Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:43 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Confirms Suppliers Do Not Use Unethically Sourced Tantalum

Apple today published its 2014 Supplier Responsibility Report, releasing the results of its supplier audit program for 2013 and confirming that its partners only use ethically sourced tantalum, which is a primary metal used in electronic components that can be also be mined from war-torn regions in Africa.

Quote:
In January 2014, we confirmed that all active, identified tantalum smelters in Apple's supply chain were validated as conflict-free by third-party auditors, and we will continue to require all suppliers to use only verified tantalum sources. We know supply chains fluctuate, and we'll maintain ongoing monitoring of our suppliers' smelters.
Apple's senior vice president of operations Jeff Williams, also spoke to The Wall Street Journal on the matter:
Quote:
In the company's 2014 Supplier Responsibility report published on Wednesday, Apple identified that its suppliers use 20 global smelters or refiners whose tantalum has been verified by third-party auditors as what the industry calls "conflict-free." Jeff Williams, Apple's senior vice president of operations, said the company has had success in pressuring tantalum smelters to agree to a third-party audit because Apple and other consumer electronics firms are the biggest users of the metal.
The gathering of tantalum, along with other minerals such as gold and tungsten, has become a controversial subject in the tech industry due to their sourcing at mines blamed for funding conflict in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). Apple added in its report that it will continue to support conflict-free supply lines and economic development in the region instead of abandoning the questionable minerals.

Apple's report also noted a number of other achievements for 2013, including driving suppliers to achieve a 95% compliance rate with the company's standard maximum 60-hour workweek, requiring suppliers to reimburse $3.9 million in excess foreign contract worker fees, and tracking the weekly work hours for over 1 million supply chain workers.

In its Supplier Responsibility Report for 2012 published last year, Apple revealed that it had dropped one of its suppliers in China after finding evidence of 74 underage workers at one facility.

Article Link: Apple Confirms Suppliers Do Not Use Unethically Sourced Tantalum
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:44 AM   #2
henzpwnapple
macrumors member

She is holding the iPad Pro!!
henzpwnapple is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:52 AM   #3
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

Dat iPad Mac Pro doh

Biggest stylus I've ever seen too.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:56 AM   #4
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Ah, yes, one can deduce just about anything by holding something while wearing a surgical mask and gloves.
AngerDanger is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 01:04 AM   #5
SoAnyway
macrumors 6502

Is Tantalum what the humans will be trying to take from Pandora in Avatar 2?

It does sound tantalizing...
SoAnyway is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 01:07 AM   #6
Snowshiro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
its partners do not use tantalum, a primary metal used in electronic components mined from war-torn regions in Africa.
Both the above [Edit: removed one - the admin changed it in the article] sentences as written suggest that Apple does not use this metal at all. Whereas, Apple's own statement suggests that they use it, but only from reputable suppliers.

Quote:
Apple identified that its suppliers use 20 global smelters or refiners whose tantalum has been verified

Last edited by Snowshiro; Feb 13, 2014 at 08:52 AM.
Snowshiro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 01:23 AM   #7
hrishidev
macrumors regular

Learnt about new element today.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 01:36 AM   #8
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishidev View Post
Learnt about new element today.
It's #73 and next to famous Tungsten which I think is the reason must people that learnt the table before the conflict began don't remember it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowshiro View Post
Both these sentences as written suggest that Apple does not use this metal at all. Whereas, Apple's own statement suggests that they use it, but only from reputable suppliers.
They meant Conflict mined tantalum. The way they wrote it is similar to people saying they don't buy conflict diamonds or conflict mineral diamond
Old Feb 13, 2014, 01:44 AM   #9
thasan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowshiro View Post
Both these sentences as written suggest that Apple does not use this metal at all. Whereas, Apple's own statement suggests that they use it, but only from reputable suppliers.
mm.... in the first, u missed the word, 'conflict'. in the second, u missed the 'war torn africa...'
thasan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 01:52 AM   #10
diazj3
macrumors 6502a

Right... or so they say. The devil is always in the details. They say the same thing about working conditions, and yet it's debatable.

And of course, cassiterite, gold, wolframite, tungsten... are another story.

According to international NGOs that handle the matter, no electronics manufacturer has their hands clean on this. Specially when it comes to mobile phones.
diazj3 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 02:03 AM   #11
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

I really don't care where the tantalum for my Macbook comes from.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 02:38 AM   #12
HardRain
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hebrew View Post
Which makes you a perfect example of what is wrong with the world today.
HardRain is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 02:58 AM   #13
Negritude
macrumors regular

The most important question:

Do regular Africans get any benefit from the mining of the innumerable minerals that the world depends on for various electronics?

The whole question of "conflict" diamonds or "conflict" tantalum or "conflict" this or "conflict" that is pretty irrelevant, considering the entire sub-saharan region has been getting raped of it's resources for centuries.

Where is the freaking social responsibility to make sure that a continent as rich in minerals as Africa, actually benefits in some tangible way from what is mostly western corporations taking stuff?
Negritude is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 03:46 AM   #14
Supermule
macrumors regular

Cool.

BTW -> Is he/she holding the new "giant" Ipad? I would love it!!
Supermule is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 04:23 AM   #15
SHirsch999
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzpwnapple View Post
More likely a MacBook of some kind. The apple logo is the wrong orientation for an iPad. It should be vertical for an iPad, not horizontal like the MacBooks.
SHirsch999 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 05:33 AM   #16
ghettochris
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hebrew View Post
This is me not insulting you for stupidity or ignorance.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negritude View Post

Do regular Africans get any benefit from the mining of the innumerable minerals that the world depends on for various electronics?

The whole question of "conflict" diamonds or "conflict" tantalum or "conflict" this or "conflict" that is pretty irrelevant, considering the entire sub-saharan region has been getting raped of it's resources for centuries.

Where is the freaking social responsibility to make sure that a continent as rich in minerals as Africa, actually benefits in some tangible way from what is mostly western corporations taking stuff?
I suggest reading the [disappearing spoon](http://www.amazon.com/The-Disappeari.../dp/0316051632) lots of info on the histories on wars of all the different elements.
ghettochris is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 05:48 AM   #17
Robert.Walter
macrumors 6502

If like me you opened this article on an iPhone and were not looking directly at the pic, you may be forgiven for thing it is a pic if Kermit the Frog holding a MacBook.
Robert.Walter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 06:47 AM   #18
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negritude View Post

No need to throw a tantalum!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 06:48 AM   #19
Boston007
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Walter View Post
If like me you opened this article on an iPhone and were not looking directly at the pic, you may be forgiven for thing it is a pic if Kermit the Frog holding a MacBook.
That's a shame.
As I held the article open on my Galaxy S4 I was easily able to see the technician holding the larger iPad.

Maybe if Apple released a bigger phone you could see it more clearly LOL
Old Feb 13, 2014, 06:55 AM   #20
xDKP
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
That's a shame.
As I held the article open on my Galaxy S4 I was easily able to see the technician holding the larger iPad.

Not even remotely funny...
xDKP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 07:04 AM   #21
roundaboutmusic
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
That's a shame.

Where'd Samsung get it's tantalum from?
roundaboutmusic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 07:41 AM   #22
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Is it me or was the title of the article here at Macrumors terrible? Why would you basically use a double negative to say "Do Not" and then "Unethically"....

Why wouldn't we just say "Apple confirms Suppliers use Ethically Sourced Tantalum"?
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 07:43 AM   #23
Boston007
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundaboutmusic View Post
Where'd Samsung get it's tantalum from?
hahaha probably unethically!

Hey man, I was just having some fun with the poster, all in good fun.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDKP View Post
Not even remotely funny...
Oh I think there's a HINT of funny in there, cmon man lighten up! It's almost Friday!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 07:45 AM   #24
oldhifi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzpwnapple View Post
I want one...
Old Feb 13, 2014, 07:55 AM   #25
Mullerman
macrumors newbie

Hmmmm

A device that you could prolong its life easier with would help.... like having the ability to put a battery in it. Docking cables that last more than a week and don't have chips in them for the landfill. Everything bonded with glue making it very difficult for after market repairs. Having large supplier chain in less environmentally regulated regimes is passing the buck. When Apple introduce a truly modular designs, then we can tick some green boxes.
Mullerman is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion