Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RDAR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
There is the tinniest little spec on my Air's screen inside the glass that won't come off. I've never had an experience of going to the Apple Store and getting something replaced. Would this even be enough to get it replaced. You can only see the spec against a white background if you look really close though. And how would I handle it? Do I just go there and ask them straight up for another iPad and show them the spec or would they have to be the ones to decide without me asking for another one?

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
you would schedule an appointment with a genius and it would be up to them unless you are in the 14 day return window.

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
This would totally enough to replace it... Apple is all about making you happy. Go for it!

If you're in 14 day return period (even a little outside) they'll swap it for a new one. If not, schedule a genius appt, and they'll swap it out May be best to checkout the new one in the store and make sure it's perfect for you...

Good luck!

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
It's called dust under the glass. Very common unfortunately, but only obvious during usage on some. Go, tell them this, and you should be taken care of with a replacement.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
It's called dust under the glass. Very common unfortunately, but only obvious during usage on some. Go, tell them this, and you should be taken care of with a replacement.

It is common in Apple products... I have it in my iPad air, had it in my iPhone 3gs as well. My Samsung Galaxy s2 skyrocket, s3, s4 and my nexus 5 doesn't have this issue at all and would be solved if they fused the screen to the digitizer

RDAR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
I took some pics of what it looks like but I don't know if you can see it clearly.
The spec is just under the 532 in the picture, would that be enough to get it replaced though. iPad will be a month old on Feb. 19. I just don't want to drive to the apple store because nearest is 2 hours away and end up not getting another one. And I live in Ontario, Canada if that makes a difference.
IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Yes.

Take it in. They will give you a refurb that will hopefully be up to your standards. And yes, it IS true that they could solve this by fusing the screen and digitizer... it'd also increase the replacement costs DRAMATICALLY (because you have to toss a perfectly good digitizer if you crack the glass), and people would just bitch about that instead, but it would solve this issue...

Personally, since Apple readily replaces for this without any problem, I'd much rather have it this way in case I ever crack the glass.

New lens, and you're done! Even out of warranty.

Samsung? Not so much. You'll be replacing half the device just to fix a crack. Bravo?

RDAR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Just got back from the Apple store. Told them there was a dead pixel and the Genius guy just looked at it for literally a second and saw the dead pixel and went to get me a new one. I also had a little knick on the chamfered edge and now that problem is solved as well. I'm pretty sure it is a brand new one and not a refurbished because it came in the normal plastic wrapped white box instead of a brown one that some people get. All in all though, I am very happy with Apple :)

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Yeah, that's a dead pixel, not dust. The picture tells the story in this case, nevertheless dust is still a problem with iPads and as someone mentioned - a seemingly solvable one. Not sure what's worse - a dead pixel or dust. Glad you got it replaced, and yes, it sounds like you got a new one.

Mechayoshi

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
The Mushroom Kingdom
I'm glad you got a replacement. My first rmini had a dead pixel too, only I return through Target instead of Apple (current one is perfect). Its a common problem so if your ipad is perfect now, enjoy it! :D

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013
An easy way to tell if it's a dead pixel is to tilt the device and see if the speck moves relative to the display contents.

I got an iPad air from Tesco (UK supermarket retailer) and returned it within the 14-day return period because it had exactly the same as what your photos are showing, although my speck was in a different location on the display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.