Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:35 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Likely to Slim Down iPhone and iPad with Thinner and Lighter Backlights

As Apple continues its quest to make its iOS devices thinner and lighter, the company will take advantage of advancements in LED backlighting technology to shift to thinner components for the iPhone 6 and upcoming iPad models, according to a report from LEDinside, a division of research firm TrendForce.

The report notes that a thinner design will see Apple shifting from 0.6 mm thick side-view LED backlights to 0.4 mm thick modules, but also questionably claims that the iPhone 6 will arrive in June. The iPhone 6 is generally expected to arrive in the same September-October timeframe seen in recent years.
Quote:
According to sources from Apple supply chain, the iPhone 6 is likely to be released in June 2014, and will have larger monitor size of 4.7". Industry insiders also projected the iPhone 6 will have a much lighter frame, which will lead to upgrades in LED backlight specs. In the previous generation, the iPhone used 0.6t side-view type LED, in contrast the new iPhone will probably be adopting 0.4t side-view type LED.
Apple has been rumored to be increasing display size for the iPhone 6, and while LEDinside's report only mentions a 4.7-inch model, a number of other claims have included an even larger model at 5.5-5.7 inches. Larger displays will undoubtedly lead to larger device bodies, but that extra height and width could give Apple more room to spread out components and reduce device thickness from the current 7.6 mm of the iPhone 5s, and thinner backlights could aid that goal in an industry where fractions of a millimeter count.

LEDinside claims that similar changes are coming for the iPad, particularly with a rumored 12-inch model. According to the report, new iPads will see their backlights shift to 0.6 mm thick modules from the current 0.8 mm components.

Article Link: Apple Likely to Slim Down iPhone and iPad with Thinner and Lighter Backlights
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Corrode
macrumors 6502

I already think the iPhone is a bit too thin for comfort in my hand. But it's perfect with a case on it so I guess its the best of both worlds for those who like it thin, and those who like it thick. (There must be a euphemism in there somewhere.)
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:38 AM   #3
Wuiffi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
and reduce device thickness from the current 7.6 mm of the iPhone 5s, and thinner backlights could aid that goal in an industry where fractions of a millimeter count
yes it counts. Don't make it thinner!!!

Leave it so you can improve the camera and put in a bigger battery!!!!
No need for even thinner devices
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:38 AM   #4
chirpie
macrumors 6502a

How light is too light? I like just a touch of heft myself. The weight of the 4s was my comfort zone.
chirpie is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:38 AM   #5
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

I feel like a broken record for saying this, but I wish Apple would keep the thickness the same and use the extra space for a bigger battery.
Cougarcat is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:39 AM   #6
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Good! My number one complaint was always how thick the iPhone is!

Keep the same thick-ness and add a better camera or more battery. At some point its too thin.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:39 AM   #7
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

If the rumors are true, the next iPhone will be a 4.7/5.5" sheet of paper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paper_01.png
Views:	60
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	460672  
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:40 AM   #8
applestory
macrumors newbie

Much Innovation. Such unbelievable. WOW

Never saw this coming. Quite unexpected
applestory is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:40 AM   #9
gatearray
macrumors 65816

Going back to June like the iPhone 4, etc. has made a lot of sense to me for a while now. There's too much money being left on the table and the market wants an iPhone with a larger screen NOW so the sooner the better.
gatearray is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:41 AM   #10
sputnikv
macrumors regular

there will be a point in which thinner and lighter combined with a larger and better screen can no longer be improved or appreciated
sputnikv is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:42 AM   #11
lucky4udanny
macrumors newbie

That's thin

0.6mm screen. I thought they meant for the whole device for a moment.

Last edited by lucky4udanny; Feb 12, 2014 at 10:44 AM. Reason: misread post
lucky4udanny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:42 AM   #12
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
I feel like a broken record for saying this, but I wish Apple would keep the thickness the same and use the extra space for a bigger battery.
You have hit the nail on the head! Battery life is a primary characteristic that they could improve and and using the extra space for an increase in battery size is the way to go. Of course, if they have found another way to give great battery life without increasing the battery size and adding that extra weight, I'm all for thinner.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:43 AM   #13
luckydcxx
macrumors 6502a

Can we just see some leaks already!?
luckydcxx is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:44 AM   #14
nazaar
macrumors 6502

I don't think the iPhone needs to be any thinner than current model. When it gets too thin and light then it just doesn't feel solid/comfortable in hand.
nazaar is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:44 AM   #15
mskill
macrumors newbie

Even though I upgraded to the 5s at the end of 2013, I wouldn't be mad if they returned to a June release. Tired of waiting most of the year to see a release.
mskill is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:44 AM   #16
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

Macrumors states that the iPhone is generally expected to arrive this fall, but then follows that sentence with a quote that states that the iPhone is expected to be released in June 2014. Reads a little oddly!

Reducing thickness is great, but I really don't need a thinner iPhone. If any components can be thinned, it'd be great to use that extra space for a marginally bigger battery. Smartphone battery life still leaves quite a bit to be desired for phones as thin as the iPhone. Give us the same or similar form factor with iPad-like battery life and I'll be a happy camper.
Amplelink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:45 AM   #17
Lefty21
macrumors member

Wait wait wait, so the new iPhone and iPad are going to be lighter AND thinner?

Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:45 AM   #18
mic j
macrumors 68000

How about making it thinner but adding some lead shot to it so if feels heavier in the hand?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:46 AM   #19
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
If the rumors are true, the next iPhone will be a 4.7/5.5" sheet of paper.
Actually, when I see those dynamic newspapers in sic-fi movies (like Minority Report) I get really excited about the idea of a foldable, bendable sheet display with wifi.

Maybe Apple will get us there incrementally
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:46 AM   #20
AppleScruff1
macrumors 603

Everything Apple makes is thin, slippery and easy to drop. You almost need a case for the iPad and iPhone and the MBA is slippery to, but at least it's a little bigger to get a better grip. Thin for the sake of being thin isn't so hot, IMO.
AppleScruff1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:46 AM   #21
The Doctor11
macrumors 65816

Yay thinner and lighter is always good.
The Doctor11 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:47 AM   #22
musika
macrumors 65816

Because the phone isn't already thin enough?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:50 AM   #23
Flood123
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty21 View Post
Wait wait wait, so the new iPhone and iPad are going to be lighter AND thinner?

I love the tim and Eric gif.

They will probably call it the iPhone air lol.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:51 AM   #24
applestory
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskill View Post
Even though I upgraded to the 5s at the end of 2013, I wouldn't be mad if they returned to a June release. Tired of waiting most of the year to see a release.
I think its more of a business strategy that they do a September release. In September, "back to school" madness happens, so some parents might buy their kids new iPhones for school or whatnot. And following September, you have big ass holidays like B Friday and Christmas (Hanukkah/among others...).

opposed to a june release, more people will forget to buy for the Holidays... since its so far away. and apple will fall behind to whoever releases products very close to the Holiday season.

But in reality, I want a june release! but I highly, highly doubt it.
applestory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:52 AM   #25
Flood123
macrumors 6502a

Thin is sexy. That is public opinion. Public opinion sells

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion