Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fitgirl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
Wait, Wait, Wait. I've had seven iPhone 5's and NONE of them have rattled.

Really! So this proves that not all of them do this.

----------

I'm not sure how people are saying this is normal, when you do a video and all you can hear is click click click when you play it back that is not normal at all,

----------

Last edited:

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
My 5s has never rattled, neither has my moms, my girlfriends, nor my friends. I still say people must have supersonic hearing, exaggerating the sound wildly, or has back luck with iPhones.

fitgirl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
My 5s has never rattled, neither has my moms, my girlfriends, nor my friends. I still say people must have supersonic hearing, exaggerating the sound wildly, or has back luck with iPhones.

Wow your very lucky, and I don't have supersonic hearing lol mine is pretty loud, do you know what your production date is?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I'm not sure how people are saying this is normal, when you do a video and all you can hear is click click click when you play it back that is not normal at all,

Are you shaking it while you take the video? That isn't going to make for a very watchable clip. Does it rattle when you're holding it steady and making slow, deliberate movements(like you should when you're filming something)?

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
I went in about the "rattle". It was much loose than "as intended". I was turned away saying its normal since the person that helped me showed me his iphone5 rattled also.

My 5s was rattling like something was loose. It was the power button for sure. The only way I can reproduce that rattle was to amplify it with the custom long long vibration. Got my phone replaced on the spot.

Have you tried setting a custom vibration with a long vibrate then shake it a little while holding it like you are on a phone call. If you can replicate it, it will get replaced.

fitgirl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
I can reproduce the rattle by just shaking it lighly up and down and side to side, the weird thing is that it does not effect the vibratin of the phone.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Well my 8th iPhone 5 does have a really small rattle. I held the lock, volume buttons and mute switch and there was a rattle however it isn't bad. If it is pretty bad, I'd take it to Apple just to be sure.

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
Fitgirl - I'm not sure on the production date, how can I find out? Mine and my moms were both purchased in early November. My girlfriend got hers right after launch, and one of my friends got his just 2 weeks ago.

fitgirl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
Went to best buy and they heard the rattle and they couldn't believe it, they exchanged it for a brand new one and this one is perfect no rattle,no yellow screen or other issues that I can see, production week 45 November

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
Fitgirl - I had a feeling you would be able to exchange. I don't think issues like that are the norm at all. Glad you have a fully functional 5s now that you can enjoy!!

jasonmgreen77

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2014
iPhone 5s rattle

I actually own the iPhone 5s and mine rattled as all of yours do. I actually took my phone back to Verizon and they pulled ten devices from their stock and let me see that they all rattled as well. I've found a case that eliminates the rattle completely. It's the Lifeproof fre' case. It completely eliminates it and gives just as much protection as the Otterbox Defender.

benoit85

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2013
Just had my phone replaced due to a clicky screen and the new phone rattles as did the old one. The new one was made in the 3rd week of January and the old one in November. it's not an issue that bothers me really as im using the Apple leather case which helps slightly and i only notice it if i shake the phone and sometimes when i set it down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.