Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Is there a certain version of Youtube5 i need to look for? or just the most up to date one?

Most current one works. Luckily (like Steve said in the Intel announcement), widgets and plug-ins "just work" on both PPC and Intel. Hopefully they won't drop support for Safari 5 anytime soon with YouTube 5.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Leopard WebKit is more updated than Safari for PPC (Version 5.0.6), but TenFourFox has the most support. Do yourself a favor and use TenFourFox. To ensure you get an optimal web experience you are going to want three things. TenFourFox (Latest Version), MacTubes 3.1.6, and MacTubes Enabler.

Get everything setup and install both MacTubes and MacTubes Enabler. Then fire up MacTubes and go to Preferences. Set the video player to QuickTime Player. This will prevent Flash from being used and also play videos in a better format for a G5.

As for video and photo editing. iLife is a good place to start for beginners. However, old copies of Photoshop and Creative Suite can be had for pennies compared to the newer versions. The best it will run is CS4, but CS2 can be acquired much cheaper. Final Cut Pro will run officially up to version 6, but a hack can be used to get version 7 going.

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
To people saying webkit is not updated.... I suggest you take a look at their webpage. They are releasing nightlies all the time.

Also webkit for leopard IS faster than T4Fx, there are many pages that you can try out... like peacekeeper and see the performance in real time.

And oh, get the latest webkit and try out clicktoflash plugin, that will change A LOT of flash videos around the web and show them as HTML 5 video... much better than mactubes enabler as it works on many sites.

see here for explanation:
http://powerpcaccess.blogspot.se/2013/02/best-powerpc-web-browser-v2.html#.UvibUJE0hKE

cheers

hulksmashed31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
Leopard WebKit is more updated than Safari for PPC (Version 5.0.6), but TenFourFox has the most support. Do yourself a favor and use TenFourFox. To ensure you get an optimal web experience you are going to want three things. TenFourFox (Latest Version), MacTubes 3.1.6, and MacTubes Enabler.

Get everything setup and install both MacTubes and MacTubes Enabler. Then fire up MacTubes and go to Preferences. Set the video player to QuickTime Player. This will prevent Flash from being used and also play videos in a better format for a G5.

As for video and photo editing. iLife is a good place to start for beginners. However, old copies of Photoshop and Creative Suite can be had for pennies compared to the newer versions. The best it will run is CS4, but CS2 can be acquired much cheaper. Final Cut Pro will run officially up to version 6, but a hack can be used to get version 7 going.

Thanks for that ill definitely check out iLife, CS4, and Final Cut Pro 7.

Thanks for all the tips and info
So I installed Webkit 537.74.11_3 and tried the Youtube5. The performance was actually worse for me. Same with trying to use QuickTime in Mactube.

But hey regular YouTube works and 720p runs pretty smooth in Webkit without Youtube5
and I don't mind using mactube, still runs pretty smooth.

One thing that has surprised me about this computer is that its actually decently fast. Considering my main laptop is a dual core intel atom for school lol. Which does not handle YouTube past 480 at all.

Overall I am very satisfied software wise. Oh man! Once I max out the ram and put a new video card this thing will be beastly

Last edited:

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
So I installed Webkit 537.74.11_3 and tried the Youtube5. The performance was actually worse for me. Same with trying to use QuickTime in Mactube.

Really? I was just watching Youtube videos via MacTubes with QuickTime, and it works great for me! Whereas Saferi/Webkit and flash is a lot laggier for me!

hulksmashed31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
Really? I was just watching Youtube videos via MacTubes with QuickTime, and it works great for me! Whereas Saferi/Webkit and flash is a lot laggier for me!

I take that back I just restarted and tried again. It looks great actually!

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Granted some YouTube videos look better through Flash Player, you won't see a huge CPU spike. I would recommend sticking with Final Cut Pro 6 or earlier as the hack does have some issues.

Have you checked for leaks yet? Sadly, the dual 2.5 and dual 2.7 had really unreliable LCS pumps. The quad 2.5 was generally much more reliable. Hope there is no leaks at all.

hulksmashed31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
Granted some YouTube videos look better through Flash Player, you won't see a huge CPU spike. I would recommend sticking with Final Cut Pro 6 or earlier as the hack does have some issues.

Have you checked for leaks yet? Sadly, the dual 2.5 and dual 2.7 had really unreliable LCS pumps. The quad 2.5 was generally much more reliable. Hope there is no leaks at all.

Okay thanks

I did open up the case and tried to take a peek inside as well as the bottom of the case handles, and I didn't see any odd liquid.

For Spotify 0.6.6.10, should I be able to listen to the radio?
Ill click radio then a category, but nothing happens

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I haven't had an issue before. However, the last time I used Spotify Radio on my PowerMac was a good four months ago. Maybe someone who has tried it more recently can chime in.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Okay thanks

I did open up the case and tried to take a peek inside as well as the bottom of the case handles, and I didn't see any odd liquid.

For Spotify 0.6.6.10, should I be able to listen to the radio?
Ill click radio then a category, but nothing happens

I tried too, and there's supposed to be a "Create New Station" button, but there's obviously not. https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/guides/#!/article/Spotify-Radio This is the guide I tried to use, but it's no help at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.