Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several concept images for the rumored "Healthbook" app that may be included with iOS 8 were today published on the MacRumors forums by member CarlosGQ. According to 9to5Mac, the site that shared the original Healthbook rumors, the app mockup "vaguely" resembles the actual app that Apple is working on and thus hints at what such an app might look like.

healthbook.jpg
According to sources, the mockups are "vaguely" the right idea. Of course, Apple is likely testing multiple different user-interfaces for this software, and since we are several months out from an official introduction, things can and likely will change (even drastically)...
Healthbook, which is a health-related app reportedly in iOS 8, is said to pull in health-related data from several sources, including Apple's much-rumored sensor-laden iWatch and the iPhone itself. Healthbook may be able to manage and track weight loss and monitor and store fitness statistics like steps taken, calories burned, and miles walked.

Rumors suggest it can also monitor vital signs like blood pressure, hydration levels, and glucose levels, aggregating information to provide an overall picture of health. As pictured, the app is said to have a card-style design much like Passbook.

Along with commenting on the Healthbook mockups, 9to5Mac has reiterated some information on both the Healthbook app and the iWatch to refute a report from MobiHealthNews earlier this week that tempered some of the expectations surrounding Apple's iWatch.

While MobiHealthNews cast doubt on the iWatch's ability to sense glucose and hydration levels, 9to5Mac argues the device may indeed have those abilities as the Healthbook app is able to read glucose-related data and track hydration. It will not, however, track stress or women's health/pregnancy as previously reported.

Though many aspects of the iWatch and the Healthbook app remain unknown, iWatch rumors do generally agree the device will include several important health-related sensors able to track elements like sleep and exercise. As 9to5Mac points out, Apple has some significant hurdles to overcome with both hardware design and regulatory bodies, so it continues to be unclear what the final device and its accompanying app might include.

Article Link: iOS 8 'Healthbook' App Depicted in New Mockups

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Ugly mockup, great idea. I have high hopes for the final product.

I do hope they don't go with the Passbook-esque card interface though. I find it kind of confusing/unintuitive. We'll see.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I hope this isn't the highlight of iOS 8.

I think this will be the highlight at the iWatch media event, not WWDC where iOS 8 would be demo'ed.

----------

Can't weight. A lot people struggling with their weight and health (like me) would benefit greatly from something like this.

Agreed. I just hope that Apple will expand its API, so that fitbit, blood sugar meters, and other health devices can integrate with HealthBook.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
Using the m7 processor this is possible now with apps like argus, i use that and it shows steps, distance and calories. Though it is far off from my fitbit.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
"Hi Honey, how was your day off?" - "errr.... great!"

Attachments

• healthyday.jpg
    healthyday.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 544

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I hope this isn't the highlight of iOS 8.

I hope iOS 8 has as few "highlights" as possible... I always value the million small refinements in an OS, adding up to a vast but easily-overlooked improvement, far more than most of the demo-worthy headline features.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
"Though many aspects of the iWatch and the Healthbook app remain unknown"

... For example, their existence. And all the details, if they do exist.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
It would be really cool if it can actually do portable (or even ambulatory) blood pressure. Right now the closest to that is a wrist cuff, but they are way too big to be an "iWatch," and you have to stand still to use them and hold your hand to your chest, plus they aren't as accurate as arm cuffs.

If you're interested, this is the most compact BP monitor I've seen, and it integrates with iPhone:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/qardioarm-a-smarter-read-on-blood-pressure?c=comments

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Can't wait till this age 40+ market innovation ends.

I understand this is useful and all, but if you really care, you can get one of the 100000 devices/apps that already do similar things.

I don't want 2014-2016 and iOS 8 to focus on something that the entire demographic isn't really interested in. I mean, reminder to take medications...really?

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Can't wait till this age 40+ market innovation ends.

I understand this is useful and all, but if you really care, you can get one of the 100000 devices/apps that already do similar things.

I don't want 2014-2016 and iOS 8 to focus on something that the entire demographic isn't really interested in. I mean, reminder to take medications...really?

I'm 27, and find it to be extremely useful. I do care, and realize that there is not a single device on the market that does everything the iWatch is rumored to do.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

sfsurfer

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2007
Is anyone else confused or intrigued about this line in the Notes section?
Carlos certainly likes doing rounds on Cindy.....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 5.48.33 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 5.48.33 PM.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 201

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
I don't see why only Apple has to make this app. There are plenty of great developers out there that can come up with a similar app and also maintain it with regular updates.

Right now, Apple should focus their engineers into making iOS 8 an improved experience instead of making new apps that only a minority of the people would use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.