the edges.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Said to Adopt 'Bezel-Free' Display
MacRumors is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:41 AM   #2
iapplelove
macrumors 68000

I will believe it when parts start leaking
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:41 AM   #3
mcphee7
macrumors member

NIce

iPhone 'Sicks'
mcphee7 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:41 AM   #4
doboy
macrumors 65816

ugly mockups

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:41 AM   #5
JonneyGee
macrumors regular

If this is correct, I think I can deal with that. I don't want a bigger phone, but the bezel-free 4.7" phone wouldn't be much bigger than the 5/5S.
JonneyGee is offline   35 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:41 AM   #6
Elbon
macrumors 6502

I think this will look good, and it works well for a phone, which you can hold in one hand. I don't think the same would be true for the iPad, though (maybe the Mini - definitely not the Air).
Elbon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:42 AM   #7
thasan
macrumors 6502a

thats... ugly to me. but well, maybe i will change my mind
thasan is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:42 AM   #8
recklesslife85
macrumors 6502

Bigger display is a dead cert for me. Rest of the rumours are all wrong most likely.
recklesslife85 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:42 AM   #9
mtneer
macrumors 65816

Wonder if the stiffness of the cage gets compromised. I'll make sure to buy Apple care with this one.
mtneer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:43 AM   #10
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
These rumors have been around since the iPhone 4. And I've always said "Yes please!"

So I'll say it again, I'd love to have it, but I doubt it'll happen just because of how many times these predictions have been made and been wrong.

At the same time, that accidental touch theory for why it hasn't happened doesn't make much sense to me. Nobody holds the iPhone by the existing bezel - it's much too small as is. It's just an eyesore that needs to be done away with.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:44 AM   #11
Bare
macrumors regular

Yesssssssssss.

The iPhone 6: the best iPhone since the iPhone 4.
Bare is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:45 AM   #12
NerdCore
macrumors newbie

God I hope so. I also hope the white space on the top and bottom are minimized a lot.
NerdCore is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:46 AM   #13
Adokimus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iapplelove View Post
I will believe it when parts start leaking
I'm with you on this one. Regarding bezels in particular, every new product that claims not to have them.. ends up having them. "Edge to edge screen" usually translates to "edge to edge glass," which the iPhone already has. But, I'd be plenty happy with a slightly slimmer bezel and a slightly slimmer phone with a slightly faster processor, as I usually am.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:46 AM   #14
thekeyring
macrumors 65816

Apple releases iPhone with bigger screen: 'APPLE ARE COPYING SAMSUNG '
Samsung releases phone with finger print scanner: 'SEE! THERE'S NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT THE IPHONE.' '
thekeyring is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:46 AM   #15
The Doctor11
macrumors 68040

I'm ok with it with or with out bezel.
The Doctor11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:47 AM   #16
emjaycee18
macrumors regular

If it is truly bezel free, how could you put a decent case on it without covering up part of the screen??
emjaycee18 is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:47 AM   #17
wouwout
macrumors member

mockup is silly, top and bottom will be smaller as well. There are some "bezel-less" (in reality small bezels) phones out there already, like the LG G2 - which moved the button and volume control to the back because of small bezels
wouwout is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:48 AM   #18
bushido
macrumors 603

i doubt they will step away from the fingerprint sensor in the homebutton already. they probably spent lots of R&D on it plus they will try to milk it a little with next iPad getting the homebutton sensore next followed by a touch screen fingerprint sensor maybe on the iPhone 6S
bushido is online now   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:49 AM   #19
hkenneth
macrumors regular

not fond of that...
hkenneth is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:50 AM   #20
peteullo
macrumors regular

I don't see a radical change in design. This mockup will most likely be the closest to what the final product looks like.
iPad Air 2
peteullo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:50 AM   #21
eternlgladiator
macrumors 68000

Why do I feel like the same rumors are being recycled? They really need to beef up the phone if they're going to do a design with no bezel. I'm sick of being required to buy a case to keep my phone in good shape. I can handle small dings or scratches but one major drop with all this glass and your phone is f*cked.
eternlgladiator is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:50 AM   #22
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Less bezel is good. More screen size without a massive leap in phone size.
jonnysods is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:51 AM   #23
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
A report last month from The Wall Street Journal claimed that the iPhone 6 "won't include a curved display", but it is possible that both reports could be correct if the design were to include a flat display panel fused to glass (or sapphire) cover that curved at the edges.
Wouldn't that make the glass/sapphire act as a lens?
longofest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:51 AM   #24
JohnMantooth
macrumors member

Like emjaycee said... I don't know how this will work with cases. Except for super slim cases, most cases come over the edges of the phone a bit. I could also see a lot of accidental contact/interaction with the screen, just by the nature of holding a phone and your skin touching the edges.
JohnMantooth is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:52 AM   #25
krewger
macrumors member

I don't want bezel free. How am I going to put a case on? I like the raised rim protector cases to keep my screen from being flat on a table as my phone lives face down on my desk all day.
krewger is offline   6 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion