Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LowVoltage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
I don't know if this is specifically a Mavericks issue or it's related to my machine, a Late 2013 iMac 27" model; i7 and 780m upgrades, 8MB memory, 3TB Fusion Drive

The phenomenon occurs occasionally with a variety of application launches or quick-viewing documents, but the most regular instance is when I go into the System Report screen from the "About This Mac" "More Info" sub option.

Basically, when clicking on System Report OS X does a kind of zooming graphical transition, but instead of a nice smooth effect from several frames of the zoom I get one small frame (a tiny version of what I'm going to see) which sticks in the middle of the screen for a few moments before Finder snaps to a nice full-sized window of System Information.

In the Apple System Log I find the same or similar messages that co-inside time-wise with this issue. The entries are as follows:

2014-02-14 00:08:31 -0500 WindowServer[109]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "System Information" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.
2014-02-14 00:08:32 -0500 WindowServer[109]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "System Information" after 1.38 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)
2014-02-14 00:08:58 -0500 WindowServer[109]: _CGXSetWindowBackgroundBlurRadius: Invalid window 0xffffffff
2014-02-14 00:08:58 -0500 WindowServer[109]: _CGXSetWindowBackgroundBlurRadius: Invalid window 0xffffffff​

I can't say the last two lines are always present in the log, but I added them anyway since they appeared with my last test of this effect before copying the lines over for this thread.

It may not seem like a big deal, however this is a new computer, having upgraded from an old Mac Pro and the old system never demonstrated any strange graphical issues like this in the OS except for when there was heavy disk usage. As I mentioned before, I'm running with a Fusion Drive, so the disk access should be nice and swift. There aren't any other apps running except for my browser. And I only noticed this phenomenon because I was looking at the logs because of other strangeness I won't go into here.

The "other strangeness" is not related to this issue, but I must say my step up to Mavericks has been an odd experience. There are plenty of things being held over from my migration to the new system, e.g. Terminal commands still say "aaron-links-mac-pro" which doesn't seem right since this is an iMac.

Anyway, any comments or concerns about the graphical hangups?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.