Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Rovio today announced a new version of its popular Angry Birds game after hinting about it yesterday on Twitter. The upcoming Angry Birds Stella features the "fierce and feisty" female lead character, Stella, along with her "friends and (fr)enemies."

angry-birds-stella.jpg
Angry Birds Stella will open a door to a part of the Angry Birds universe you've never seen before! There will be plenty of fun and adventure, but the bunch of passionate pals will also have to deal with some serious issues in order to protect their friendship and the environment they live in. Luckily, Stella and her friends are good at finding creative solutions!
Angry Birds Stella is expected to launch sometime this fall on iOS, as Rovio is also expected to tie-in animations, books, toys and more with its new title.

Rovio has rocketed to success on the back of the original Angry Birds title for the iPhone, bringing the game to other platforms and producing a line of Angry Birds-branded merchandising. Besides Angry Birds, Rovio has also released other titles such as Bad Piggies [Direct Link] and Amazing Alex [Direct Link] games.

Article Link: Rovio Announces New Female-Themed 'Angry Birds Stella'

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Dear Rovio

1. The Fonz only jumped the shark once. Step away from the bike.

2. You've gone to the well a few too many times. That's mud in the bucket in case you didn't know.

3. The birds aren't angry anymore. They're just tired.

None of the comments above have anything to do with women. Rovio has simply run out of idea. <- Not plural.

edit: Reason077 correctly pointed out to me that Arthur Fonzarelli actually jumped the shark on waterskis. Good catch and so much for my revisionist history.

Last edited:

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
I see they're going the Duck Dynasty route with this IP.

Where's the Angry Birds duct tape, thermal mugs, band-aids, shot glasses, and waffle makers?

I get taking it as far as you can, but geez...the birds aren't the only ones who are tired anymore.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
Lots of sour grapes here. Grow up people. This is how America works... new word for today: "franchise."

Ever hear of Batman, James Bond, Spiderman, Superman, Street Fighter, Plants vs Zombies, Simpsons, The Walking Dead, Sonic, Mario, Tekken, Call of Duty, and on and on and on. All of these have spilled into additional media areas... are they considered "milking" those franchises too?

In this case, it looks like Rovio is producing something a bit different. How about giving it a shot rather than throwing acid in their face right away?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
1. The Fonz only jumped the shark once. Step away from the bike.

But Indianna Jones was nuked in the fridge so therefore Rovio are going to continue milking money out them cartoon birds until angels in heaven sing of the misfortune of unfortunate smartphone users when they pay another 69p for another samey app.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
As a male, I can't wait to download this.

Well, we all know chicks don't game, but you can't fault them for trying.

Maybe King should try a female-themed version of Candy Crush. I could see that game being popular with the ladies?!

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Why all the negativity? If you don't like it, don't buy it. Also, it's too early to know what new aspects may be introduced to the gameplay.

How many versions of Call of Duty have there been already, and more to follow?

If you have a hit piece of software, you run with it...

Has anyone said about Apple 'Come on chaps, this computer and phone thing, you've done it enough now - stop making those and only sell something totally new and untested.'

No, you come up with other ideas whilst still selling and modifying what has proven to be successful already, this just makes sense, surely?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think Rovio needs to produce a non-angry bird app at this point, creating a retread of their original game is getting old. I guess the only way they'll stop if people stop buying/playing it.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I think Rovio needs to produce a non-angry bird app at this point, creating a retread of their original game is getting old. I guess the only way they'll stop if people stop buying/playing it.

They have and it doesn't catch on.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Flappy Bird & Angry Birds

So in the same week we see one chart-topping runaway success bird-based game withdrawn by its developer at the height of its success, at the other end of the spectrum we now see another one, wrung dry long ago, being given yet another desperate squeeze.

iWe

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Milking it much, Rovio?
Rovio is constantly evolving and diversifying the Angry Birds franchise and releasing quality games in the process. If they were just "milking it" they wouldn't be nearly as successful as they are.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
How is this female-themed...whatsoever??? Is it because they work together to solve problems? Because they are totally BFF's?

It sounds more kid-themed than anything. Furthermore the word stella is Latin for "star" (think stellar), and I see what looks vaguely like a telescope.

My Little Birdies : Friendship is Magic.

I'm probably okay with this.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
No. Another formerly gender-neutral thing becoming gendered (see also: Lego). sigh

The gendered Lego thing wasn't a bad idea, they were just poorly implemented. They made it so that there were two types of Legos: "The regular Legos" and "The easier, girlier Legos".

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Since when does Angry Birds need a "lead character"? My kids are all bored with AB, except for my architect, who likes the Bad Piggies game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.