Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HantaYo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
I am likely migrating from Aperture to Lightroom. Trying out the Adobe CC Photography package trial which includes Lightroom and Photoshop. Just curious how many people use the photoshop and lightroom combination? Photoshop looks to have a step learning curve so I might not be able to fully try it out within the 30 days. Holding off on buying training books till I go this route. I know of quite a few pictures I have that could be well served in photoshop. Any thoughts?

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
I use both, but I'm an artist. I don't do much photo work in Photoshop. I use photoshop mostly for graphic art work.

You should consider Photoshop Elements. For $100 it might be a better bet for a photographer. I haven't used it 10 years, so I can't comment on its current capabilities, but 10 years ago it offered photographers much of what they could do in the much more expensive full Photoshop program.

Also, I wouldn't rent any software. Renting will cost you much more than buying the program outright. Don't be fooled by upgrade talk. Photoshop was a mature program at CS3. CS6 is more than many graphic professionals need. I use CS6, but only because Adobe switched to their rental model and I wanted to get it before it was no longer available. Had Adobe not switched to a rental model, I would have happily stayed with CS3. I'll stick with CS6 for as many years as possible.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Photoshop looks to have a step learning curve so I might not be able to fully try it out within the 30 days.

It depends on prior background and what you want to do with it. In its essence provides tools to adjust colors, paint, and select. Color management options attempt to map things consistently and provide options for out of bound issues, but that is an entire topic in itself. Many people do get away with just photoshop. If the cost is an issue and you don't need CMYK, download Gimp or try Pixelmator.

logista

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
I use both Lightroom and Photoshop for photography.

Lightroom is similar to Aperture in that it will manage your image files, and allow you to do non-destructive global edits. You can also do localized adjustments -- brighten some areas, darken others, do some spot healing, etc. All non-destructive.

Photoshop I reserve for doing those things that I can't manage in Lightroom: HDR, composites, focus stacking, more advanced healing, special color corrections, that sort of thing. However, I still use LR to manage the files, since you can go directly into PS from LR and files you save will come back to LR.

If, in your normal way of doing photography, you've never said, "Man, I wish I could somehow blend these two photos together!" then you probably don't need PS (or any other image editor with layering) yet.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I use LR as my main environment. I had photoshop and elements and deleted both. I have the following plugins: Nik suite, Perfect Photo Suite 8, and Pixelmator needed. All of those plugins cost around half of the purchase price of Photoshop.

HantaYo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
I am thinking photoshop would be nice for the advanced healing, HDR, content aware fill, etc. that photoshop elements lacks. I'll really research the differences between photoshop and photoshop elements. Maybe elements would be the better option.

Could the lens flare be removed in this photograph either in PSE or PS? I was not happy with the results in Aperture (it passed but just not that great)

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Here's a 2 minute Lightroom tweak.

Obviously it's not done, but it could be completed.

I do almost everything in LR, and turn to PS only for those things that require it.

Attachments

• lens_flare_2_min_LR_fix.jpg
    lens_flare_2_min_LR_fix.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 119

HantaYo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
OK here is what I came up with in PS without knowing what I was doing. Better than aperture already. I'll check out LR and perfect photo.

Attachments

• lens flare-Edit.jpg
    lens flare-Edit.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 131

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I use both. Although I primarily use Lightroom 5 to edit my images. Normally once I'm done post processing in Lightroom, I export to Photoshop CS6 to do any layer mask work, or to simply resize the image for the web to upload to Flickr, 500px, and my photo web site. In all honesty, if I didn't shoot timelapses as well, I could probably eliminate Photoshop from my workflow.

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
I used to use Lightroom, but now do all my editing in Photoshop so went the other way & switched from Lightroom to Aperture.

Lightroom certainly has more editing features, so I can understand why many users prefer it over Aperture if they're using their DAM as a standalone application.

I don't use the DAM's editing tools - I use it specifically for file management & raw conversion then do absolutely all my editing in photoshop. For this, I think aperture is better because it offers more management flexibility and fantastic raw conversion.

You're right that photoshop has a learning curve. If you want to use it, you will need to put the hours in to learning how it works. Based on what you're looking for, it sounds like you might be able to do everything you need using Lightroom's editing tools without also renting photoshop.

filmbufs

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
Oklahoma
I use both Lightroom and Photoshop. I'll cull my images in LR and do some preliminary processing. But for my use, PS is just more powerful and precise.

There is a site called Creativelive.com that offers free extensive tutorials from highly skilled instructors, concentrating primarily on photoshop and photography. These sessions run anywhere from one hour to three full-day sessions. They are free on the day of broadcast (which repeats for free in the evening) and then available afterwards for purchase.

In late February, they will be holding their 2nd annual Photoshop Week (see schedule HERE.) I was pretty darn good in PS before I caught their 1st PS Week and that basically made me into a super turbo PS user. Amazing stuff.

HantaYo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
In late February, they will be holding their 2nd annual Photoshop Week (see schedule HERE.) I was pretty darn good in PS before I caught their 1st PS Week and that basically made me into a super turbo PS user. Amazing stuff.
The Photoshop Week looks pretty impressive. Wish I did not have to work. I might swing Friday.

Lightroom certainly has more editing features, so I can understand why many users prefer it over Aperture if they're using their DAM as a standalone application.

The Aperture DAM is tops. I wish there was a perfect program that did it all right.

I am checking out PS elements but lacking the content aware fill, except stitching and spot healing, might be the game changer. I did the Content aware fill on my lens flare photo and it looks pretty impressive.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
If you want a cost effective path, do Aperture 3.x and purchase Perfect Photo Suite 8. That will give you a great set of tools to enhance a photo using both layered and non layered approaches. Suggest you view some of the Suite 8 training videos and archived webinars.

Aperture support: http://www.ononesoftware.com/aperture-learning-center/

LR support: http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/lightroom-presets/

Suite 8 training videos:http://www.youtube.com/ononesoftwareu

archived Suite 8 webinars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6_uHM1RBLs&list=PLbj4MBPcVWiXylnnY96tN1dsgK3KMP8tr

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I like how you can upload your photos to Lightroom and send it to Photoshop to do some editing… and bounce it back to LR. I needed to add a watermark for my clients on each image. At the event I had every hold up a blank card so that I could post something on the image later. It was so easy to just move back and forth between apps.

The print module in LR is nice too. I'm still using LR3 which is fine for now. When I upgrade my Mac I will update my apps.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
In the same way, I can send a photo to any of the plugins I have in LR, Nik, Pixelmator, and Perfect Photo Suite 8. Aperture uses can do likewise.

HantaYo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
If you want a cost effective path, do Aperture 3.x and purchase Perfect Photo Suite 8. That will give you a great set of tools to enhance a photo using both layered and non layered approaches. Suggest you view some of the Suite 8 training videos and archived webinars.

Alas, my Perfect Photo Suite trial expired in December without using it. How comparable is it to Photoshop Elements? I just found one comparison and it rated photoshop elements as more robust for tools and capabilities.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Alas, my Perfect Photo Suite trial expired in December without using it. How comparable is it to Photoshop Elements? I just found one comparison and it rated photoshop elements as more robust for tools and capabilities.

IMHO, that reviewer was clueless. Go view the tutorials and webinars on the OnOneSoftware site and ask yourself how easy it is to do all of those things with Elements. Where in Elements do you get all those presets and filters ready to use?

HantaYo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
IMHO, that reviewer was clueless. Go view the tutorials and webinars on the OnOneSoftware site and ask yourself how easy it is to do all of those things with Elements. Where in Elements do you get all those presets and filters ready to use?

Off to watch some tutorials. Nothing is ever easy :confused: It is being to look like several programs might be the best option.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I also need to watermark my photos.But i use this tool to post process my photos instead of photoshop ie: Watermark,resize,add exif and export to flickr

Does not have a learning curve like PS quite easy to use.
Unfortunately this software does not have Mac Version right now, i think they are making one.
But im using this now on Mac with parallels,works like a charm

Normally I use Lightroom for my Watermark. This particular event called for me to write something on the card each person was using. I like using LR for my printing, so with this batch of photos I wanted to work inside of Lightroom and and do a quick run through PS then back to LR for printing.

You can create an image Watermark in Photoshop, save as a png file and then upload it to Lightroom. Or type something inside LR under the watermark section. There are a lot of how to's on youtube that you can follow. LR keeps it simple.

I don't use parallel. There are so many things you can do in the Apple environment that you don't need MS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.