Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Was reading about this earlier and it doesn't seem like anyone wrote about it.

Starting Feb 2 and running until Feb 15, if you register your phone number with Best Buy and upgrade anytime between then and Dec 31st, 2014, you'll get a $50 gift card that can be used towards a new phone or accessories. Pretty sweet! I'm going to take advantage of this to get my iPhone 6 later this year. :cool: For me, that just about covers sales tax! (CA charges tax on whole amount, not the subsidized price)

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2014
Are you able to keep unlimited data when going through BestBuy?

I know some non-carrier places force you to chose a new tiered data plan when checking out.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I went to BB over the holidays and you simply say you want the phone. You keep your plan.

The holiday deal was sweeter. 5s 32BG was $99/$229. and 5c $0/$99

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Probably not. Those holiday deals you saved more than $50. Target was giving out $50 gift cards too. I wonder how can Best Buy give you and early upgrade?

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Probably not. Those holiday deals you saved more than $50. Target was giving out $50 gift cards too. I wonder how can Best Buy give you and early upgrade?

I'm not understanding. You upgrade when you are eligible. You get the card as long as you register your number with Best Buy between Feb 2nd and Feb 15th and upgrade on or before Dec 31st, 2014 at which point the iPhone 6 will be out.

Note the deal only works if you renew a 2 year contract on Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Just remember that if you want the new phone in the first couple of days, then Best Buy, Target, Radio Shack, etc, usually don't have them, although they say they will beforehand.

mactumors

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
The holiday deal was sweeter. 5s 32BG was $99/$229. and 5c $0/$99

This deal worked ON TOP OF the holiday deals last year. So you could have snagged a 5s for $49.

----------

Just remember that if you want the new phone in the first couple of days, then Best Buy, Target, Radio Shack, etc, usually don't have them, although they say they will beforehand.

Yes they do. Best Buy has launch day phones. Not many. But they get some. They usually sell out on launch day and then you have to wait a month for more though.

----------

This is actually an incredible deal. It works on top of the sale prices at Best Buy. Best Buy usually has 50 or 100 dollar off deals for the holidays. This deal gets you an additional 50 off that. Everyone on MacRumors always misses this and regrets it when the new phones come out. There is no downside to putting in your phone number now, even if you don't use the deal.

This deserves to be stickied and a page 2 news story IMO.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They had this last year as well u believe. Curious now well it worked for those who tried it.

mactumors

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
They had this last year as well u believe. Curious now well it worked for those who tried it.

I've used it the last 2 years. Works great. If you buy the phone in-store then you can apply the gift card to the price of the phone right then.

The only downside is the highly trained staff at Best Buy.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
The only downside is the highly trained staff at Best Buy.

Yeah.

Also, regarding the 1 deal per item (price match or Gift Card not both), I've been able to get both in the past. You just have to speak to the right idiot, then come back and fight with the manager. Thats how I got my iPad mini on a price match for $499 (64GB Model) and a $30 gift card. The confirmation for the card showed up on my receipt, and even deducted the points from Reward Zone. Went back, fought with the manager, and turns out the rep left the card, ready to go, on the counter. Couldn't have been happier.

A month later, I used my Reward Zone points, that gift card, and a price match to get the Apple Wireless Keyboard for under $30 with tax.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I'm not understanding. You upgrade when you are eligible. You get the card as long as you register your number with Best Buy between Feb 2nd and Feb 15th and upgrade on or before Dec 31st, 2014 at which point the iPhone 6 will be out.

Note the deal only works if you renew a 2 year contract on Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint.

Sorry I was thinking when you wrote that you can upgrade anytime meaning that you don't have to wait for your 2yr agreement to end.

@ mactumors I purchased the 5c 16GB for $0 for my parents. I guess adding a $50 gift card would be nice.

Side note… I'm surprised to see these iPHone 5s/5c on sale.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
This deal is why I've remained with Best Buy on my last two iPhone upgrades (iP4, iP5). When I got my 4 from them in 2010 they pricematched a deal saving me $50 on the subsidized price. Then, in 2012 I registered for this deal and they graciously applied it to an openbox 64gb iPhone 5 which I traded in my 4 to get and paid only $100 out of pocket!

I've now registered for the current deal and anxiously await the iPhone 6 come the fall. I'll preorder with Best Buy and get in the "queue" which is surprisingly not bad because they just email you when your phone is ready to pick up.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am still on "unlimited" data AT&T. I had to check and double check when I got my iPhone 5 that I could keep the unlimited data because I was worried the BestBuy person would just switch me to a 2gb data bucket. Luckily they have full ability to keep you "unlimited." I put it in quotes because its really just a 5gb plan for $30/mo.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010

The deal worked great for me last year. During the holiday season I got $50 off their already discounted price. I think they were about $75 off at the time, so I got the phone at about $125 off total. That's a lot better deal than the 5s is available for even now.

I tried to use the deal on another line for a launch day iPhone as well. Of course finding stock at Best Buy is hard. I ended up getting one from Apple instead because I decided I'd rather get one sooner than save the $50.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
No problem. I've got my plan all lined up ready to go for the end of the year. I've already got a new number lined up and I'm happy with it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.