Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

flappybird.jpg
Following the removal of Flappy Bird from the App Store, some entrepreneurial iPhone owners have listed their phones -- with Flappy Bird installed -- on eBay.

The listings have attracted attention from major media outlets, but eBay is actively canceling the listings because all smartphones and tablets sold on the auction site are required to be restored to factory settings. One user gave MacRumors the email that eBay sent him when it removed his listing.
After reviewing your eBay account, it appears that you have not followed eBay's guidelines to list a device that can hold media or software. As a result, we've taken the following action:

- Listings have been removed.
- We have credited all associated fees except for the final value fee for your listing(s).

Smartphones and tablets must be restored to factory settings before they are allowed to be sold on eBay. Please remove all content from your device, including the game Flappy Bird, before you attempt to list your item again. Please be sure your current and future listings follow these guidelines, keeping in mind that additional listing violations could result in the suspension of your account.

We understand that you may have been unaware of these guidelines, and we encourage you to learn how to keep your experiences on eBay successful.

We appreciate your cooperation.
Thanks,

eBay
Flappy Bird creator Dong Nguyen said in an interview earlier today that his game became "an addictive product" and he removed the app to protect users from the game. iPhone owners who have already downloaded Flappy Bird can continue to play it as Nguyen cannot delete the app from phones where it is already installed.

Thanks Blake!

Article Link: eBay Canceling Listings for iPhones With Flappy Bird Installed

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
The only thing more stupid than the game is the people creating articles about it.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Ah, this is good to read. I got a message from eBay this morning saying my listing had been removed and I thought that was really unfair because at that time, there were still many other listings.

Thepoobear

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
What's stopping me from selling as a wiped device and then just selling it with the game anyways?

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
At least we finally know what Android users feel like when they're reading an Apple-related post on BGR or Gizmodo.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
This is getting beyond stupid. It's an awful and frustrating game. The world is not going to end because it's not in the app store anymore. And there are plenty of knock offs available that do the same thing.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I took a bunch of flack about my opinion of this guy yesterday, but this just goes to show you how royally he screwed the pooch.

Assuming you want something on the Internet to go away, your only choice is to ignore it. Just leave the app in the store, don't respond to email, don't support the app and wait for people to get bored and move along.

It doesn't take long for that to happen on the Internet. But through his terrible mishandling of everything he is going to be pummeled by the Internet for some time.

Last edited by a moderator:

OriginalClone

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Uhm. What is all the fuzz about.

If you ever bought it the app will still be available under "purchases" to download.

So. I bet apple does not allow selling your Apple ID though. Hahaha.
When an app is removed from the App Store it no longer shows up in purchases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.