Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
Long story short, may use airline miles to redeem an iPad Air 32GB wifi only model.

How much do you guys think I can sell it for new and unopened?

Thanks!

Prise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
I've never sold stuff online, i.e., craigslist or ebay.

In general, what do you guys think is the best way to go about selling this? Would silver or black have any bearing on which is easier to sell?

Also, since it's brand new and unopened (can provide receipt of miles redemption transaction), what happens if it's DOA? Does the buyer return it to me, or claim warranty at the Apple store?

Thanks again, this is very new to me.

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
Sell it on craigslist. Meet the buyer at Starbucks. Let the buyer open it and turn it on. It should come with battery charged. Assist the buyer to set it up and register it with apple. Then from that point on the iPad is registered under the buyers name and covered by apples 1 year warranty.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
i would say $550 if it is unopened. i'd ask for a non-refundable deposit of maybe $50 if the buyer opens it and backs out. then you will have a used iPad for all intents and purposes.

Prise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
Thanks for the input, guys. Makes sense, think I'll just follow some of the advice here.

Prise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
First time I'm going to try and sell something over the net.

Any general advice and/or suggestions to follow when using craigslist would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
First time I'm going to try and sell something over the net.

Any general advice and/or suggestions to follow when using craigslist would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Meet at a bank, preferably your bank parking lot. They 1. have cameras. 2. you can deposit the wad of cash immediately.

Take cash only.

I use Chase, which is really popular. A few times the buyer is also Chase customer. He goes up to the same ATM, pulls money out, and I put it right back in under my name. Easy.

Prise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
Update...

Wow, never realized the online selling arena is so "colorful."

After reading on some of the pros and cons, with all of the chargeback and "not received as described" scams, I can't imagine any seller willing to sell any electronics even remotely valuable on either ebay or amazon marketplace.

Listed my iPad for $560, and the litany of weird and disingenuous CL replies have been too many to mention. Is this normal? Or, just the case with electronic goods, which seems to be a favorite of scammers all over.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
i would say $550 if it is unopened. i'd ask for a non-refundable deposit of maybe $50 if the buyer opens it and backs out. then you will have a used iPad for all intents and purposes.

Good suggestion. I would add that once it's opened it's going to be tougher to convince the next potential buyer it's new.

----------

Wow, never realized the online selling arena is so "colorful."

After reading on some of the pros and cons, with all of the chargeback and "not received as described" scams, I can't imagine any seller willing to sell any electronics even remotely valuable on either ebay or amazon marketplace.

Listed my iPad for $560, and the litany of weird and disingenuous CL replies have been too many to mention. Is this normal? Or, just the case with electronic goods, which seems to be a favorite of scammers all over.

Yes CL is known for all types of nefarious messages. I always ignore those as well as the sob stories from Nigeria. :D

You can cut thru all the noise by demanding cash and request to meet in a public place that's busy like a mall that has security.

That's how I sold my HP Touchpad for the price I paid.

Z8beema

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2013
Mass.
Long story short, may use airline miles to redeem an iPad Air 32GB wifi only model.

Thanks!

Swappa.com is pretty safe. I bought and sold on it. If you haven't already got the 32 gigs it would be worth while to just get a 16 if it saves you any miles. More Storage usually doesn't get much more money

Prise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
Swappa.com is pretty safe. I bought and sold on it. If you haven't already got the 32 gigs it would be worth while to just get a 16 if it saves you any miles. More Storage usually doesn't get much more money

Right, which is what I'm starting to realize now. Too late, since I've already redeemed it.

Swappa isn't an option, since I assume they offer a premium for "brand new" still in the plastic wrapper condition.

Z8beema

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2013
Mass.
Right, which is what I'm starting to realize now. Too late, since I've already redeemed it.

Swappa isn't an option, since I assume they offer a premium for "brand new" still in the plastic wrapper condition.

I've never sold anything brand new on swappa but the only fees for selling is whatever percent paypal charges and 10 dollars for the buyer of the item

Prise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
I've never sold anything brand new on swappa but the only fees for selling is whatever percent paypal charges and 10 dollars for the buyer of the item

PayPal is a deal breaker for me. I *will* never accept payments of any kind via PayPal.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Sell it on craigslist. Meet the buyer at Starbucks. Let the buyer open it and turn it on. It should come with battery charged. Assist the buyer to set it up and register it with apple. Then from that point on the iPad is registered under the buyers name and covered by apples 1 year warranty.

What happens if after all of the above is done, the buyer decides not to buy it!:mad:

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013

Thanks!

It can vary. I've seen them sell locally for $560-$600 CAD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.