Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The official Apple Store app for iOS offers free books, apps and other content that users can download to their iOS device, and the company has recently updated its promotion to make Tetris [Direct Link] from Electronic Arts available for free.

The current Tetris offer is advertised as "A throwback for you. On us." Typically priced at $0.99 in the iOS App Store, the app is free when users redeem the promotion from within the Apple Store app. The program is designed to entice shoppers to use the Apple Store app and is different from the traditional App Store "App of the Week" sale, which is available to all App Store users and this week features the Max Axe [Direct Link] game from Naked Sky Entertainment.

apple_store_app_tetris.jpg
The new Tetris promotion is being offered alongside a free book giveaway in the U.S. and other countries for Franklin's Valentines that has been active since the Valentine's Day store makeover launched late last month. The Tetris offer can be accessed from individual store pages in the Apple Store app, which are found by tapping on the "Stores" button in the bottom toolbar. The free app is listed in the middle of the page, directly underneath the company's "Love is in the Air" Valentine's Day sale.

The Tetris promotion expires on April 7, 2014 and is subject to availability.

Article Link: Official 'Tetris' App Now Free in Apple Store App Promotion

Greazy

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2012
Just in case anyone else needs help finding it:

• Lauch the Apple Store app (the one with the shopping cart icon)
  • Tap on Stores at the bottom of the app

I had already used the app to select my default store so you may have to do that before seeing the promotion.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Probably won't ever play it, but it's temporarily free to download so why not. Put it right next to Flappy Bird and Angry Birds in the last page of my Games folder.

One thing I noticed was that after it downloaded, it brought me to EA's list of apps. Maybe that's part of how Apple is able to convince EA to give so many promotional copies of their apps away. EA being one of the oldest companies I boycott, won't actually ever make a cent off of me so their efforts are in vain.

euvnairb

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Goleta, CA
You also have to click on a store (any store) and it should be in the middle of the page. The instructions are a little unclear.

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
Let's take a moment out to remember how EA basically trampled an early iPhone OS developer for his (IIRC) free app "Tris" just so they could put this out on the app store.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Oh, yay! I gifted my dad Tetris last month, so now we can play it together. :D Not as good as the old multiplayer on the old Windows version, but still.

BTW, they redid the game awhile back to go alongside the Blitz version, so if you haven't played it for a few years now, the controls are a lot better.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
Not Free

Still showing as $0.99 for me.

EDIT: OK, you have to be in the apple store app, and even then you have to search for the closest store to you then the link finally shows up. What a PITA for an old game.

Last edited:

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011

Did you go in and select a store? When I clicked on it I was taken out of the Apple Store app to a redemption code page with a pre-populated code and when I redeemed it the app started downloading.

ETA: n/m. :)

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Tetris was THE game that got a generation of females onto gaming, and the world of gaming has been way more interesting for me ever since. ^_^

DonutHands

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Los Angeles

EDIT: OK, you have to be in the apple store app, and even then you have to search for the closest store to you then the link finally shows up. What a PITA for an old game.

lol @ moaning over steps to get something for free that you dont really need.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
thanks for letting us know about this.
I thought I had my App Store app set up to notify me. but i guess it doesn't

2 free things today (maybe my son or daughter will like the book)

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
Let's take a moment out to remember how EA basically trampled an early iPhone OS developer for his (IIRC) free app "Tris" just so they could put this out on the app store.
Love Tris!
It's the only game I still play with any regularity when I want to kill some time. The EA version is excessively flashy and graphically heavy, even in the "basic" mode, for such a simple game. Tris is much closer to the version I remember playing on the computer in the early 90's.

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
Wow - I downloaded Tris in 2008 on the last day it was available in the App Store before it was yanked, and that has been my "Tetris" for a long time. But having the official Tetris will be fun, too.
It's ridiculous how good Tris was, to the point where it somehow looks and feels good to play on an iPhone 5S even though the app doesn't even support retina or the taller screen.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
It looks like you can only do this for iPhone, not iPad.

Yep, super lame. And you can't even use the iPhone version of the Apple Store app to grab it as it won't let you run it on the iPad. WTF Apple?

Now I have to wait for the wife to get home so I can do it from her iPhone. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.