Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Hey - thanks much. Yes I did get the MDP to single DVI thinking that would solve the issue. Can you confirm for sure that the dual link DVI would work?

Also, the one I found on Apple's site is about ($109 CDN) - http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MB571Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter

Is there a cheaper version?

Thanks again.

It might, but a Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter is close to $100, while a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter cable is closer to $10 yet still gives you the full resolution.

41xf1RsZXGL.jpg

Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Hey - thanks much. Yes I did get the MDP to single DVI thinking that would solve the issue. Can you confirm for sure that the dual link DVI would work?

Also, the one I found on Apple's site is about ($109 CDN) - http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MB571Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter

Is there a cheaper version?

Thanks again.

There are several generic MDP to Dual DVI cables on the market (monoprice.com but I am not sure if they ship to Cananda). But again, please read what I posted: a CHEAP MDP to DP cable is all you need. For $10 you will have full access to the full resolution. Just as I previously stated and just as Giuly posted.

jimterry

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2006
waiting for my cable!

I was confused about this same thing in a long and confusing post about whether I should keep a couple of 27" 1080P LED monitors. Glad I traded em, cause I have the LG 29EA73V-P up and running and it is the coolest... an I am using it in a stretched and ugly mode. The switching function is really neat, and something I didn't realize I wanted until I used it. I use matlab and do a little video editing and whatnot. The ability to stretch a timeline, or have multiple windows for the same app across real estate not on multiple monitors is cool. Perhaps because I have never used perfectly matched and calibrated multi-monitor setups, but not having to "focus" on another screen to get info is huge.
I am anxiously awaiting my "generic" cable from amazon. I could not find this cable anywhere in town -wierd that something this inexpensive cannot be found at any of the big box stores.

nthn0011

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
There are several generic MDP to Dual DVI cables on the market (monoprice.com but I am not sure if they ship to Cananda). But again, please read what I posted: a CHEAP MDP to DP cable is all you need. For $10 you will have full access to the full resolution. Just as I previously stated and just as Giuly posted.

Hey Paul - so I did purchase the MDP to DVI and it still isn't giving me the full resolution.

I am going to return the one I got and get the MDP to Dual Link-DVI as suggested - hopefully that should resolve it... do you know if the Dual Link-DVI would solve this for me?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Hey Paul - so I did purchase the MDP to DVI and it still isn't giving me the full resolution.

I am going to return the one I got and get the MDP to Dual Link-DVI as suggested - hopefully that should resolve it... do you know if the Dual Link-DVI would solve this for me?

*facepalm* Yes you COULD buy that, but don't buy it. If your monitor has a Displayport, then all you need is a cheap Mini Displayport (MDP) to Displayport (DP) cable.... *sigh*

nthn0011

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
*facepalm* Yes you COULD buy that, but don't buy it. If your monitor has a Displayport, then all you need is a cheap Mini Displayport (MDP) to Displayport (DP) cable.... *sigh*

Lol sorry man I was reading all of this as I was driving (bad idea).

So NOW that I fully read it carefully, I have ordered the MDP to DisplayPort adapter for approx 20 bucks.

I can confirm however that the MDP to Dual Link DVI adapter also works (it's just expensive).

I will report back on the MDP to DisplayPort adapter once I get it.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
These displays are mouth watering....more pictures of the 21:9 displays playing 2.35:1 movies and maybe some shots and screenshots from the monitors of some apps like FCP X or even just basic apps? Been chasing these down for a bit...

nthn0011

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
MDP to display port - no go!

Okay guys so I tried what Peter was suggesting above and it's still not working... I got the MDP to DisplayPort adapter off NewEgg for $20 bucks (Canadian)... It's a StarTech.com display port which I thought would fix it but it didn't.

So the conclusion is that the MDP to Dual Link DVI is what's working for me (that's of course someone can tell me otherwise... Peter?)...

I would have loved to use the MDP to DisplayPort and returned the $100+ MDP to Dual Link DVI.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
These monitors look awesome. Been interested in the 21:9 ones since the summer, particularly the Dell. But I'm looking at getting the ASUS PB298Q, it has built-in speakers and just seems to be much better than the Dell monitor in general even though they all use the same LG panel.

dublove

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2013
Looks very nice, but just wonder if LG have managed to sort their ips panels out, because if not... well lets just say half the screen you'll never see with the ips glow!!!

paganof

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2013
Okay guys so I tried what Peter was suggesting above and it's still not working... I got the MDP to DisplayPort adapter off NewEgg for $20 bucks (Canadian)... It's a StarTech.com display port which I thought would fix it but it didn't.

So the conclusion is that the MDP to Dual Link DVI is what's working for me (that's of course someone can tell me otherwise... Peter?)...

I would have loved to use the MDP to DisplayPort and returned the $100+ MDP to Dual Link DVI.

Hi nthn0011,

I'm getting this monitor to plug into my mac mini. Just to be sure, you got it working with this cable : http://store.apple.com/br/product/MB571BE/A/adaptador-mini-displayport-para-dual-link-dvi?fnode=51 , right ?

You were able to get the full res available to the monitor?

Thank you.

paganof

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2013
I just installed the minidisplay port to dual link DVi adapter to my mac mini late 2012 to plug in the LG 29 ultrawide monitor.

It worked great and I got the full resolution.

fouratj

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
I just purchased the LG 29EB73, and it's basically outputting nothing from my Mac Mini. I've hooked it up via HDMI and mini-display port to DVI. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I just purchased the LG 29EB73, and it's basically outputting nothing from my Mac Mini. I've hooked it up via HDMI and mini-display port to DVI. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Buy one of these cables, presuming your monitor is not DOA, and try it out.
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024606&ref=cj

Do NOT run anything over 1920x1200 off HDMI or DVI. Period. End of story.

You should not need the $100 mDP to dual-link DVI adapters others have mentioned above. If it's got a DisplayPort port on it, use that instead.

I use one of those $5 Monoprice cables to connect my Macs to a 2560x1600 30" Dell and it works perfectly. DP will handle 2560x1080 just fine.

fouratj

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
Buy one of these cables, presuming your monitor is not DOA, and try it out.
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024606&ref=cj

Do NOT run anything over 1920x1200 off HDMI or DVI. Period. End of story.

You should not need the $100 mDP to dual-link DVI adapters others have mentioned above. If it's got a DisplayPort port on it, use that instead.

I use one of those $5 Monoprice cables to connect my Macs to a 2560x1600 30" Dell and it works perfectly. DP will handle 2560x1080 just fine.

Thanks, will do that. I think it's DOA. The power light turns on, no output picture from my Mini or MBA 11" at any resolution, and the menu option, which is independent of my computers, won't show up either (it just makes a noise when I touch it), so quite sure it's DOA. I'm taking it back today and hope the new one works and ill buy myself that adaptor. Cheers. :)

MinkyMomo

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
California, USA
Hi there. I just got an ultrawide monitor but I can't seem to get 2560x1080. I have a macbook pro, mini display to hdmi. Can anyone help? The monitor is LG ultrawide 29inch.

I had a Dell 2913UW before and it worked well at 2560x1080 over DP with my 2012 Mac mini. Over HDMI, it was limited to 1920x1080 on that monitor; h/w max for HDMI is 1920x1200. I recently replaced the 29 with a Dell U3415W, rocking 3440x1440 now albeit at 50Hz, over DP.

You'll probably want to look up the particulars of your MacBook Pro and see how far the h/w will take you: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/index-apple-specs-applespec.html

sta1210

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2015
Corte Madera, California
Question - I was considering using this with the soon to be released apple tv, does it support hdmi-cec so that i could control the monitor volume through the remote of apple tv?

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
per the 4k thread, 3440 x 1440p is the best the '12 rmbp owners can get without weird hacks for 4k. Ordered my u3415w through adorama in the deal yesterday.

ap105

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
Hi there. I just got an ultrawide monitor but I can't seem to get 2560x1080. I have a macbook pro, mini display to hdmi. Can anyone help? The monitor is LG ultrawide 29inch.

Did you get this to work? I plan on getting the Ultrawide LG 29UM57 and it only has two HDMI ports and I have a mini display port on a Mid 2010 MBP. What adapter would I need for this to work at its highest res?

Would getting a mini display port with HDMI work? so MDP and the HDMI from the monitor plugs into the display port adapter?

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Did you get this to work? I plan on getting the Ultrawide LG 29UM57 and it only has two HDMI ports and I have a mini display port on a Mid 2010 MBP. What adapter would I need for this to work at its highest res?

Would getting a mini display port with HDMI work? so MDP and the HDMI from the monitor plugs into the display port adapter?
Yup! Works like a charm! I have the same display and I can run MDP to HDMI or HDMI to HDMI and it works great with my 15" rMBP. Also works with a late 2010 13" MBP I tested as well as a handful of other computers.

Movies look amazing in 2.35:1 on this display, I might get a second one if I can manage to clear an area for a nice desk set up.

ap105

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
Yup! Works like a charm! I have the same display and I can run MDP to HDMI or HDMI to HDMI and it works great with my 15" rMBP. Also works with a late 2010 13" MBP I tested as well as a handful of other computers.

Movies look amazing in 2.35:1 on this display, I might get a second one if I can manage to clear an area for a nice desk set up.

So, I got the monitor today and bought mini display to display port. The monitor will not display in its native resolution.

However!! When it's restarting and going into the OS right after entering your password it WILL display the correct resolution for a split second and then it reverts back to the stretched res.

Any ideas?

attila

macrumors 6502a
Resolution is only half the story. You also have to look at pixel density. The 29" ultra-wide 21:9 is actually almost 1.5 inches wider than the 30" 16:10. Yes, the difference isn't much, but it may matter to some. I personally see three types of people wanting this monitor:

• Gamers who want something a little wider.
  • Movie watchers to want minimal black borders when watching films in 2.35:1 theatrical formats.
  • People working with wide spreadsheets.

That, and it's about half the price. :-}

Actually, in programming you work with several text documents at once. Being able to have all of them next to each other is a massive plus!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.