Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ManifoldSky

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2009
Wow, just… wow

Did ANYONE actually RTFA?!? So many conjectures in the comments, and almost none I read seems to be from someone who actually read the article!
Begging Apple not to abandon smaller sizes? The article DIRECTLY addresses that! (5S becoming new low cost phone.)
Upgrading the 5C? Again, addressed in the article.
Again, why comment if you haven't RTFA?

pazu

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
The South China Morning Post is based in Hong Kong, it's actually a Hong Kong newspaper, not Chinese.

When you say a Chinese media, it usually means the media in mainland China (excluding Hong Kong and Macau).

Bilbo63

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
If this is true, I may have to hang on to my iPhone 5S for an extra year, and hope that sanity returns by the iPhone 7. If you want a large screen, for the love of Mike, get an iPad.

And no, I'm not saying Apple shouldn't produce larger screened phones for the no taste people out there, but please keep making a 4" phone with the top of the line components every year.

Do any women work at Apple? Have you tried putting a 5" phone in the pocket of women's designer jeans? The current one can barely, barely fit. The 3.5 model was much better. That's half your customer base right there!!!

Please, Apple, step back from the cliff before it is too late!

This doesn't need to be an "either - or" situation. I agree that Apple should carry on with the smaller screen for those who prefer it. That said, saying that those who want a larger screen have no taste is BS.

Count me in as someone who wants a larger screen. Quite simply, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be and a larger screen will help. I don't want an extremely large screen, I have an iPad and obviously that's not pocketable, but a 5" or even slightly larger screen fits comfortably in my pocket. While you may not need or want a larger screen there are a lot of people who do.

Personally, I'm an Apple guy and am not moving to an Android device to get a larger screen, but a lot of people have. I know many people who aren't "Mac people" per say, but would have preferred to buy an iPhone but wanted a larger screen hence they wound up going Android. Why they want or need a larger screen is irrelevant, these are people who Apple could have as customers.

Apple is leaving a lot of money on the table here. Not just in the hardware itself, but bringing these people into the iTunes ecosystem.

There is no reason that Apple cannot offer a smaller iPhone and a larger iPhone and keep both camps happy. Again, this doesn't have to be one or the other, it can be both.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I can't see them outright discontinuing the 5C. It would probably sell much better by becoming the $449 out of contract phone.

lewisdorigo

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
Ayrshire, Scotland
Maybe someone mathematically gifted can calculate - what resolutions would these be at 441 PPI and respective sizes? :)

Assuming they have the same aspect ratio as the current iPhone (9:16):

4.7" iPhone at 441PPI: 1016 x 1806
5.5" iPhone at 441PPI: 1189 x 2114

Those are some weird-ass resolutions, which makes me really doubt this report (more than I did before).

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

lewisdorigo

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
Ayrshire, Scotland
So if the X resolution is 1920, Y must be 780 for a 4.7" display @ 441 PPI.

This does fit well with a typical "actual" movie resolution though. Movies often use the Cinemascope format, which is not 16:9, but 2.4:1. This implies 1920x800, and this is the actual resolution of many 1080p movies, especially cinema versions. The missing pixels become the black bars.

That would be an awful aspect ratio for a phone, though. More than double as tall as wide? I can’t imagine anyone wanting that.

atmc

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
Porto, Portugal
I hope Apple keeps smaller screen sizes. 4,7" is too big. 5.7" I can't even describe for a smartphone, it is a micro/nano-tablet.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
The chances of them having identical PPI at different sizes is incredibly low.

Can't wait for a larger iPhone, 4.7" sounds about right, the 5.5" screen would be useful but I dunno, I'd have to see and hold it before buying that.

Jess13

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
Did ANYONE actually RTFA?!? So many conjectures in the comments, and almost none I read seems to be from someone who actually read the article!

They're afflicted with C.B.R. [Comment Before Reading]. Thankfully it's curable.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
This is slightly off-topic perhaps, but the most opportune time to mention it.

Does anyone else feel that, as the technology improves and as the design becomes more and more transparent, there's going to be less and less to get us excited about the actual appearance of our devices?

What I mean is, we're now at the stage of the long-foretold handheld screen. The futuristic compute device seen in sci-fi movies for decades - a glowing rectangle held in the hand with almost no physical evidence betraying how that hand-held glow got there. It just is.

Are the days of aesthetics (in terms of industrial design) numbered? Because we're almost there - the wafer-thin, cable-less, buttonless, screwless, distractionless chassis for the touch-screen. Design is soon not going to be 'almost invisible' it's going to be invisible, period. And this kind of saddens me.

I was with you up until this point. I want ´ technology to seemingly disappear and design to appear unobtrusive or even invisible. If it's any consolation, I don't see it happening any time soon...but preoccupation with (basically) objects of vanity – even if it's just due to an obsession with technology – is just a distraction and a waste of time. And, yes, I realize it might be slightly ironic or hypocritical for me to be voicing such an opinion specifically on these forums...

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I'm going to be very happy if they increase the ppi. Do you want a increased ppi? https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1687250/

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Current iPhone has a funky non standard resolution. Apple beats to the beat of a different drum, always has.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013

Those are some weird-ass resolutions, which makes me really doubt this report (more than I did before).

yea but even the iphone 5 had and still having a weird number so..apple is not making what resolution is in general on the market.. aka 720p or 1080p. They want their own for the app store and developers

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin

Perhaps they increase the width also..

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Current iPhone has a funky non standard resolution. Apple beats to the beat of a different drum, always has.
Why on earth does it matter to you? Unless you are a developer, which do not seem to care given the more than 1 million apps available, you shouldn't care at all about the resolution as long as it is retina resolution.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Begging Apple not to abandon smaller sizes? The article DIRECTLY addresses that! (5S becoming new low cost phone.)
Upgrading the 5C? Again, addressed in the article.
Again, why comment if you haven't RTFA?

Continuing to produce an older handset is really in no way comparible to having a flagship handset with modern specs of the same size that will continue to last as long for OS updates as we are used to.

The iPhone 5 is already too big. Not offering a handset with the same top line specs and at least the same sized screen if not smaller would be amazingly dumb.

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Why on earth does it matter to you? Unless you are a developer, which do not seem to care given the more than 1 million apps available, you shouldn't care at all about the resolution as long as it is retina resolution.
Step back, breathe deep. Read my post.

Only stating the obvious... That we have a non standard resolution now... Thus a non standard unusual resolution in the future is not an issue and unimportant.

Bilbo63

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
WHY? I don't understand why I would ever want my phone curved and I don't understand why I would ever want my tv curved.

Zactly! Tru dat.

Let Apple's competition waste money on such things. (remember 3-D TV?) The one thing that I love about Apple is they just don't do everything that pops in their head and they don't do what financial analysts say that they should do.

Curved screens? Why? What benefit would that give the end user? It may even make the user experience worse.

iWatch? People do not wear watches much anymore. Apple may make some sort of wearable device, but it most certainly will be nothing like the Galaxy Gear or Pebble.

Apple does not need to do a full on television at this time. The TV market is cut-throat and saturated with low profits. A set-top or wireless device that feeds existing screens makes more sense. That is a quick way into households that already have a nice TV. (nearly everyone) Apple doesn't need to make the display, they need to over-haul the user experience and content delivery. I love my two-year old 55" LG. The picture is fantastic. I don't have the money or desire to replace it in the short term.

Let other companies play in that sand box and lose money. It's not that I don't think that Apple couldn't make an awesome TV, I just don't think that it makes sense to do so at this time.

Last edited:

enrilo

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2014
4.7" bezel free, so:
-> 16/9 means that it's diagonal is 18.357559750685...
-> 4.7 : 18.35... = x : 9
-> x = 2.30423"
-> 4.7 : 18.35... = y : 16
-> y = 4.09641"
actually iPhone 5S is 2.31" in width and 4.87" in height. If it's bezel free, dimensions should be almost the same. It makes sense to me.

iphone-47.jpg

Eightarmedpet

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
London's famous London
I'm sure someone else has said it but I can't see them doing 3 sizes...
When the 5c was introduced I immediately felt it was so they can make 2 different screen sizes the following year... the 5c becomes the smaller simpler phone and a sub brand in its own right, but is in reality last years tech, it's kind of a branding exercise, repackaging old tech as a simpler solution. The 6 is the flagship larger feature packed phone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.