Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
According to IGN, Sony is holding a press conference on January 30th where it will undoubtedly launch the PS Vita Slim in Europe/the US.

I'm in the market for a Vita (I have a PS4), so do you think it's worth it, considering the screen is worse etc?

I think you can import the slim for about £160 so this gives us a rough indication of what it will cost.

I can't find the original Vita new and boxed at a low price any more, I've seen it listed on Amazon for as much as £180 boxed and sealed - I don't think Sony imports it nowadays so stock is obviously limited.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Still can get vita here cheap. 16gb card, 10 game disney PS Vita bundle is 170 euro = 140 sterling.

I may be tempted to sell my brand new vita for one of the slimmer ones though.

I DO want a Vita TV for the spare room so I can have my PS4 in one room and still play in the other.

Last edited:

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
It came out on February 7th...but £180 seems a little steep; I'm going to wait until PS Now comes out and see what it's like - also to see what games come out in 2014 for Vita, the library seems a little barren at the minute.

It sounds like a North American version bundled with Borderlands 2 is imminent as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H__JZRazLyU.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I hear that the new Vita uses cheaper components like the screen being LCD - never having owned a Vita would I be better off trying to find an OG Vita instead of this new one?

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
There is a comparison video of the two screens here, I don't think it makes much difference, but the colours definitely look slightly better on the older model..however you get an extra hour's battery life with the new model if this is important to you, bearing in mind it is a portable console. Beware that the older model is creeping up in price, because it is not being made anymore, so you'll be lucky to get one on the cheap.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I hear that the new Vita uses cheaper components like the screen being LCD - never having owned a Vita would I be better off trying to find an OG Vita instead of this new one?

Get the OLED. The LED one is really washed out compared, worst of all blacks are much lighter. They're amazing on the OLED as the contrast is through the roof.

The density is also well hidden on the OLED model. It's really hard to see the pixel boundaries on it and looks a much higher resolution that what it really is.

There's a good weight to it and the battery has been good for me. I've never had it die on me whilst out and about. If you turn off wifi and bluetooth you can squeeze out an additional hour of power too which is good for the road.

But yeah the new one is definitely the budget model version. The slight yellow tinge to the LED screen doesn't help it either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.