Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Wow. That's pretty impressive. I see you're on an Android phone. I'm curious to know which Verizon iPhones are able to take advantage of this network upgrade? Is the change going to be beneficial to the 5s only or will the 5 get some love still?

EDIT: Never mind, I assumed from the blueish color scheme on the app that you were using an Android device. I see now that the iOS app has that color scheme. So, are you using a 5 or a 5s?
It was on my iPad Air lol. The iPhone 5s gets the same results. :)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Wow. That's pretty impressive. I see you're on an Android phone. I'm curious to know which Verizon iPhones are able to take advantage of this network upgrade?
I couldn't easily find a more current list, but this is from December:
AWS requires an AWS-ready smartphone, including the Verizon-sold Samsung Galaxy S4, Apple's iPhone 5C and iPhone 5S, along with the Droid Maxx, Ultra and Mini.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...as_execs_admit_to_some_performance_hot_spots_

In my area (Virginia Beach), Verizon has been recently supplementing their LTE coverage with AWS. Which is good, because their LTE signal here is nowhere near as strong as their voice/3G network, and their LTE speeds have declined significlantly over the last two years.

I'm at a location that has the new AWS coverage. The LTE signal here recently went from 1 bar to 4 bars when they flipped on the AWS. Here's how fast it is.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    824 KB · Views: 63

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
Yup, Kudos to Tmobile for shaking **** up, too bad your service still blows and verizon is where i'm staying until you can step out of 2007 and have something beyond Edge service on an iPhone from LA to Bay Area.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I care more about storing more money in my bank than storing data in Verizon's cloud. T-Mobile is still a better deal with good service, at least where I live.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Yup, Kudos to Tmobile for shaking **** up, too bad your service still blows and verizon is where i'm staying until you can step out of 2007 and have something beyond Edge service on an iPhone from LA to Bay Area.

Pretty much

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
I moved to a rural community and my AT&T service was non-existent. In fact, even when I drove into town, there would be huge gaps in service. I moved to Verizon a month ago and was forced to go with their minimum $80 500 meg plan which cost me $25 more per month then a grandfathered AT&T plan I had. Still, I was happy because my service has been near flawless with Verizon which is literally the opposite of my experience with AT&T.

With these changes, I was able to go down to their new 250 meg plan since I almost always have access to wifi, and save $25 per month. I'm now paying the same I was with AT&T, getting the same amount of data, but also getting unlimited calling and unlimited text which I wasn't with AT&T. I'm pretty happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.